Remote Start and Opening Door

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 10:01 AM
hqduong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start and Opening Door

Noob question.

I like using the App that starts the car before I head outside the house. It's great so I don't have to sit inside the car while it's freezing.

But I hate it when I open the door, it stops the engine.

Any way I can keep the engine on while I enter the car when I started the engine with the App?
Old 12-01-15, 10:06 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Nope, that's the Lexus way.
Old 12-01-15, 12:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

been discussed many times.

Lexus reasoning is that the car can be driven away if it is running with or without the key after being remote started.

My dealer demonstrated this to me, by remote starting the car with my phone while inside the car and driving off while I stood in the parking lot with the key fob in my hand.
Old 12-01-15, 12:05 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
been discussed many times.

Lexus reasoning is that the car can be driven away if it is running with or without the key after being remote started.

My dealer demonstrated this to me, by remote starting the car with my phone while inside the car and driving off while I stood in the parking lot with the key fob in my hand.
That doesn't make sense. The enform app states if the door is opened, the brake pedal is depressed or the gear is changed from P the car will shutoff. I don't see how your salesmen was able to drive off with the car in remote start mode.
Old 12-01-15, 12:22 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nixx621
That doesn't make sense. The enform app states if the door is opened, the brake pedal is depressed or the gear is changed from P the car will shutoff. I don't see how your salesmen was able to drive off with the car in remote start mode.

me either, but he did it. I've tried repeating what I thought he did and stepping on the brake shuts the car off. But that was the excuse he gave me.

every other car I've had you remote start, then turn the key and away you go, not sure why Lexus couldn't make it a simple press the button while fob is in the car to verify the security, but they didn't.
Old 12-01-15, 01:00 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

me either, but he did it. I've tried repeating what I thought he did and stepping on the brake shuts the car off. But that was the excuse he gave me.

every other car I've had you remote start, then turn the key and away you go, not sure why Lexus couldn't make it a simple press the button while fob is in the car to verify the security, but they didn't.
He probably had the second key fob in his pocket. LOL.

I agree with you though. The system is only so useful with the timed shutoff. My neighbor's Chevy Malibu starts up and continues running when he gets into it and drives off. If Chevy can do it I don't see why Lexus can't.
Old 12-01-15, 07:04 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nixx621
He probably had the second key fob in his pocket. LOL.

I agree with you though. The system is only so useful with the timed shutoff. My neighbor's Chevy Malibu starts up and continues running when he gets into it and drives off. If Chevy can do it I don't see why Lexus can't.
Atleast you guys get the app...

I live in Calgary where it hits -40, and Lexus has yet to release the app in Canada. My understanding is they won't.
Old 12-01-15, 11:14 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Stupidest excuse. All other cars with that feature don't shut the engine off after opening the door, and can't drive them away without the key. You have to hit the 'start' button with the fob in range to 'wake up' the car, or you can't get the tranny out of park, even with the brake pedal depressed. That feature is useless to me on this car, and will never use it.
Old 12-02-15, 02:38 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Stupidest excuse. All other cars with that feature don't shut the engine off after opening the door, and can't drive them away without the key. You have to hit the 'start' button with the fob in range to 'wake up' the car, or you can't get the tranny out of park, even with the brake pedal depressed. That feature is useless to me on this car, and will never use it.

I completely agree. on my last 3 GM cars I remote started my cars from my office with the OnStar app, my office is a good 5 minute walk to the parking lot, during the summer to cool down the interior, during the winter to heat it up.

I have done it once with Lexus, and it annoyed me that the car shut off when I touched the door.

I even tried to use the app to unlock the door thinking that might trick the car, but no the app failed due to the car running.
Old 12-02-15, 03:07 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a programming thing, and bad programming on Lexus's part. Probably they got sued for the remote start and the car being stolen. In my 2011 Camaro I could remote start, open the door and the car still ran. But, to get the car out of gear I had to insert the key in the ignition.

The Lexus has no ignition slot hence maybe the reason for the shut down. What I don't understand is why Lexus couldn't keep the vehicle running since the vehicle knows you have the key since you walked up to the car handle and opened it. The countdown timer is still running and if you don't get to the car within 10 minutes it shuts down anyway.

It's one of those mysterious of life I suppose, and one we'll probably never know why.
Old 12-02-15, 03:37 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Only reason why I didn't renew my Enform app after the free year trial
Old 12-02-15, 04:36 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GearHead69
It's a programming thing, and bad programming on Lexus's part. Probably they got sued for the remote start and the car being stolen. In my 2011 Camaro I could remote start, open the door and the car still ran. But, to get the car out of gear I had to insert the key in the ignition.

The Lexus has no ignition slot hence maybe the reason for the shut down. What I don't understand is why Lexus couldn't keep the vehicle running since the vehicle knows you have the key since you walked up to the car handle and opened it. The countdown timer is still running and if you don't get to the car within 10 minutes it shuts down anyway.

It's one of those mysterious of life I suppose, and one we'll probably never know why.

ignition slot is irrelevant, most other brands with push button start (MBZ, Porsche, BMW) you push the button to switch from remote start to full start.
Old 12-03-15, 01:50 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Only reason why I didn't renew my Enform app after the free year trial
Yup. Me too. Wasn't worth the $300 bucks.
Old 12-03-15, 02:44 PM
hudsonc
Driver School Candidate

I just spent almost 600 for my remote start and I hate it! My Acura would go really far with it, I cant get this one to work past 20 feet it seems. Im so mad.
You would think it would be far better than that. I choose the fob and not the enform.
Any suggestions????