RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Red Cabernet Leather - Color rubbed off w cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 05:39 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Red Cabernet Leather - Color rubbed off w cleaner

Has anyone cleaned their red leather seats and had some red color transfer to the mf cloth?

I decided to clean my seats with lexol. I sprayed a little onto my mf cloth and rubbed the cleaner on to the seat. Not sure which part of the seat I rubbed but noticed some red on the cloth.

Because it's new that some color comes off?

Happen to anyone?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-16, 05:50 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

your leather is coated. no need for cleaners. just use warm water. if not, dye will come out of it = messed , uncoated seats
Old 01-17-16, 06:19 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
your leather is coated. no need for cleaners. just use warm water. if not, dye will come out of it = messed , uncoated seats
Damn. Appreciate it. Guess damage is done.
Old 01-17-16, 09:30 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

A little coloration the first time you clean them is perfectly normal. In fact, I always condition new seats right away, to leave that on a rag, rather than on your clothes. But I never spray anything on the seats, especially with perforated leather. Spray it on the cloth, then clean them. Also make sure it's an actual leather cleaner, not vinyl. Always try to use conditioner first. If a stain or something doesn't come off (they usually do), then use a leather cleaner. But cleaners dry the leather, so use a conditioner after that. Also remember best time to condition coated leather is in summer, when it's warm; absorbs better.
Old 01-18-16, 02:20 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
A little coloration the first time you clean them is perfectly normal. In fact, I always condition new seats right away, to leave that on a rag, rather than on your clothes. But I never spray anything on the seats, especially with perforated leather. Spray it on the cloth, then clean them. Also make sure it's an actual leather cleaner, not vinyl. Always try to use conditioner first. If a stain or something doesn't come off (they usually do), then use a leather cleaner. But cleaners dry the leather, so use a conditioner after that. Also remember best time to condition coated leather is in summer, when it's warm; absorbs better.
Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-18-16, 04:30 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be residual, but I would be care about the cleaner and conditioners that you use.

Lexol is safe, but try it on an inconspicuous part of the leather first. I have not had any issues with this product.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-lex...FVCQHwodzt8Kgw

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Has anyone cleaned their red leather seats and had some red color transfer to the mf cloth?

I decided to clean my seats with lexol. I sprayed a little onto my mf cloth and rubbed the cleaner on to the seat. Not sure which part of the seat I rubbed but noticed some red on the cloth.

Happen to anyone?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-16, 06:31 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

[QUOTE=ISF001;9327543]It could be residual, but I would be care about the cleaner and conditioners that you use.

Lexol is safe, but try it on an inconspicuous part of the leather first. I have not had any issues with this product.

Thanks for the link.
Old 01-18-16, 07:51 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,577 Likes on 689 Posts

I noticed the same the first I tried to clean/protect mine with some Griots Garage stuff. The yellow microfiber had some red color to it, nothing bad. Then none after that.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 01-18-16 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 08:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO

Happen to anyone?

Thanks.
You may wish to visit the Automotive Care and Detailing forum for more but here is my experience.

I've cleaned a couple vehicles with cab red nuluxe recently and observed no color transfer. I used a diluted detergent (LM) for cleaning. My first concern would be that area showing color transfer may have been slightly damaged and re-dyed to cover up or repair the damage. Like real leather, faux leather is coated and should not show any color transfer. Is this color transfer happening in one area only? What if someone were to sit in the car with white or light colored clothing? Would not be good.

I'd suggest talking to your dealer and show them where the color is coming off. Demonstrate with the manufacturer's suggested detergent solution and a white cotton towel.

I'd also relate the process I use for cleaning. When in doubt follow the manufacturer's recommendation. It is always a good idea to first do a test spot in an inconspicuous area to be sure the products you are using are not going to cause damage.

1. Vacuum to remove all loose dirt/dust.

2. Using a foam applicator, apply some detergent to the foam and squeeze several times to generate a thick foam. Gently agitate the area to loosen dirt and let the foam dwell for a minute or two but not dry. Wipe up with a white cotton towel. Examine the towel for dirt. If soil is visible on the towel, repeat the process.

3. If towel is not showing dirt, wipe down the area with a clean wrung out towel to remove all traces of the detergent then gently buff dry with another cotton towel.

During the cleaning process, take care to not overly wet the material.

I prefer to use 100% cotton toweling for the interior as it is less abrasive than microfiber. When dry, I recommend applying a fluorocarbon protectant (I use LM Protection Cream).

Do visit the Automotive Care and Detailing forum for more.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-18-16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 11:35 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by jfelbab
You may wish to visit the Automotive Care and Detailing forum for more but here is my experience.

I've cleaned a couple vehicles with cab red nuluxe recently and observed no color transfer. I used a diluted detergent (LM) for cleaning. My first concern would be that area showing color transfer may have been slightly damaged and re-dyed to cover up or repair the damage. Like real leather, faux leather is coated and should not show any color transfer. Is this color transfer happening in one area only? What if someone were to sit in the car with white or light colored clothing? Would not be good.

I'd suggest talking to your dealer and show them where the color is coming off. Demonstrate with the manufacturer's suggested detergent solution and a white cotton towel.

I'd also relate the process I use for cleaning. When in doubt follow the manufacturer's recommendation. It is always a good idea to first do a test spot in an inconspicuous area to be sure the products you are using are not going to cause damage.

1. Vacuum to remove all loose dirt/dust.

2. Using a foam applicator, apply some detergent to the foam and squeeze several times to generate a thick foam. Gently agitate the area to loosen dirt and let the foam dwell for a minute or two but not dry. Wipe up with a white cotton towel. Examine the towel for dirt. If soil is visible on the towel, repeat the process.

3. If towel is not showing dirt, wipe down the area with a clean wrung out towel to remove all traces of the detergent then gently buff dry with another cotton towel.

During the cleaning process, take care to not overly wet the material.

I prefer to use 100% cotton toweling for the interior as it is less abrasive than microfiber. When dry, I recommend applying a fluorocarbon protectant (I use LM Protection Cream).

Do visit the Automotive Care and Detailing forum for more.
Yeah. Saw the forum. Thanks. Couldn't find anyone mentioning color transfer.
Old 01-18-16, 11:36 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I noticed the same the first I tried to clean/protect mine with some Griots Garage stuff. The yellow microfiber had some red color to it, nothing bad. Then none after that.
I was hoping that was the case. Thanks.