RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus NOT honoring Warranty on fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 11:45 AM
Gatie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
You will know the noise immediately. It sounds like a hair dryer is on under your driver seat. It's audible from outside the car as well.

Doug- I looked for you at cars and coffee Franklin yesterday.

That is the best description I haveheard regarding the noise. If you havethe problem with your car, you will know it. It is a very obvious noise. Itgives me an uneasy feeling like the car will stop running at any moment.

Old 02-07-16, 12:58 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatie

Remember, when Lexus replaces thepart with Lexus parts, their paperwork states:

“LEXUS warrants that it will eitherprovide a replacement part or repair any LEXUS part or accessory that isdefective in material or workmanship. This warranty applies to new or remanufactured parts which are genuine orauthorized LEXUS parts.”

I am trying to tell them by replacingmy original fuel pump because they said it was making a noise, they haveacknowledged at least 4 things:
  • Something was wrong with my originalfuel pump
  • The fuel pump should not make thatnoise
  • Something else could go wrong with thefuel pump
  • Something else is wrong with the fuelpump
I take the definition of “workmanship”,from the LEXUS paperwork, to mean “quality or mode of execution”. And, there is definitely a problem withquality and mode of execution with the replacement fuel pump installed byLexus.

So you don't know if the original pump was analyzed and determined to in fact be defective. Might be prudent to contact regional warranty rep as I suggested and determine their knowledge of your situation and position before making public accusations about Lexus not honoring warranty. After all, they apparently replaced one under warranty.

There is also a lot of interesting assumptions and advise on here. Lol, after all it is the Net. Again, a dealership will happily keep replacing fuel pumps if the part is bad. Service and warranty work is the delearship's bread and butter. The service advisor you are apparently arguing with also makes their money off the $$$ spent in service and warranty work.

Your dealership may have gotten burned on prior fuel pump replacement. Perhaps best to investigate further and ask questions before making public assumptions.

I was involved in the BMW litigation. Getting stranded on the highway or in a parking lot away from home is certainly a PIA. So are drunk drivers, texting teenagers and pot holes in a car with no spare, but I don't stress about those on a daily basis.

Sorry you are having issues or stressed out. I have been there with some crazy car issues. Try 3 trannies and an engine on one car in about 2 1/2 years and that car was not even close to being my daily driver.

Any time I have had potential problem arise with warranty work, I always ask the dealer service advisor for the manufacturer rep's number they are dealing with and call them directly. This may eliminate the need for all of these assumptions here and elevate your case or concerns. I have done this with Ferrari, Porsche and Lotus. I cannot imagine Lexus being any different.
Old 02-07-16, 01:50 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
So you don't know if the original pump was analyzed and determined to in fact be defective. Might be prudent to contact regional warranty rep as I suggested and determine their knowledge of your situation and position before making public accusations about Lexus not honoring warranty. After all, they apparently replaced one under warranty.

There is also a lot of interesting assumptions and advise on here. Lol, after all it is the Net. Again, a dealership will happily keep replacing fuel pumps if the part is bad. Service and warranty work is the delearship's bread and butter. The service advisor you are apparently arguing with also makes their money off the $$$ spent in service and warranty work.

Your dealership may have gotten burned on prior fuel pump replacement. Perhaps best to investigate further and ask questions before making public assumptions.

I was involved in the BMW litigation. Getting stranded on the highway or in a parking lot away from home is certainly a PIA. So are drunk drivers, texting teenagers and pot holes in a car with no spare, but I don't stress about those on a daily basis.

Sorry you are having issues or stressed out. I have been there with some crazy car issues. Try 3 trannies and an engine on one car in about 2 1/2 years and that car was not even close to being my daily driver.

Any time I have had potential problem arise with warranty work, I always ask the dealer service advisor for the manufacturer rep's number they are dealing with and call them directly. This may eliminate the need for all of these assumptions here and elevate your case or concerns. I have done this with Ferrari, Porsche and Lotus. I cannot imagine Lexus being any different.
Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate your opinions.

As I previously mentioned, the dealer told me, that the original fuel pump was "bad" and they are replacing it. If their replacement pump is worse, then I believe under their warranty, they should replace that fuel pump.

When I took my car back to have them replace it, I was told there is nothing they can do for me. The Service Rep said they can only replace that fuel pump with another "bad" fuel pump. Not a single Lexus personnel took the time to even listen to the noise my car was currently making.

I contacted Lexus HQ that afternoon. My situation was escalated to a Case Mgr, who was suppose to call me within 2 days. He did...he left me a voice message saying they need 2 more days. He said he spoke with the dealer and is working with his Technical Support Team. So, he was suppose to call me last Friday. No call yet. His message from Wednesday stated I should feel free to contact him with questions. I called twice and was twice told.......the case mgr said he is not available to speak with you. He said he will call you tomorrow.

It appears they are going to make a decision without anyone from Lexus seeing/hearing my car. I am 2 miles from the dealer and 5 miles from Lexus HQ.

The "replacement" pump is worse than the original. Under the warranty, they are obligated to replace that "replacement" pump.....my opinion.
Old 02-07-16, 02:41 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gatie
Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate your opinions.

As I previously mentioned, the dealer told me, that the original fuel pump was "bad" and they are replacing it. If their replacement pump is worse, then I believe under their warranty, they should replace that fuel pump.

When I took my car back to have them replace it, I was told there is nothing they can do for me. The Service Rep said they can only replace that fuel pump with another "bad" fuel pump. Not a single Lexus personnel took the time to even listen to the noise my car was currently making.

I contacted Lexus HQ that afternoon. My situation was escalated to a Case Mgr, who was suppose to call me within 2 days. He did...he left me a voice message saying they need 2 more days. He said he spoke with the dealer and is working with his Technical Support Team. So, he was suppose to call me last Friday. No call yet. His message from Wednesday stated I should feel free to contact him with questions. I called twice and was twice told.......the case mgr said he is not available to speak with you. He said he will call you tomorrow.

It appears they are going to make a decision without anyone from Lexus seeing/hearing my car. I am 2 miles from the dealer and 5 miles from Lexus HQ.

The "replacement" pump is worse than the original. Under the warranty, they are obligated to replace that "replacement" pump.....my opinion.
Lol, it sounds like you have done all you can do, but it sounds as if you jumped the gun abou Lexus not honoring warranty if your case is still under review.

Again, the dealer had to declare your initial fuel pump as "bad" to replace it at no costs to you. Lexus, not the dealer, may have later examined it and found it was not bad. If that is the case and you are complaining about the same symptoms (just sound), they may have serious reservations about replacing it yet again.

So you say they did not even listen to or examine the replacement fuel pump when you took it back for the same or worse noise? Interesting. They are probably tuned in here . . .

Keep us posted.

Last edited by DougHII; 02-07-16 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 02:49 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

^^

There is NO doubt they are tuned into the thread. ESPECIALLY the way the title is worded

Been around here almost 15 years ....
Old 02-07-16, 03:02 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Db:

Why does this sound like a hair dryer beneath the driver's seat? Where is the location of the pump?

Ryan:

Yep. Love to hear both sides of this one. Cannot imagine dealer not even looking at or listening to the second pump or saying they are all bad unless they were just sarcasticly saying nothing was wrong with either the original or replacement pump and a third would be the same.
Old 02-07-16, 03:09 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Doug

Can't wait to follow this thing through to the end
Old 02-07-16, 07:38 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like the few cars that had this issue that no matter how many replacement pumps they throw at it the issue comes back. The car they did the buyback on did they ever find the root issue of it? I will be honest when it's only a few cars it's easier to just replace / buy back the car then it is to take it and ship it back to Japan and let engineering take a look at it.
Old 02-07-16, 08:17 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Db:

Why does this sound like a hair dryer beneath the driver's seat? Where is the location of the pump?

Ryan:

Yep. Love to hear both sides of this one. Cannot imagine dealer not even looking at or listening to the second pump or saying they are all bad unless they were just sarcasticly saying nothing was wrong with either the original or replacement pump and a third would be the same.
Doug-
It's a pump in the gas tank. They have to remove the back seat to get to it.
Old 02-07-16, 09:36 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
Doug-
It's a pump in the gas tank. They have to remove the back seat to get to it.
That is what I thought. Noise coming from under the driver seat threw me off.

Ryan:

Yep. My uninformed lay speculation leads me to believe it is something other than the fuel pump causing the fuel pump to fail since it seems to reoccur in the impacted cars.
Old 02-08-16, 10:32 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll ask the question I haven't seen yet....

If you know the pump is junk, and Toyota is in no rush to get a replacement, why not go aftermarket? Something like this: http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...p-offset-inlet

Go to a shop, have them drop the tank, and put a new pump in.

While it won't be warrantied, it sounds a lot less painful than dealing with this crap.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-08-16 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 10:35 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

The consensus I have seen so far, or at least I believe I have seen, is the issue is most likely not the pump itself but some other wiring/component/issue that causes the pumps to fail in some cars. Changing the pump itself in these problematic cars seems to only work for a very short period of time which points to a different issue causing pump failure. If this is the case then an aftermarket pump would do nothing but allow the company to wash their hands of the issue with that car and point fingers towards the owner or shop that did the replacement
Originally Posted by Swacer
I'll ask the question I haven't seen yet....

If you know the pump is junk, and Toyota is in no rush to get a replacement, why not go aftermarket?

Go to a shop, have them drop the tank, and put a new pump in.

While it won't be warrantied, it sounds a lot less painful than dealing with this crap.
Old 02-08-16, 10:41 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I would agree that it has something to do with a component outside of the pump since the number of pump failures is well outside of the a typical tolerance for component failure.

I'm just offering an option. If someone is able to go to a high pressure pump and it also fails, then it would mean there is an issue electrically in the car.
Old 02-08-16, 10:43 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

I understand and would agree that barring other options it would be the one best explored but while dealing with a somewhat pricy car that is under warranty it is best not to tamper with it in a manner that would allow the manufacturer plausible deniability for future issues.
Originally Posted by Swacer
I would agree that it has something to do with a component outside of the pump since the number of pump failures is well outside of the a typical tolerance for component failure.

I'm just offering an option. If someone is able to go to a high pressure pump and it also fails, then it would mean there is an issue electrically in the car.
Old 02-08-16, 10:59 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chaosrob
I understand and would agree that barring other options it would be the one best explored but while dealing with a somewhat pricy car that is under warranty it is best not to tamper with it in a manner that would allow the manufacturer plausible deniability for future issues.
Pricey sure, but useless if the fuel pump leaves you stranded.

Quick Reply: Lexus NOT honoring Warranty on fuel pump