RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus NOT honoring Warranty on fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 05:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure I agree with the threatening lemon law options.... there are actually 3 things that could happen...

1. They just fix it to make you happy
2. They buy back the car, no further questions asked
3. They tell you they can not touch the car any longer until a buy back suit requires them to.

You gotta pick your words wisely when threatening.
Old 02-16-16, 11:09 AM
Gatie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Not sure I agree with the threatening lemon law options.... there are actually 3 things that could happen...

3. They tell you they can not touch the car any longer until a buy back suit requires them to.

Thank you for the information. I dropped the car off at the dealership this morning (Tuesday) after meeting with the Service Manager. We will see what they say....I hope later today.
Old 02-16-16, 12:08 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatie
Thank you for the information. I dropped the car off at the dealership this morning (Tuesday) after meeting with the Service Manager. We will see what they say....I hope later today.
Just be cool about it, if your going to get a lawyer don't threaten them because 99% of the time the person your *****ing at can't do anything anyway.

Also keep all your paperwork and the dates / time and how long things take and who you talked with.
Old 02-16-16, 01:06 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Just be cool about it, if your going to get a lawyer don't threaten them because 99% of the time the person your *****ing at can't do anything anyway.

Also keep all your paperwork and the dates / time and how long things take and who you talked with.
Thank you. I have notes from the beginning of this situation. They include the dates, time of day, names of the people I spoke with, notes about the conversations, etc.
Old 02-16-16, 02:25 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

Doesn't work like that in CA.

Once you initiate a buy back case with a State arbitrator, they have 14 days to either go to arbitration or buy back the car.

The only reason they would choose arbitration is if they believe they (Lexus) would win. The fact that they have openly refused to repair a known and documented issue means they will simply buy back the car, it is not cost effective for them to take it further because in CA they are liable for ALL the consumers legal expenses if they lose.

so even if they say they won't touch the car it will at most be 2 weeks while the arbitration hearing is scheduled.

CA Lemon Law does not favor the manufacturer, nor does it make it easy for them to ignore the consumer and sweep it under the rug.

I agree picking your words wisely, but they can't "stop" repairing the vehicle as a result of your request for buy back, as a matter of course, doing so will get the consumer more ammunition with the arbitrator.

--
Old 02-16-16, 02:41 PM
Gatie
Rookie

The Service Manager called me at 2:20 PM and said it is a defective fuel pump. He is currently trying to contact, what he called, the "factory", to request another fuel pump. The Service Manager is suppose to contact me later today, or, tomorrow.
Old 02-16-16, 02:49 PM
kdphan
Driver

The Service Manager called me at 2:20 PM and said it is a defective fuel pump. He is currently trying to contact, what he called, the "factory", to request another fuel pump. The Service Manager is suppose to contact me later today, or, tomorrow.
It should've been done in the first place to save all the time and agony.
Old 02-16-16, 02:50 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

good news.

fingers crossed they make you whole again.
Old 02-16-16, 03:26 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by mjeds
good news.

fingers crossed they make you whole again.
Thanks. Trying to stay "positive". The Service Manager appears to understand my concerns and seems to be "trying" to do something.
Old 02-16-16, 06:02 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like progress.
Old 02-16-16, 10:16 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The Service Manager appears to understand my concerns and seems to be "trying" to do something.
It really sounds like your car has the same wire harness/connector issue as the others that kept eating fuel pumps at the same rate (every 5K miles max). Hope I'm wrong, but if it happens again, then you'd know. And I'd initiate a buy back at that point, since it'd be the third. The chances of having 2 consecutive bad fuel pumps are almost lottery like. Three? No way. They're failing, yes. But due to faulty wire harnesses, apparently with ultra high resistance that eventually ruin the fuel pumps. I'd love to hear more details on that, but manufacturers prohibit talking about it, so you might be quieted as well. Please keep us posted while you can.
Old 02-17-16, 07:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

This pump problem sounds like some quality parts built someplace for cheap. I guess car makers are finding out in the long run it aint cheap. I liked the part when they(dealer) said they knew another pump would also make noise. So they know all them are junk.
Old 02-17-16, 08:53 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
This pump problem sounds like some quality parts built someplace for cheap.
Old 02-18-16, 12:55 PM
Gatie
Rookie

After having my car inspected yesterday, the Service Manager and I had a discussion. They did determine the "new" noise in my car is another defective fuel pump. The bottom-line is, he was told that Lexus will not issue another fuel pump to install into my car because they said they are aware of the problem with the existing RC-F fuel pumps. They also told him they are working at developing a "new" fuel pump. At this time, they are not able to provide a timeframe as to when it will be available. The Service Manager will be updating me on a monthly basis.

Also, yesterday, I mailed my letters (including all my notes), that I previously mentioned, to certain individuals at Toyota Motor Corp (Japan), Toyota Motor North America, Toyota Technical Center (USA), Toyota Engineering and Manufacturing North America, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A, Toyota Motor Sales - Lexus Division and to South Bay Lexus.

My letters included statements regarding the poor customer service I received at South Bay Lexus, the inadequate research performed by the Lexus Corporate Office Customer Service Case Manager, and the disappointment in Lexus for not addressing the RC-F fuel pump deficiencies in a timely manner.

I requested responses to all of the above. In regards to the development of the "new" fuel pump, I said I expect to see this "new" fuel pump within a "reasonable" timeframe. I explained"reasonable" to me is 3 months, since they have known of this problem since early 2015. That they cannot make RC-F owners wait indefinitely.

I will let everyone know what happens...when things happen. Again, I want to thank all of you for your previous comments, thoughts and advice. I will continue to pursue this situation.
Old 02-18-16, 01:44 PM
keithS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what I'm not getting from all these comments about the pump: Is it just that the pump is noisy, so get used to it, or is the pump so defective that the car could stall or stop at any time? From the last update, it sounds like Lexus feels it's just an inconvenience and not a safety issue worthy of immediate action, or even absurdly slow to non-existent action. It just seems odd that there would be so many defective replacement pumps. In my mind, it would just seem to point to a different issue with the car that is causing the pumps to do what they are doing. Or as someone else suggested, maybe the dealership/service doesn't know what they are doing.

Quick Reply: Lexus NOT honoring Warranty on fuel pump