RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Disappointed with Lexus reliability on the RCF

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 04:08 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Several years ago I had a check engine light on on my MB SLK55AMG. Since I was in the middle of nowhere hours away from the nearest MB dealer I pulled up to an AutoZone. As luck would have it after I restarted the engine, the check engine light went away spontaneous. AutoZone still plugged in the OBD reader, but according to the guy it showed nothing!!! I was right beside him and it showed no errors! ! IDK what happened, but a week later after a car wash the check engine light came on again. So I figured this might be what happened the first time. I drove it around for a couple of days and the check engine light went away. On my flight out which was by an MB dealer, I dropped it off to have it checked out since it was still under factory MB warranty. The MB dealer told me later on pick up, there was no active error codes, whatever active means. Needless to say, I stopped going to that same car wash as I think somehow water was sprayed into the intake? IDK???

I guess in order for the computer to read the error codes it must be active and displayed on the dash?

Originally Posted by DougHII
The car should be under warranty so not much issue about anyone pulling a fast one on him and probably should not be trying to fix anything or erasing any codes or turning off lights on a car covered by warranty . . . just in case. This could cause issues.

Autozone will run a free OBD code check, but its just a check engine light and under warranty. Check engine lights are typically not a huge deal. Just drop it by Lexus and call them in advance to let them know the light is on just to get their endorsement on the record that it is safety drive and does not need to go in ASAP.
Old 09-26-16, 06:34 PM
malecrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the gas cap last night and it was snug tight. Interestingly l drove the car to work today (about 32miles) and the check engine light stayed on the entire time. I did not noticed or detect anything abnormal. After work, l turned the car on and the light just went off. Now l'm hoping the code got stored so the dealer can retrieve it. I would hate to drive over 4hours to the dealer only to be told there was no codes stored.
Old 09-26-16, 08:37 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by malecrod
I checked the gas cap last night and it was snug tight. Interestingly l drove the car to work today (about 32miles) and the check engine light stayed on the entire time. I did not noticed or detect anything abnormal. After work, l turned the car on and the light just went off. Now l'm hoping the code got stored so the dealer can retrieve it. I would hate to drive over 4hours to the dealer only to be told there was no codes stored.
4 hours? Where in MN are you located?
Old 09-27-16, 04:46 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought codes were stored on newer more sophisticated cars. Why not just call Lexus and see what they say. They may tell you to just wait until service or they may say come on in.
Old 09-27-16, 04:54 AM
malecrod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
4 hours? Where in MN are you located?
Bemidji,MN.
Old 09-27-16, 08:51 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Bemidji,MN.
Ok, I am in the cities. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Did you buy your car brand new? If bought used, I know that some cars on this forum are having CEL issues with headers and yours might be modded before?
Old 09-27-16, 02:08 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Time to invest in an OBD II scanner. It was a must for after market FI.
Old 09-27-16, 06:48 PM
malecrod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Ok, I am in the cities. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Did you buy your car brand new? If bought used, I know that some cars on this forum are having CEL issues with headers and yours might be modded before?
Yeah, l bought it new with 103miles on it in June in Florida while there on a conference and drove about 2000miles back home. The car has 4292 total miles as of today. Not driving it much 'cause have 2 other cars including 3sgte engine swapped 1995 celica GT(361whp tuned on E85) that l drive during the summer. The RCF is my first Lexus and first new car. It was the RCF vs the M4 and l picked the RCF after months of reading reviews. Ultimately it was the 3 Rs of Lexus(Reliability, Reputation and Resale) that won me over.
Old 09-30-16, 06:03 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nada...nothing...8,500 miles.

And, it is NOT the same engine from the ISF.

Read the release: http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...oduct+news.htm

You may indeed have issues with your car, but it is a rare case.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-30-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 09:34 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

10,000 miles on mine. No issues, except brake dust. This is my daily driver. Not a garage queen.
Old 10-01-16, 05:34 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLHeel350
10,000 miles on mine. No issues, except brake dust. This is my daily driver. Not a garage queen.
Same mileage here. The only thing I've experienced is the fuel pump issue (resolved) and a small intermittent rattle in the console that appears dependant on outside temperature.

On the flip side, my SO has a 2014 Rav4 with 20k and never a single issue. I've owned my share of American and German cars and you just cannot beat Japanese reliability.
Old 10-01-16, 08:36 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

8k DD drive like I stole it. Only complaints are sluggish during initial acceleration in normal mode (fixed by installing borla catback) and small gas tank
Old 10-01-16, 04:30 PM
malecrod
Driver School Candidate

New to site. I have the 2015 RCF and my check engine light also just came on at just 4160miles. Going to the dealers on October 8th to see what the problem is. I have also had the radio and navigation just stop responding to inputs soon after I bought the car and driving on the highway. It was hot summer day, so don't know if this has something to do with it. It has not happened since though.
So l got a call from the dealer 2 days ago asking me to bring the car in this Saturday (today) instead of next Saturday. After they checked the car and did diagnostics, they said they couldn't find any stored codes and everything checked out fine. They did give me an oil change at 4642miles so it didn't feel like such a waste of time. I'm surprised that no code was stored.
Old 10-01-16, 09:05 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Same experience I had some years ago with both of my MB SLK55AMG and MB SLK280. The error codes spontaneous went away and after I got to the MB dealer, they said nothing they can pull up.

So l got a call from the dealer 2 days ago asking me to bring the car in this Saturday (today) instead of next Saturday. After they checked the car and did diagnostics, they said they couldn't find any stored codes and everything checked out fine. They did give me an oil change at 4642miles so it didn't feel like such a waste of time. I'm surprised that no code was stored.
Old 10-01-16, 10:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Same experience I had some years ago with both of my MB SLK55AMG and MB SLK280. The error codes spontaneous went away and after I got to the MB dealer, they said nothing they can pull up.
Originally Posted by flowrider
Could be the cap, but you're just guessing. Buy an OBD code reader, and read the code. You don't need an expensive one, and it could be something you can fix. I any case, when taking your F to the dealer, knowing the problem in advance will help you and not allow the dealer to put anything over on you. If you don't want to buy your own code reader, take it to an AutoZone, they will read the code for free.
Originally Posted by Deanrcf
Time to invest in an OBD II scanner. It was a must for after market FI.
This is my last post in this thread. You guys are really frustrating GET AN OBD CODE READER FOR GOSH SAKE

Lou

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus reliability on the RCF