refinishing Apexi Catback titanium tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 08:16 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ModInJapan
Hello!

I saw this posting and spoke to APEXi about it, they've asked me to chime in about it since i've had some experience in the past with Titanium Exhaust Manufacturing.

For anything metal related it is best to avoid any chemicals directly on the metal as it can fade the color, any chemical cleaners or lubricants generally do have mineral oil or some solvent based chemical in it that can affect the color of the metal, just one of those inherent qualities of metal surfaces.

However what is good about this system compared to others is those tips are REAL Titanium from their factory in Fuji Japan. Other cheaper brands often use Stainless Steel with a chemical coating which they apply to stainless steel and burn it. When those cheaper brand "Ti like tip systems" fade there is nothing you can do about it, they go a light color.

SO.... What you can do with this system since it is real Titanium is apply heat to it. If you take a blow torch to it, it will shift color being real Titanium however if you want to maintain the gradient you will have to be careful while doing it so its even, but even if you don't do it even you'll have a deep purple color which looks incredible, i highly suggest also cleaning it thoroughly with alcohol to ensure there are no other chemicals that can affect the color as you apply heat.

I've personally worked on some Porsche 911 Turbos and helped to produce Full Titanium Turbobacks in the past and those pie cut exhausts always shift color after driving it really hard from exhaust fumes being hot and it makes this really great bluish purple.

This isn't an exhaust and it is just spoons, but this random link I found quickily on youtube might shed some light on how to do it.

Ti Spoons (No idea why he has Ti Spoons/Sporks)
How to anodize titanium with a torch - YouTube

I hope this helps shed some light on your situation, and maybe a fun solution for you to try out! If you have any additional questions or need some more advice feel free to email me at Steven@modinjapan.com or pm us here!

Regards,

Steven @ Mod in Japan
I appreciate the insight, however I already understand the inherent characteristics of pure metals and alloys. This discolouration was done by driving in a Canadian winter, not by a chemical or stripping reaction from
products applied.

I didn't realize I needed to take a torch to my exhaust every season. Now I know.

Doesn't change the fact that nothing is being done about the situation. But now everyone on this forum understands that the titanium tips need to be cleaned by rubbing alchohol
Old 03-02-16, 07:08 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Good info to know before I get my full Titan cat-back exhaust

If you end up heating your tips to return the color, please take pics of the process to share. Thanks!
Old 03-02-16, 07:12 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
I appreciate the insight, however I already understand the inherent characteristics of pure metals and alloys. This discolouration was done by driving in a Canadian winter, not by a chemical or stripping reaction from
products applied.

I didn't realize I needed to take a torch to my exhaust every season. Now I know.

Doesn't change the fact that nothing is being done about the situation. But now everyone on this forum understands that the titanium tips need to be cleaned by rubbing alchohol
Weather can have a pretty detrimental effect on metal, but I just wanted to give some input on my experiences and hopefully it helps you out! I live in Southern California so our winters are pretty much nothing at all, but from what I've seen in the past I think if you end up heating up your tips, I think you might be surprised how resilient the color change will be.

In my personal opinion, you may not need to heat up your tips every winter after you refinish it I think if you went with a pretty deep tone during the heating it can last for quite a long time.

If you do decide to try to torch the tips again, definitely take some photos I would love to see how it turns out, that bluish purple can look absolutely amazing! By the way, which dealer did you purchase the exhaust from? Have you reached out to them at all?

Regards,

Steven @ Mod in Japan
Old 03-02-16, 08:13 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am surprised they weren't more straight forward with you during your original purchase. When I spoke to the Apexi guys over the phone (as I was interested in the exhaust for the NX), I inquired if there would be any issues with the colored tips and driving through the winter, and the response I got was "Oh yeah, if you're going to be driving it in the winter with salt, I'd recommend AGAINST getting the colored tips as it will fade and get discolored due to the chemical reaction with the salt and chemicals". ARK told me the same thing when I inquired about theirs for my wife's IS (ended up getting stainless tips instead)