RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Really wanted an M4..editorial

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 03:37 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
interestingly enough....Porsche doesnt suffer from the poor reliability of its German counterparts.
Wait until all (or most of) its cars are turbo too. But yes, at least in the transmission department, Porsche fares better. My guess is because they're lighter, since both of them (as well as almost all other applications) use the same Getrag DCT transmission. Just different housings, depending on application. Most Porsches are a lot lighter than their BMW counterparts. But it could be the programming too; who knows. I'm on the fence about an M6 or X6M, but new. Both cost around $125K loaded to the gills. Was eyeing the Merc GT-S, but it's $140K+ decently loaded, and only 2 passengers. The upcoming C63S AMG coupe looks awesome, but no DCT tranny. After the RC-F, don't want to make the same mistake. He he. Will keep the RC-F until I have a chance to really research options, and hopefully be able to rent them for a day, to make sure I'll make the right purchase this time. I won't drive the car enough (or hard) for a DCT to be of concern to me. I can tolerate build quality crap, like on my RC-F. But mechanical issues make me completely lose any trust on a vehicle, and get rid of it. The fuel pump is more of a quality issue to me than mechanical, although it can very well leave you stranded, especially with Lexus approach of not changing it until failure. That was retarded, but still don't consider it a major issue. Also had to sell an M3 due to bad engine main bearings on the V8. That sucked.
Old 01-22-16, 04:33 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
like you...i did a lot of research on the M4 as my wife was deadset on having one. i def wanted to make sure that i didnt put her into something that was going to leave her stranded. like you...i read about transmission/engine failures that a couple of members had. i read about the creaks in the interior. the pebbles that get caught in the brake shield and the ungodly noise that they make. i read about the unseemly exhaust note. i read the iffy launch control.

in the end...we decided to get one because, other than the brake shield, there was not one 'problem' that could be termed endemic of the model. of course, the 2nd day we have the car, my father hits the biggest pothole known to man and the car goes into 'limp mode' because the hit was violent enough to dislodge a fuel injector sensor. wanna talk about someone...who is a lifelong lexus fan...having a huge case of buyer's remorse. hahahaha. but we took it to the dealer and it was fixed by that afternoon.

since then, we've had 6 months of drama-free ownership. we dont even have the creaks and rattles in the interior because we opted for the sunroof instead of the carbon fiber roof. is it perfect? hell no!!!! its aggravating to have to push the start/stop button twice to turn the car off. it sucks that you have to pull the door handle twice because the first pull unlocks the door. it sounds terrible at start up. the lack of electric tilt/telescoping steering wheel in a $75K car is mind-boggling. and a few other things.

BUT...its still a great car. its fun, fast, always elicits stares/thumbs up and...most importantly...she's happy with it. now...having said that...its outta here after warranty. without question....

Great story Dr. and she looks great in it! I am very glad she is happy with it. I chuckled when you mentioned it goes after the warranty ends....that seems to be the common denominator. Yes I knew about the oddities of duplicating inputs like twice on the on/off button and the twice pull door handle thing...very...different. ;-)) When I learned about there being NO DIPSTICK on the M4...I was like.."wow....not very DIY friendly ...but enjoy it...it is beautiful!
airlaird
Old 01-22-16, 05:55 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Ya and BMW wanted 7k for the extended warranty, there is a reason When it ran it was fun but if I wanted to own something with problems I would get a boat lol

Yeah. When I looked into the extended warranties I was SHOCKED at how expensive they were. Which was another check in the 'do not buy' column...
Old 03-12-16, 01:56 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Exactly! !! What's the point if the car is "faster", but in the shop a lot going no where fast!!!!????

This is why I decided to go with Lexus. Sure, I can buy whatever German sports coupes I like, but I'm willing to give up that 0.3 seconds for a lifetime of reliability, especially after the warranty runs out as I tend to keep car longer than the warranty.

Originally Posted by p1apasmurf1
having owned an m4 my prior vehicle before my RCF i can tell you the m4 is a hell of a sports car (when its not in the shop) i had mine for 9 months was in the shop probably 4 of those months bmw finally bought it back as a lemon. I work for Toyota and this is my 4th Lexus for the dependability i can give up the .3 sec faster 0-60 and the few extra pounds the RCF weighs. Dependability goes a long way with me
Old 03-12-16, 06:53 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

As an epilogue.....about 3 weeks after I posted this editorial I saw an X5 on the side of the road not far from my home. I pulled over to assist. The woman was frazzled and said "it just slowed down on the highway...I saw cars swerving to avoid hitting me". Well, her "limp mode" came on and she was just waiting on a tow truck. I stand by my original post. This scenario is exactly what my fear is....losing full power on a highway....talk about dangerous...
airlaird