RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 07:54 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
Email Sent
toystry, i sent you a PM.
Old 01-08-16, 08:19 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The price for this is very un-Lexus like. I may have to take a pass because it doesn't cost enough...
The following users liked this post:
MJG87 (04-30-17)
Old 01-08-16, 08:21 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

inally Posted by toystry View Post

1. How do you like it?
- loved it in my 3G IS - it's ok and kind of a fun toy. I had the part and it fit. I don't always use it
2. How much lag do you think is removed?
- depends on the color you use - but a lot
3. Where did you mount the rocker switch?
- in a dead switch location - all wires hidden looks 100% stock
4. Where did you mount the control module?
Under the steering column
5. Any tips/tricks regarding the 7 settings (besides "it's always on RED", lol)?
Green is my daily mode
Yellow - can get jerky in the city
Purple - I tend to use this on the highway ( see map for colors )
Red - you'll spin tires and Lauch the car like a rocket

I had the part, since this really woke up my old 3rd gen is350 F. I wouldn't drive without it. Now, with the Rcf, I tend to use it when I want to have fun. Since I live in the suburbs, city driving can be difficult and herky jerky in the wrong mode. On the highway or light to light this thing shines.

Read the instructions. Know the modes and memorize the maps. It does reduce lag and you do feel the difference. I drop it in red and take people,for rides. Once A date described the acceleration as being on a rollercoaster. I laughed
Old 01-09-16, 04:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
Questions.
most, if not all of your questions would be answered by looking at the product page...

1. Anyone have any qualms about its use negatively impacting the wear/tear/reliability of the fuel pump?
Absolutely not. All the apexi controller does is increase the throttle position in a linear line vs stock (in red mode). It does not go above or beyond WOT
2. Why so many modes - 7?
some of the modes are eco friendly, others bring the throttle position up as a non-linear relationship such as the boost modes which I personally did not enjoy.
3. How do you enable/cycle through the modes and know which mode you're in?
The throttle controller button changes colors as you press it
4. Anyone do a 0-60 run and notice any difference over stock?
I have not, however it does feel as if it would. Although I believe 0-60 stock vs apexi would be similar as you are apply WOT right off the hop.

Thanks for the response. I'd be curious to know if mashing the pedal from a dead stop gives the same feel in launch with the apexi controller's "best" setting enabled vs OEM's best (Sport S+).
Old 01-09-16, 11:26 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
Could lexus somehow say this voids your warranty?
Anything is possible. Lexus knows many F owner mod their cars, but this integration is not aero or exhaust related.
Old 01-09-16, 03:22 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks for the response. I'd be curious to know if mashing the pedal from a dead stop gives the same feel in launch with the apexi controller's "best" setting enabled vs OEM's best (Sport S+).
The Apexi controller, adjusts the response time of the pedal, so there is going to be a difference. In hi boost mode (purple), the pedal feels instantaneous, with OEM Sport S+, there is a 0.2-0.3 sec delay before the car starts to move.

Now with brake torquing, both will feel the same, except that the throttle position for the Apexi will be higher than the OEM.
Old 01-11-16, 08:51 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Pic of install / what you need to " replace " aka the accel switch on the back of the I pedal.

Pic of the install

Switch in stock location

What you need to disconnect and reconnect for the install.
Old 01-11-16, 11:48 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I asked this question in another thread but it may be better suited here .

To anyone who has installed the Apex controller, can you tell us if it helps to eliminate the hesitation issue some people have experienced?
Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...#ixzz3wxzVTSsg

I know the primary function of the Apex to give better throttle response from a stand still, but I was just wondering if it also helped with the hesitation issue.

Thanks
Old 01-11-16, 08:10 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Originally Posted by JT4
I asked this question in another thread but it may be better suited here .

To anyone who has installed the Apex controller, can you tell us if it helps to eliminate the hesitation issue some people have experienced?
Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...#ixzz3wxzVTSsg

I know the primary function of the Apex to give better throttle response from a stand still, but I was just wondering if it also helped with the hesitation issue.

Thanks
It does depending on the mode that you select.. I like purple on the highway.
Old 01-12-16, 04:47 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
It does depending on the mode that you select.. I like purple on the highway.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 01-16-16, 04:49 AM
LexusRCF15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone hooked up the reverse wire and if so where did you pick it up from?

Many said that they've just left it off, that it wasn't necessary.
Old 01-16-16, 06:00 PM
FLexusFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusRCF15
Has anyone hooked up the reverse wire and if so where did you pick it up from?

Many said that they've just left it off, that it wasn't necessary.
I would suggest leaving it off. I can't think of many situations where accelerating fast in reverse has a positive outcome. I can however, think of many where accelerating in reverse has a negative outcome
Old 01-16-16, 06:41 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I just whiplashed myself on the side streets while on Yellow Mode + Normal Mode. It was full stop then, lights turned green, dropped my phone, pushed the pedal then, *whiplash*... Lol!

Pic of my rocker switch. Same as someone's switch.

Last edited by ba2sy; 01-16-16 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Pic of rocker switch
Old 01-17-16, 06:10 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The OEMs best will be run with Sport+, automatic, expert setting, TVD track. You'll run a 4.3 and do a little better under perfect launch conditions. This does not take into consideration the use of brake torquing.
Old 01-17-16, 04:07 PM
LexusRCF15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just finished with the install and I was quite surprised by the significant improvement in throttle response in all modes, but I was particularly surprised by the change in normal mode. Was well worth the money.

The biggest pain in the butt was getting the connector off. I would suggest removing the pedal assembly rather than struggling. It's two bolts at the bottom of the pedal and two nuts holding the mechanism to the firewall (10mm).

I ended up putting a small hole in one of the blanking plates where the switches are to feed the wire from the Apexi switch thru before mounting it with double sided tape (I would've rather that it mounted flush inside the pocket though).

The controller itself I haven't quite figured out how to mount best, but all in all I was very pleased.

Now if only Lexus would reprogram the transmission so the car isn't searching for a gear between 30-40mph when you put it to the floor. I've been driving in Sport S+ so it only stays in gears 1-6 to avoid the problem. The accel controller makes it a less likely occurance in Normal mode, but that 1-2 sec delay is still there if you look for it.

Quick Reply: APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)