RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Need some input before I purchase. Anyone actually regret buying the RC F?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 08:33 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the discounted price that they are going for....it's almost crazy to pick the M4 over the RC-F. all of the things we argue about are somewhat subjective. but a $10-15K discount doesnt lie. and although i think the reliability problems of the M4 are greatly overstated....almost 5k on ours and only one problem caused by my father in laws error (was fixed by lunch)....the Lexus SHOULD provide a more trouble free experience once the warranty is over. fuel pump issues, notwithstanding....

go get the RC-F, man!!!!
Old 02-16-16, 08:46 AM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
I have had two ISFs and now my RC F. The move to the RC F has been wonderful. This car has everything that I loved about the ISF, but corrected much of the things I disliked. Please read a writeup I did on a 2,200 mile road trip at the end of last summer, lots of good insight into the car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-the-rc-f.html

Yes, it is not the best performance car in it's group. Honestly, if you look at just the numbers though, the difference comes down to seconds or less. Yes I may track my car a few times a year, but I will never notice those small differences. The RC F is everything I want from a daily driver right now, outside of it not being a Porsche..... (that will come later ) I can't recommend the car enough, I am almost at 13,000 miles since last July and I love every moment behind the wheel.

Good luck on your decision, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the car, or to give you some other perspective.
Thanks for the feedback! I notice that you have the Zoe Z exhaust. How do you like it? Does it stay relatively quite and tame just cruising in normal or eco mode? I heard the clips of the car at WOT and it sounds awesome, but also need this to be a dual purpose daily driver so kind of need to have a balance.
Old 02-16-16, 09:22 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
Thanks for the feedback! I notice that you have the Zoe Z exhaust. How do you like it? Does it stay relatively quite and tame just cruising in normal or eco mode? I heard the clips of the car at WOT and it sounds awesome, but also need this to be a dual purpose daily driver so kind of need to have a balance.
Yes, I have the Joe Z on the RC F. In all honesty, I wasn't sure I how it was going to sound to me, as I found the Joe Z exhaust on the ISF to provide a little too much drone/resonance in the cabin. On the RC F though, I think it is perfect. It is virtually non-existent when cruising around at low RPMs. Once you stick your foot to the throttle though, the sound comes through really nicely. I am very happy with it, and I couldn't think of going back to stock sound. I have to drive two kids around from time to time, it's never too loud that we can't talk, and they love it when I accelerate from a dead stop.

I linked a few videos I made of it on my car. As always though, videos never do the real thing justice.

Old 02-16-16, 10:34 AM
7No
Intermediate

I've driven my RCF from CO to IL, from CO to San Diego and from CO to FL. It's a wonderful cruiser. The seat support was great - absolutely no problem with the back.
Old 02-16-16, 10:35 AM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I was in the same boat as you, couldn't really decide and needed some assurance.

Due to the weather, I only have a few hundred miles on her, but absolutely no regrets.

I just love everything about the RC F, and I based my decision on what I wanted, not what the media or bench racers told me to get. As CK21 told me, "pick the car YOU want because YOU want it."

Being in Germany and with "military pricing" I see M3s/M4s everywhere. You can't walk out of the BX parking lot without seeing a handful, so I'm not sure if I've just become "immune" to the "specialness" of the Ms, but they are just blah to me. But when I look at my RC F, I get that "this car is just bad ***" feeling and it's all mine. In fact, I was just waxing it for the first time the other day and I found myself amazed at the subtleness of the styling/curves that I never noticed before.

Here's the link to my "Considering the RC F" thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-the-rc-f.html
Old 02-16-16, 11:03 AM
kdphan
Driver

Originally Posted by DrRick
for the discounted price that they are going for....it's almost crazy to pick the M4 over the RC-F. all of the things we argue about are somewhat subjective. but a $10-15K discount doesnt lie. and although i think the reliability problems of the M4 are greatly overstated....almost 5k on ours and only one problem caused by my father in laws error (was fixed by lunch)....the Lexus SHOULD provide a more trouble free experience once the warranty is over. fuel pump issues, notwithstanding....

go get the RC-F, man!!!!
sub $60k is a hell of a deal on the RCF

I hope deals like this still exist at the end of the year
Old 02-16-16, 04:03 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kdphan
sub $60k is a hell of a deal on the RCF

I hope deals like this still exist at the end of the year
they will adjust 2016 production based on the over-run of 2015. if they are still discounting the 2016s at the end of the year....lexus will have an unmitigated disaster on their hands.

but looking at how many GS-Fs are on the lots....you may just get your wish. and mine, too...

btw....BMW has adjusted to the market. its almost impossible to order an M3. allocations are 2 and 3 months out. wish they'd do that for the M4...
Old 02-16-16, 04:09 PM
kdphan
Driver

Originally Posted by DrRick
they will adjust 2016 production based on the over-run of 2015. if they are still discounting the 2016s at the end of the year....lexus will have an unmitigated disaster on their hands.

but looking at how many GS-Fs are on the lots....you may just get your wish. and mine, too...

btw....BMW has adjusted to the market. its almost impossible to order an M3. allocations are 2 and 3 months out. wish they'd do that for the M4...
we're almost 2 months into 2016 and there are quite a few 2015s left in showrooms/lots.

I find it funny that those dealers with remaining 2015 are still not looking to make a deal on them.

Searching through cargurus I see some RCF that have sat for over 250 days.

I think the GSF will certainly meet the fate of the RCF as far as discounts go. $88k is too much for that car.
Old 02-16-16, 04:46 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Occasionally I feel buyers remorse due to the fact that I could've purchased a GTR for almost the same price. But then remembering the terrible Nissan service departments when I had a 370z made me feel satisfied with my purchase. What kind of crap is not offering a loaners car for a recall job that takes less than 30 minutes but they require the car for half the day. Lexus will give you a loaners car just for coming in for an oil change...

My requirements were: back seats (min four seater), reliability, performance, and good customer service.

I was considering Porsche, but the package I wanted for the 911 was out of my budget. I'll never touch a BMW or MB.

RCF is heavy, but the topend power is there after 4k. Wish the lowend was stronger.
Old 02-16-16, 06:41 PM
kdu
Rookie

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Yes, I have the Joe Z on the RC F. In all honesty, I wasn't sure I how it was going to sound to me, as I found the Joe Z exhaust on the ISF to provide a little too much drone/resonance in the cabin. On the RC F though, I think it is perfect. It is virtually non-existent when cruising around at low RPMs. Once you stick your foot to the throttle though, the sound comes through really nicely. I am very happy with it, and I couldn't think of going back to stock sound. I have to drive two kids around from time to time, it's never too loud that we can't talk, and they love it when I accelerate from a dead stop.

I linked a few videos I made of it on my car. As always though, videos never do the real thing justice.

2015 Lexus RC F w/ Joe Z PTS Exhaust Acceleration and drive - YouTube
2015 Lexus RC F with Joe Z PTS Exhaust. Startup and revs. - YouTube
Exhaust sounds awesome. Same boat as you. Have young kids and this car has to accommodate them from time to time. Additionally this will be my DD, so has to be a balance. Did you notice performance gains from this exhaust? I have seen some pretty high gain numbers thrown around.
Old 02-16-16, 06:48 PM
kdu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phinatic
I was in the same boat as you, couldn't really decide and needed some assurance.

Due to the weather, I only have a few hundred miles on her, but absolutely no regrets.

I just love everything about the RC F, and I based my decision on what I wanted, not what the media or bench racers told me to get. As CK21 told me, "pick the car YOU want because YOU want it."

Being in Germany and with "military pricing" I see M3s/M4s everywhere. You can't walk out of the BX parking lot without seeing a handful, so I'm not sure if I've just become "immune" to the "specialness" of the Ms, but they are just blah to me. But when I look at my RC F, I get that "this car is just bad ***" feeling and it's all mine. In fact, I was just waxing it for the first time the other day and I found myself amazed at the subtleness of the styling/curves that I never noticed before.

Here's the link to my "Considering the RC F" thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-the-rc-f.html
Very helpful thread. Thx
Old 02-16-16, 08:21 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I find it amusing, borderline childish, when people cast aspersion on one thing to justify buying another. You see a lot more of this here than the supremely congested M4 online community. People who own the M4 didn't give a second look to anything else including the RCF. It's still the sales king bar none. Bravo BMW M marketing.

It was between the M4 and RCF for me. If for some reason someone swapped my RCF for an M4 right now in the garage would I regret it? No. If I had an M4 presently and someone did the same, would I feel the same lack of regret? Yes. I just wish we had a more evolved aftermarket than the chintzy 2000s JDM bs on deck. Just take a look at all the exhaust options and their shiny metal. It looks rather tawdry and dated.

So what won me over is the alien looks, fit/finish, reputed Lexus reliability and an NA V8 that's silkier than just about any other engine I've ever owned. Bravo, Toyota, bravo.
Old 02-16-16, 10:20 PM
milk242
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ultimately chose the M3 mostly because I always wanted a turbo charged engine and I like iDrive more than enform. Both cars are thrilling to drive and I will never use 100% of the capabilities of these cars so my decision was mostly based on technology(multimedia software). I did not consider reliability into my deciding factor as all cars have problems, especially in this age of electronic wizardry world of engine management. If you are DDing this car then you need to think about what makes a car enjoyable daily and not just on the track.

Also another deciding factor was after market support.

Last edited by milk242; 02-16-16 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 06:29 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I do. But that doesn't mean it would be the wrong car for YOU. I was looking for a proper GT car after the GTR let me down on that. The RC-F is the same thing: trying too hard to be a sports car when it's not. Too noisy for the crappy roads here in the desert southwest, suspension is very stiff for the performance it has (mostly too hard shocks, so not tuned properly, and it's castrated by a very mild front negative camber that is not adjustable), and it's not adjustable, like on the RC350 F-sport ( go figure). Cabin noise on normal freeways is okay, and I thought it wouldn't be that bad on crappier roads. It is MUCH worse. Suspension is tolerable to me, but not my wife. Even my buddy's McLaren is not as stiff. Nor the GTR, Vette, or any Porsche. And our last complaint is for long trips, the seat cushion is too hard. Took it to Big Bend, and I wouldn't take it any longer than that. My wife was extremely uncomfortable, and had to stop several times for her to walk a little. I decided on the RC-F vs a Cayman GTS because the Cayman was going to be stiff and loud. Should have bought that car instead. And if I decide on a GT car, will go with a more sure bet, like an M6, that I know will be quieter for sure, while it'd also perform better than the RC-F in every respect. Problem is it costs more, but if you want a quieter car in that price range, I'd look at the MB C63S, which also trounces the RC-F in every performance category, and it's quieter as well. If you want a coupe, it's coming this year. Try to drive one extensively to make sure it's the right car for you.

I think most other people will tell you it's the greatest car on earth, so beware of that. Lots of fanboys here, so few will point out the flaws. There're some real issues on some cars as well, which I attritube for being its first year. That was another mistake I made and never will repeat again. My car has a ton of rattles, and many other annoyances due to lack of quality control. If you want to consider it, drive a used one extensively so you don't make an $80K mistake, like I did. The car is great, especially for short trips. But not what I expected. I drove it enough, but not on the right asphalt, or long enough to find out about seat discomfort. Good luck.
Lol, some need counseling instead of another new car and some will either never be happy or just like to feed off the negative energy that incessant complaining generates.

Rattles? Uncomfortable seats? GT? Lack of quality control? Huh????????

OP, I serious question whether this guy has actually ever sat in or driven any other high performance sports cars. the RCF seats are awesome and much more comfy than seats in any of my high end sports cars I have owned and still own throughout the years.

Rattles? Huh??????? I have almost 22,000 miles, use it as my daily driver and never heard a single rattle. Perhaps I am too busy enjoying my drive and life to notice them or perhaps they just ain't there.

OP, this guy consistently demonstrates only Google generated knowledge about car control or high performance track driving. Hilarious throwing out the McClaren!

I have considerable track time in Caymans instructing for Porsche at Barber. Great, well balanced cars, but again . . . 2 seats and there is no way 99.999% percent of the population, including the responder, can drive at or near the limits so any of the performance variances don't actually matter and I sincerely hope he is not driving in such a manner on public streets.

My M3 experience was sufficiently bad that I will not go the BMW route again, at least for a while . . . I do get tempted by the new M6 gran coupe when I see a black one cruising the streets. This is coming from a guy whose first F csr experience included a $17,000 out of pocket service 15 years ago and I still remained brand loyal.

I drive my RCF most days to work as I am hesitant to park my other cars in our public parking garage with super narrow spaces. I use it constantly for business trips and client meetings in that 100 to 150 mile range.

I have owned a lot of high end cars of different brands over the years. Every single day I get into my RCF and I never think, boy I wish I had X or Y. I am completely satisfied with the car. Perhaps a bit of gratitude for some will help their sour attitude. We're all fortunate to have such "problems."
Old 02-17-16, 07:12 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, some need counseling instead of another new car and some will either never be happy or just like to feed off the negative energy that incessant complaining generates.

Rattles? Uncomfortable seats? GT? Lack of quality control? Huh????????

OP, I serious question whether this guy has actually ever sat in or driven any other high performance sports cars. the RCF seats are awesome and much more comfy than seats in any of my high end sports cars I have owned and still own throughout the years.

Rattles? Huh??????? I have almost 22,000 miles, use it as my daily driver and never heard a single rattle. Perhaps I am too busy enjoying my drive and life to notice them or perhaps they just ain't there.

OP, this guy consistently demonstrates only Google generated knowledge about car control or high performance track driving. Hilarious throwing out the McClaren!

I have considerable track time in Caymans instructing for Porsche at Barber. Great, well balanced cars, but again . . . 2 seats and there is no way 99.999% percent of the population, including the responder, can drive at or near the limits so any of the performance variances don't actually matter and I sincerely hope he is not driving in such a manner on public streets.

My M3 experience was sufficiently bad that I will not go the BMW route again, at least for a while . . . I do get tempted by the new M6 gran coupe when I see a black one cruising the streets. This is coming from a guy whose first F csr experience included a $17,000 out of pocket service 15 years ago and I still remained brand loyal.

I drive my RCF most days to work as I am hesitant to park my other cars in our public parking garage with super narrow spaces. I use it constantly for business trips and client meetings in that 100 to 150 mile range.

I have owned a lot of high end cars of different brands over the years. Every single day I get into my RCF and I never think, boy I wish I had X or Y. I am completely satisfied with the car. Perhaps a bit of gratitude for some will help their sour attitude. We're all fortunate to have such "problems."
OP I was waiting for Doughll to respond. I think his opinion is a good assessment since he has higher performance cars to compare the rcf and track knowledge. Obviously he enjoys this car and has mostly good things about his experience in driving the car.

For me, coming from Honda 4 bangers, this car is already too much car for me and the street with it's performance. It's a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: Need some input before I purchase. Anyone actually regret buying the RC F?