RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Need some input before I purchase. Anyone actually regret buying the RC F?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 07:16 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I love mine so much that I'm actually negotiating the purchase of a new one, this time with the carbon package and TVD. No regrets whatsoever.
Old 02-17-16, 07:44 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Update:

Got the wing fixed under warranty. Thanks to this forum I was able to print out the TSB document and gave it to the Lexus dealer. It is a smaller Lexus dealer due to my travels and they don't have any RCF on the lot. I guess they don't sell too many RCF.

After they read through the TSB on the wing, they knew where to go from there.

My RCF is all good now.

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I have never looked back after my RC F purchase.

I bought the RCF to replace my aging 2006 MB SLK55AMG hardtop convertible which is still in excellent condition. But I needed more room during my long drives for business trips.

Love the RCF. I was going to buy it when it first came out November 2014. But no dealers in SoCal was really giving any great deals. So I waited and waited AND WAITED until late October last year a SLIGHTLY USED RCF WITH around 2k miles showed up in prestin condition at a large SoCal Lexus dealer. It was an official Lexus Certified vehicle and a clear title (not a lemon buy back or salvage title ). I wad told and subsequently shown (after I finished the purchase order paperwork ) prior owner's paperwork which an "elderly lady" with a Korean last name bought the new RCF and could not withstand the stiff ride/suspension and two weeks or so later returned back to the same Lexus dealer and traded for another new Lexus 460.

After some back and forth negotiations, we came to 59k plus TTL. It was all options except carbon and TVD. I saved around 15k.

Happy with the RCF.

Only issue was the active wing stuck, getting fixed right now.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-16, 04:53 PM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
OP I was waiting for Doughll to respond. I think his opinion is a good assessment since he has higher performance cars to compare the rcf and track knowledge. Obviously he enjoys this car and has mostly good things about his experience in driving the car.

For me, coming from Honda 4 bangers, this car is already too much car for me and the street with it's performance. It's a blast to drive.
Yep, good to hear this sort of feedback coming from people that have driven more specialized performance cars. I think my wife and I are going to go down to our dealer this weekend and see what kind of deal they want to work out. I think if they make me an offer I can't refuse j might just drive one home. Now I have to decide if I should spring for the TVD and carbon package. They have several 2015s both with and without. Is the extra ~4K worth it?
Old 02-17-16, 04:54 PM
kdu
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, some need counseling instead of another new car and some will either never be happy or just like to feed off the negative energy that incessant complaining generates.

Rattles? Uncomfortable seats? GT? Lack of quality control? Huh????????

OP, I serious question whether this guy has actually ever sat in or driven any other high performance sports cars. the RCF seats are awesome and much more comfy than seats in any of my high end sports cars I have owned and still own throughout the years.

Rattles? Huh??????? I have almost 22,000 miles, use it as my daily driver and never heard a single rattle. Perhaps I am too busy enjoying my drive and life to notice them or perhaps they just ain't there.

OP, this guy consistently demonstrates only Google generated knowledge about car control or high performance track driving. Hilarious throwing out the McClaren!

I have considerable track time in Caymans instructing for Porsche at Barber. Great, well balanced cars, but again . . . 2 seats and there is no way 99.999% percent of the population, including the responder, can drive at or near the limits so any of the performance variances don't actually matter and I sincerely hope he is not driving in such a manner on public streets.

My M3 experience was sufficiently bad that I will not go the BMW route again, at least for a while . . . I do get tempted by the new M6 gran coupe when I see a black one cruising the streets. This is coming from a guy whose first F csr experience included a $17,000 out of pocket service 15 years ago and I still remained brand loyal.

I drive my RCF most days to work as I am hesitant to park my other cars in our public parking garage with super narrow spaces. I use it constantly for business trips and client meetings in that 100 to 150 mile range.

I have owned a lot of high end cars of different brands over the years. Every single day I get into my RCF and I never think, boy I wish I had X or Y. I am completely satisfied with the car. Perhaps a bit of gratitude for some will help their sour attitude. We're all fortunate to have such "problems."
I think you might have just pushed me over the edge.
Old 02-17-16, 05:16 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
Yep, good to hear this sort of feedback coming from people that have driven more specialized performance cars. I think my wife and I are going to go down to our dealer this weekend and see what kind of deal they want to work out. I think if they make me an offer I can't refuse j might just drive one home. Now I have to decide if I should spring for the TVD and carbon package. They have several 2015s both with and without. Is the extra ~4K worth it?
If you're planning to track. TVD is amazing. You won't be using it on the street. Also the CF roof is nice but then you lose sunroof. I would save the money if you are gonna just Street it.
Old 02-17-16, 05:22 PM
stoomac
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
If you're planning to track. TVD is amazing. You won't be using it on the street. Also the CF roof is nice but then you lose sunroof. I would save the money if you are gonna just Street it.
X2 I have the Carbon/TVD but would have preferred a moonroof.
Old 02-17-16, 05:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Go for it especially for such a good deal.

And consider the fact that you will be owning one of possibly the last generation of Japanese V8's to be built in this price range considering the more stringent upcoming global emissions standards. I got mine for that reason and the awesome sound, Lexus reliability, its rarity, muscular styling, and a decent back seat for the occasional family drive, over a Cayman, F-Type, and the German trio.
Old 02-18-16, 07:13 AM
GGawaran
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are tall like me, I am 6'4 I would get the performance package for more headroom. 2, I don't really like sunroofs so the choice was clear for me.
Old 02-18-16, 08:02 AM
keithS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Go for it especially for such a good deal.

And consider the fact that you will be owning one of possibly the last generation of Japanese V8's to be built in this price range considering the more stringent upcoming global emissions standards. I got mine for that reason and the awesome sound, Lexus reliability, its rarity, muscular styling, and a decent back seat for the occasional family drive, over a Cayman, F-Type, and the German trio.
I agree with everything corrado said. I may be old school, but I just love V-8s and I think they are going the way of the dinosaur very quickly. Even Lexus is now introducing more and more turbos but no matter how great, it's just not the same. That's why you see a lot of comments about Porsche going to turbos in their 911s. Styling is so subjective, so you either like it or don't. I prefer to have something that is unique and not seeing my car all over the place. Lexus has been good to me for the last 15 years, so I'm sticking with it until proven differently. Definitely test drive the car and make sure it fits your size, style, needs, wants. And if it takes more than one test drive, do it.
Old 02-18-16, 09:59 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

I don't own an RCF but I have an ISF. No regrets because these cars are so unique that it draws attention in a good way over other cars. These cars are very reliable, "cheap" to maintain, fun, fast, and most importantly very smooth.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-18-16, 12:43 PM
kdu
Rookie

So I actually found a 2015 that has TVD as a standalone option and no sunroof. However it doesn't have the performance package so no carbon fiber parts. I didn't think that packaging existed in the 2015 models. Have you guys ever seen this configuration?

Asked the dealer to email me the spec just to double check. Sticker is right at $74k brand new.
Old 02-18-16, 12:47 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
So I actually found a 2015 that has TVD as a standalone option and no sunroof. However it doesn't have the performance package so no carbon fiber parts. I didn't think that packaging existed in the 2015 models. Have you guys ever seen this configuration?

Asked the dealer to email me the spec just to double check. Sticker is right at $74k brand new.
Yes, carbon package was delayed due to some QA issues with the carbon fiber. Meanwhile, Lexus was offering TVD as a stand alone option for a few months. This must have been through an order placed during that time.
Old 02-18-16, 06:01 PM
kdu
Rookie

So I have a choice between two identically priced cars. One has TVD and no sunroof or ML sound and weighs an extra ~60lbs and one without TVD with a sunroof and ML. I don't care about the sunroof or ML that much is the extra weight worth me getting the TVD?
Old 02-18-16, 06:18 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
So I have a choice between two identically priced cars. One has TVD and no sunroof or ML sound and weighs an extra ~60lbs and one without TVD with a sunroof and ML. I don't care about the sunroof or ML that much is the extra weight worth me getting the TVD?
Hard choice. Up to you. Personally for me. ML sounds amazing. Nice to open the roof on cool summer nights, but I live in the best coast...TVD seems pretty complex but I imagine just one more part to get fd up down the line. Again. Are you gonna track it? If not skip it. Plus that seems it would be a really early build. 2014? Sitting that long on the lot? Chances are the other one is newer. Plus resale if you do plan. People like luxury and sunroofs. My two cents.
Old 02-18-16, 07:54 PM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
No personal experience with the RCF, but this might help you out.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...e-test-feature

Doesn't seem like you'll see a difference unless you're pushing the car hard.

Quick Reply: Need some input before I purchase. Anyone actually regret buying the RC F?