RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Road hazard protection worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 01:17 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Road hazard protection worth it?

Discount tire is willing to sell me road hazard protection for all 4 tires for 238.98, that includes flat fix, sidewall puncture replacement and lifetime balancing. All 4 tires new with balancing cost around $1,250. Is it worth it? Did anyone purchase the plan after buying?

Last edited by ssmoked; 02-15-16 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 01:26 PM
stoomac
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always purchased the plan - I've bought four complete sets from Discount Tire and had to use the road hazard protection twice - I'm basically break even at this point - one more tire issue and I'll be on the winning side. My experience with the service side is great - no questions asked no hassle, my local DT goes out of their way to take care of the issue. It happens to have always happened to my wife and they don't give her any BS which unfortunately is not always the case when females have automotive work done, so I appreciate that as well.
Old 02-15-16, 01:42 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

I've bought lots of tires from Discount Tire over the years, and I've sent lot's of folks there. I've developed relationships with management. I NEVER buy the coverage. They repair flats for free anyway and do a dismount and rebalance and remount.

Road hazard coverage, I have AAA for that. Over the years I could have only used it one time for a blow out that destroyed the tire. Even then it really would have only paid for half because I always tires in sets of 2.

So, my recommendation is NO!

Lou
Old 02-15-16, 03:52 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

depends on your history really.

for me I have had 1 nail in tire on my past 5 vehicles over the past 16 years, so not really worth it.

with summer/sport tires they don't tend to last more than 12-18 months so again, not really worth it to me as the road hazard isn't transferable to new tires. And I won't plug or patch a high speed sport tire, if I get a puncture the tire gets replaced.

now if you went with all seasons that have a 50K warranty and would last 3-4 years it might be worth it. Harder rubber, easier to patch and not really a safety concern.

My attitude about tires and brakes is that they the final contact with the road, bad brakes or bad tires account for a large percentage of accidents, so these are two things I don't cheap out on and rigorously maintain on a car.

Last edited by mjeds; 02-16-16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 06:31 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I second this post. No to Hazzard warranty.

If you want to buy, buy from a Lexus dealer for the wheel and tire protection. Any Lexus dealer will replace the tire and/or rim if damaged. But must still have the minimum legal tread depth left.

I got mine at the time of car purchase.

Negotiate for lower price. Do not take the offering price.

Originally Posted by flowrider
I've bought lots of tires from Discount Tire over the years, and I've sent lot's of folks there. I've developed relationships with management. I NEVER buy the coverage. They repair flats for free anyway and do a dismount and rebalance and remount.

Road hazard coverage, I have AAA for that. Over the years I could have only used it one time for a blow out that destroyed the tire. Even then it really would have only paid for half because I always tires in sets of 2.

So, my recommendation is NO!

Lou
Old 02-16-16, 11:52 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I never buy any of that. And the only 2 flats I've ever had were when pulled over by police. If I ever get pulled over again, I'll never do it on a shoulder again unless on a lonely road where I can stop to a crawl before pulling over. Will signal the officer and wait until an exit, where it's safer for the officer, occupants of my car, car, and tires as well. The reason for very little flats is I never tread over questionable terrain, including non-traveled medians, shoulders, etc. And for punctures, they're fixed for free at Discount Tire, as mentioned above, so no need to pay extra for that.

I've never paid for any extended warranty on anything, so I'm well over that game, even if something bad happens. I'm not a risk taker at all (don't even own any stocks), but that kind of thing is throwing your money away IMO. But to each his own.
Old 02-16-16, 12:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I understand where you are coming from. Each person must make his/her own decision on this issue.

However, I must share one experience a few years ago. I was trying to catch an early morning flight and driving on a very busy interstate where there was some road construction going on. Two lanes each direction and moderate traffic in formation going about 65 mph at around 430 am. I was two exits away from the airport exit and all of the sudden the car in front of me moved to the right but still hit some kind of rebar thing on the road and it scooted to my lane. I tried to move out of the way, but I could not due to traffic. So I clipped it with my driver side rear tire. A very loud explosion subsequently. Since there was really no shoulders due to constructions, I drove on with the flat tire to the next exit. My tire blew and made a big hole on the side of the nice 18 inch MB AMG RIM.

I had the wheel and tire protection and it was taken care of with NO Deductible. But since I had chromed rims which were chromed after market, MB decided $100 and all good.

The rim and tire would have cost me around $2500. Sure, I could go and find some used one. But I got brand new ones. One incident I was already ahead!!!

Would I buy the protection if I was driving around in a Toyota Corolla? No.

So you must decide on your own.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I never buy any of that. And the only 2 flats I've ever had were when pulled over by police. If I ever get pulled over again, I'll never do it on a shoulder again unless on a lonely road where I can stop to a crawl before pulling over. Will signal the officer and wait until an exit, where it's safer for the officer, occupants of my car, car, and tires as well. The reason for very little flats is I never tread over questionable terrain, including non-traveled medians, shoulders, etc. And for punctures, they're fixed for free at Discount Tire, as mentioned above, so no need to pay extra for that.

I've never paid for any extended warranty on anything, so I'm well over that game, even if something bad happens. I'm not a risk taker at all (don't even own any stocks), but that kind of thing is throwing your money away IMO. But to each his own.
Old 02-16-16, 01:09 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid for it from Lexus when I bought the car. Was it worth it? Not to me because the way I drive (like an old lady) will never allow me to destroy a wheel or tire.
Old 02-16-16, 02:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

It's really simple. Insurance company's are in business for one reason - To Make Money. And that they do.

I self insure on things I can easily afford to replace. Tires, Home Appliances, things like that. I buy insurance on my car including liability on my vehicles and my home (Umbrella on both).

I know over the years I've saved a lot of money.

Lou
Old 02-16-16, 03:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I typically do buy road hazard protection when purchasing new tires. It had paid off for me since I drive alot and run over nails once per year.

I guess the main reason why I didnt purchase it with discount tire for my NEW car is the Michelin PSS is on back order. The manager said if its over 1 month wait, they will substitute with comparable tire.
1. There is no spare in the RCF
2. I dont want mismatched tires for a high performance car
Old 02-16-16, 07:16 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get my tires at Costco, it comes free and they have replaced a few tires with new ones not even having to pay anything on the pro-rated.

I don't think anyone has better customer service then Costco to be honest.
Old 02-16-16, 10:16 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't plan on switching the wheels and tires I would just go for it. I envy the road you guys have in Florida