Lexus NOT honoring Warranty on fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 10:21 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
JD/MD here

Don't need an attorney on this yet. This dealership service is known for not good service. Nothing new

I am sure OP will figure it out

If not, I am local and be happy to help him out

In my experience of owning 56 cars so far, they are machines and things go wrong . When dealership doesn't fix, elevating to regional manager and corporate plus involving dealer owner takes care of the problem right away

If not, legal should be the next step in the process
OP, Hope you're Listening! Sounds like Ryan's your Guy & he's not to far from you What Car Forums are All About
Old 02-06-16, 11:48 AM
Gatie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all of the feedback from everyone. Let me give some additional background. In the Summer of 2014, my assistant's Brother said he can get my name onto the pre-order list so I would be able to order what I want and not have to just purchase what would be available at a dealership. And as you know, the price would be about the same anywhere at that time....MSRP. Someone from Lexus HQ contacted me and said I will be contacted by Longo Lexus to take my order. I told them Longo is about 40 miles away from me, can they change it to South Bay Lexus which is only 2 miles away. They said no, it had to be Longo but I can take my car to any Lexus dealership for any service work required.

My plan right now is to wait until I speak with the Case Manager on Monday before I do anything else. Depending on what he has to say....I will respond with an appropriate action. If they refuse to replace the pump I will drive down to South Bay Lexus to give them one last chance. If they do not take care of me, I will drive over to Lexus HQ (only about 5 miles from my house) and give them one last chance.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your comments. It has been helpful and encouraging. It is helping me deal with this crappy situation. It has kept me calmer than I usually am.
Old 02-06-16, 11:51 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Stay calm brother

You are doing all things appropriately

We are here for you

I have lemoned two BMW products before

Trust me Lexus NA wants you to be happy

Bad publicity is not good for business

Keep us posted

Enjoy the warm weather
Old 02-06-16, 12:25 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Stay calm brother

You are doing all things appropriately

We are here for you

I have lemoned two BMW products before

Trust me Lexus NA wants you to be happy

Bad publicity is not good for business

Keep us posted

Enjoy the warm weather
Thanks.

It is about 75 degrees, clear skies and no wind....think I will take out some frustration on some golf ***** and go the range.
Old 02-06-16, 01:12 PM
kdphan
Driver

Lexus should take note of this. I'm not an RCF owner and I'm boiling for the OP. If I was in his shoes I would've involved an attorney to have Lexus buy the car back since they are refusing to fix a broken part under warranty.

Lexus - a few of us have eyes on the LC500, so don't let the fuel pump issue steer us away from the brand.
Old 02-06-16, 05:42 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kdphan
since they are refusing to fix a broken part under warranty.
THAT is the problem right there. Lexus is saying the part is not broken until it fails. They told the other folks with repeat pumps that those noises were 'normal'. WTF? Semantics, I know. But somebody has to prove that it WILL fail indeed, and then the rest of us could use that against Lexus. And don't know if anybody has had one pump failed (not just making noise) at this point yet. It's like taking your car for an 'x' problem; if you cannot duplicate it, they send you on your merry way. Anyway, if I were the OP, and Lexus refuses to replace the pump again, I'd use the crap out of the car, and when it fails, then make an attorney shove the car up Lexus's ****. Until that happens, no sense in wasting one's money in an attorney, IMO. I'm following this thread closely, as it might dictate what I do with my car.

Last edited by JCtx; 02-06-16 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 06:32 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Remind us to never **** you off. You are not messing around. Good luck.
Old 02-07-16, 06:32 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Did not read all of the internal remarks which may state otherwise, but I don't think this is a diagnosis that can be made by sound alone. This is especially true when the attempted diagnosis is made by someone with only lay knowledge based on a description of the sound or a brief sound clip posted on the Internet.

After hearing an early video posted on here back in March or April, I began to believe I heard this sound. That was about 20,000 miles ago. My car runs stronger now than when new and it still sounds the same as when new.

Do you have long cranks when starting? What other symptoms do you have other than a sound? Perhaps you said, but no time to read through everything.

The dealership would replace it in a heart beat if that part was truly defective. That is how the dealership makes money.
Old 02-07-16, 06:38 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Did Lexus ever look at the other part and decide the part had not failed? Was the other part replaced by dealer purely based on concerns about a sound?

You can go straight to the regional warranty auditors or reps to get more info. I have done so on several cars over the years, but in each instance it was red flags by my track use of high end sports cars
And concerns about warranties being voided. Nevertheless, they will speak to you and work with you if you truly have a problem.
Old 02-07-16, 07:00 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately, this issue comes down to the mood or intelligence of the service tech.

I had mine replaced 3 times and then the car bought back. My New RCF made the noise and they are replacing it with a new fuel pump, and yes, the tech is aware that he is putting in the same flawed part.

Go to another dealer.
Also, your lemon law clock starts/stops at first time turned in for service. I wouldn't put miles on it with the hum. Tell them to make the noise go away.

I only had to pay for usage and mileage before the first fuel pump replacement. The mileage deduction halted after this first complaint/service.
Old 02-07-16, 07:31 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

DB, without a doubt you have had a horrible experience. Did you not actually have failures? I still don't think most of us can distinguish a bad fuel pump hum from just garden variety engine noise. I seriously thought I heard the same hum or noise as a video posted when my car was a few weeks old. I also had two long cranks that I can recall. Those were around 12,000 miles. I am at 21,000 miles and everything is cool. I think some are getting a little noided out by noises that may be normal.

Here is my solution. If you hear a hum, throw it into expert mode and drive it like you stole it.
Old 02-07-16, 09:01 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
DB, without a doubt you have had a horrible experience. Did you not actually have failures? I still don't think most of us can distinguish a bad fuel pump hum from just garden variety engine noise. I seriously thought I heard the same hum or noise as a video posted when my car was a few weeks old. I also had two long cranks that I can recall. Those were around 12,000 miles. I am at 21,000 miles and everything is cool. I think some are getting a little noided out by noises that may be normal.

Here is my solution. If you hear a hum, throw it into expert mode and drive it like you stole it.
You will know the noise immediately. It sounds like a hair dryer is on under your driver seat. It's audible from outside the car as well.

Doug- I looked for you at cars and coffee Franklin yesterday.
Old 02-07-16, 09:52 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
You will know the noise immediately. It sounds like a hair dryer is on under your driver seat. It's audible from outside the car as well.

Doug- I looked for you at cars and coffee Franklin yesterday.
Never go, but would try in future if you give me a heads up.
Old 02-07-16, 11:42 AM
Gatie
Rookie

Did not read all of the internal remarks which may state otherwise, but I don't think this is a diagnosis that can be made by sound alone. This is especially true when the attempted diagnosis is made by someone with only lay knowledge based on a description of the sound or a brief sound clip posted on the Internet.

After hearing an early video posted on here back in March or April, I began to believe I heard this sound. That was about 20,000 miles ago. My car runs stronger now than when new and it still sounds the same as when new.

Do you have long cranks when starting? What other symptoms do you have other than a sound? Perhaps you said, but no time to read through everything.

The dealership would replace it in a heart beat if that part was truly defective. That is how the dealership makes money.

I took my car to the dealer in themorning (it was not making the noise while I was there) because my car wasrandomly making that noise. I mentionedI read online about some owners having issues with the fuel pump. Obviously, Lexus service reps do not like itwhen customers suggest what might be wrong. They basically sent me away and said come back if it makes thenoise. Well, I went back that afternoonwith my car making the noise…I left the car running to make sure they will hearit. I did not mention anything except mycar is making a noise that it should not be making.

They wrote up the order as:

“HUMMING NOISE HEARD INSIDE CAR. INTERMITTENT.DUPLICATED IN SERVICE DRIVE”

Besides the annoying noise, the carhas become slower to respond when accelerating.

Old 02-07-16, 11:44 AM
Gatie
Rookie

Did Lexus ever look at the other part and decide the part had not failed? Was the other part replaced by dealer purely based on concerns about a sound?

You can go straight to the regional warranty auditors or reps to get more info. I have done so on several cars over the years, but in each instance it was red flags by my track use of high end sports cars
And concerns about warranties being voided. Nevertheless, they will speak to you and work with you if you truly have a problem.

Remember, when Lexus replaces thepart with Lexus parts, their paperwork states:

“LEXUS warrants that it will eitherprovide a replacement part or repair any LEXUS part or accessory that isdefective in material or workmanship. This warranty applies to new or remanufactured parts which are genuine orauthorized LEXUS parts.”

I am trying to tell them by replacingmy original fuel pump because they said it was making a noise, they haveacknowledged at least 4 things:
  • Something was wrong with my originalfuel pump
  • The fuel pump should not make thatnoise
  • Something else could go wrong with thefuel pump
  • Something else is wrong with the fuelpump
I take the definition of “workmanship”,from the LEXUS paperwork, to mean “quality or mode of execution”. And, there is definitely a problem withquality and mode of execution with the replacement fuel pump installed byLexus.

Quick Reply: Lexus NOT honoring Warranty on fuel pump