Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 02:47 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Lemon Lawed for Brake Squeal?

Saw this while randomly perusing cars.com
http://m.cars.com/vehicledetail/#vdp...ngId=653932762

Someone must have been real unhappy with the squealing to dump a car for something so minimal IMO. Would any of you pick it up given its branded?
Attached Thumbnails Lemon Lawed for Brake Squeal?-photo516.jpg   Lemon Lawed for Brake Squeal?-photo270.jpg  
Old 12-09-15, 05:39 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

People are stupid.

My IS-F brakes squeak when cold, its just part of the life when having aggressive pads
Old 12-09-15, 06:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that dealer is a scam
Old 12-09-15, 07:08 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

That is weird. 4 owners and 4th was able to Lemmon in less than 3 months for brake squeal. I practiced law out of Florida for 5 years and thought you had to purchase new, not used, and the defect had to be a substantial defect that impaired use, safety or value. Brake squeal would not be a substantial defect. After 3 attempts to fix a substantial defect, one may be entitled to arbitration after the manufacturer is provided another 10 days to fix the substantial defect. Not sure how it would be possible to accomplish all of that in 2 1/2 months, notwithstanding that was apparently the 4th owner.

I would be curious as to the real story here.
Old 12-09-15, 07:40 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
that dealer is a scam
I wouldn't call Off Lease Only a scam, you just have to understand there's a reason they list cars for thousands less than just about everywhere else. Majority of the cars sold have been in prior accidents.

Originally Posted by DougHII
That is weird. 4 owners and 4th was able to Lemmon in less than 3 months for brake squeal. I practiced law out of Florida for 5 years and thought you had to purchase new, not used, and the defect had to be a substantial defect that impaired use, safety or value. Brake squeal would not be a substantial defect. After 3 attempts to fix a substantial defect, one may be entitled to arbitration after the manufacturer is provided another 10 days to fix the substantial defect. Not sure how it would be possible to accomplish all of that in 2 1/2 months, notwithstanding that was apparently the 4th owner.

Curious as well. The multiple owners is what caught my attention.
Old 12-11-15, 02:30 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII

I suspect that anything having to do with the brakes would be considered a safety issue.

and while I can't speak to FL,

In CA any owner can file lemon law on a vehicle as long as it is still under the 3/36k or 4/50k warranty. doesn't matter if he is the 200th owner. If the vehicle is still under the original factory warranty and the issue cannot be resolved within 3 visits or the car being out of service for more than 30 days it can be lemon lawed.

Again this is CA I am talking about and CA has some of the strictest laws regarding automobiles.

My 2012 Camaro was Lemon Lawed in Oct of this year (2015) with 37,000 miles on it.

It was lemon lawed because the convertible top had a manufacturing (design) defect that would cause it to catch and tear on the frame when raising and lowering. My top was replaced 4 times and out of service for over 90 days since it was bought new in 2012.

I qualified for buy back on the first trip in month 2 of ownership when they had my car for 7 weeks to replace the top. I gave them 3 more opportunities to correct the problem and 3 years, after the 4th top I was done.

I got a full refund of the MSRP, all interest paid, all registration fees, and all maintenance (oil changes, brakes, and tires) under the CA Lemon Law.

As for the number of owners on this vehicle, it was sold at auction twice, each time is a title transfer, so technically it has been owned by one person, but the title has changed hands to several private dealers through auction.

Last edited by mjeds; 12-11-15 at 02:33 PM.