RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model
View Poll Results: Should I get a used 2015 RC F or a new 2016?
Bite the price bullet, "safer" to get a new '16
44.00%
Take the "risk" on a '15 and save the $10K
56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Should I get a used 2015 RC F or a new 2016? Any and all feedback welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 05:01 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Question Should I get a used 2015 RC F or a new 2016? Any and all feedback welcome!

I'm considering a used/CPO '15 RC F, one in particular has 6k km (4k miles) loaded with the Carbon Fiber Package, TVD, ML, etc that is fully to my liking, which I can get it for about 15k less than when it was new.

I'm also considering a new '16 but it will only save me about 4K at most off MSRP.

Saving 10K with the '15 is very appealing for a lightly used RC F. However, the fuel pump issue on the 15's bothers me somewhat since it appears some of you have not had the root cause addressed and in extreme cases, you've lost power while driving. The stuck wing however, does not bother me. Easy TSB for the ECU fix...

1. How do you feel about the fuel pump issue. How should I check this out? Is this addressed on '16s?

2. Any other issues, i.e. brakes, noises, etc? How can I check for these?

3. Your recommendation? Bite the bullet on a '16 or take the "risk" on a '15 and save the $14K?

Thanks for your feedback!

EDIT, after doing more detailed number crunching with taxes and all-out price differences, the savings on the '15 are actually close to $14K compared to a new '16. Unfortunately, I can't change the poll value from 10K.
-----------------------------------

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-09-16 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-09-16, 05:22 AM
BAlbright
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only used car I ever bought was my first car...out of necessity. I am pretty **** on how I care for my car and I am always skeptical about how others care for their cars...especially a car like an RCF. I dare say that the majority of these cars get hammered whether it's track days or just doing burnouts just because they can. I say go for the new and have the piece of mind. I might add that I spent 21 years in car sales and would like to comment that just because it's a certified used car, it doesn't mean that the car doesn't have issues...I know how the business works
Old 01-09-16, 05:56 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm considering a used/CPO '15 RC F, one in particular has 6k km (4k miles) loaded with the Carbon Fiber Package, TVD, ML, etc that is fully to my liking, which I can get it for about 15k less than when it was new.

I'm also considering a new '16 but it will only save me about 4K at most off MSRP.

Saving 10K with the '15 is very appealing for a lightly used RC F. However, the fuel pump issue on the 15's bothers me somewhat since it appears some of you have not had the root cause addressed and in extreme cases, you've lost power while driving. The stuck wing however, does not bother me. Easy TSB for the ECU fix...

1. How do you feel about the fuel pump issue. How should I check this out? Is this addressed on '16s?

2. Any other issues, i.e. brakes, noises, etc? How can I check for these?

3. Your recommendation? Bite the bullet on a '16 or take the "risk" on a '15 and save the $10K?

Thanks for your feedback!
-----------------------------------
If you can afford it, I would say go new. You also have the option to lease it first and buyout at the end if you are trying to get to a lower monthly payment.

Originally Posted by BAlbright
The only used car I ever bought was my first car...out of necessity. I am pretty **** on how I care for my car and I am always skeptical about how others care for their cars...especially a car like an RCF. I dare say that the majority of these cars get hammered whether it's track days or just doing burnouts just because they can. I say go for the new and have the piece of mind. I might add that I spent 21 years in car sales and would like to comment that just because it's a certified used car, it doesn't mean that the car doesn't have issues...I know how the business works
Exactly, who knows why that car was turned in after only 4k miles. The car could still be in perfect condition, or not, who knows? If that $10k difference is the deciding factor then go for the used one, if not, go for new!
Old 01-09-16, 06:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks for the responses so far. Keep em coming especially on the first two questions I asked.

EDIT: after doing more detailed number crunching with taxes and all-out price differences, the savings on the '15 are actually close to $14K compared to a new '16 if this changes anyone's opinions...

Unfortunately, I can't change the poll value from 10K.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-09-16 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-09-16, 07:22 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Another option is a new 2015, I paid $1000 more for a new 2015 vs. a pre owned RC -F I was looking at. Would have cost me more than that to put new tires on the pre owned...which it needed. I myself wish there was some kind of answer or resolution to the fuel pump issue some people have mentioned.

Last edited by Frog98; 01-09-16 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-09-16, 09:28 AM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are keeping it for a long time then I suggest picking a virgin over possibly banged up ride
Old 01-09-16, 09:33 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you wait around for more discount on the 16? Are there any other option for the new 15 still left? We have a lot new 15 still in US. I like the exhaust of the 15 though . I think the issues on the Lexus are not big deal.
Old 01-09-16, 10:10 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2015's are selling for WAYYYYY under invoice new, go buy one of those and bask in the glory of knowing you got a wayyyyyy better deal then we did.
Old 01-09-16, 10:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned all '15 RC F's were sold out some time last December so that's not an option. Some dealers in Canada were taking 10K off MSRP and I definitely missed that opportunity.
Old 01-09-16, 08:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Are you not allowed to buy a U.S. spec 2015 RC F - new with deeper savings ??

Joe Z
Old 01-09-16, 09:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,480 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned all '15 RC F's were sold out some time last December so that's not an option. Some dealers in Canada were taking 10K off MSRP and I definitely missed that opportunity.
I would say go for CPO. You can get great deals on those. Alberta got quite a lot of RCFs so there are a few CPO RCFs for sale here in Alberta and it is so enticing since they are offering great deals on CPO'ed RCFs. You can negotiate well on them. I have to hold off a bit longer for a few personal reasons and then I will pull the trigger on a CPO RCF as well. This is the only car on my radar now.

Here is a good example (in Ontario):

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/RC+...PO&orup=1_15_3

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-09-16 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-09-16, 10:05 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I would say go for CPO. You can get great deals on those. Alberta got quite a lot of RCFs so there are a few CPO RCFs for sale here in Alberta and it is so enticing since they are offering great deals on CPO'ed RCFs. You can negotiate well on them. I have to hold off a bit longer for a few personal reasons and then I will pull the trigger on a CPO RCF as well. This is the only car on my radar now.

Here is a good example (in Ontario):

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/RC+...PO&orup=1_15_3
The one in the link is not fully loaded. I don't think it has the performance package because no CF roof/wing unless my eyes are just blurred...
Old 01-10-16, 12:00 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba2sy
The one in the link is not fully loaded. I don't think it has the performance package because no CF roof/wing unless my eyes are just blurred...
Yeah, they offer only two trim levels up here. One is a "base model" fully loaded RCF with the 20 spoke polished wheels and the other is the carbon package with the 10 split spoke wheels. The standard wheels (my favorite design) is not offered here, unfortunately.

The "base model" pretty much comes with all equipment including heated steering, ML sound system etc.
Old 01-10-16, 06:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Are you not allowed to buy a U.S. spec 2015 RC F - new with deeper savings ??

Joe Z
x1.45 Cdn exchange rate, duties, and so on, it will hit well over 100K, more than a new 2016

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I would say go for CPO.
Limited selection but definitely a strong option for me.

There's a Liquid Platinum in your area for 72K, 6k km. I contacted the dealer and they would have shipped it to my local dealer, but I'm not comfortable dishing out that kind of money without even test driving it. Maybe you can ****** this one up if still around.
Old 01-10-16, 09:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

x1.45 Cdn exchange rate, duties, and so on, it will hit well over 100K, more than a new 2016

Limited selection but definitely a strong option for me.

There's a Liquid Platinum in your area for 72K, 6k km. I contacted the dealer and they would have shipped it to my local dealer, but I'm not comfortable dishing out that kind of money without even test driving it. Maybe you can ****** this one up if still around.
Yeah, I have checked out that silver one in person a few times while passing by. Just out of curiosity how much will be the shipping cost? Just wanted to get an idea if I buy one from another province.

There is also a black carbon package for sale at $78K in Calgary. A few available in Edmonton.

I am planning on getting one near the end of 2016 or early 2017.

Quick Reply: Should I get a used 2015 RC F or a new 2016? Any and all feedback welcome!