RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 05:36 AM
Db750
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by equalme
I was deciding on a butterfly valve like that, but in the end I wanted larger tips and to get rid of the muffler weight. The RCF is my pleasure car so no real restrictions per se.
I should have mentioned in my post that my "potential RCF purchase" would be for my wife as a replacement for her M3 DD. I have a 911 as my pleasure car and enjoy a no restrictions ownership of that car, but for my wife's car I have to get something that she can be comfortable in during the week that is also fun for me on the weekend and looks nice sitting in the garage next to my 911. There is a muffler delete on the M3 as we speak that is getting removed on Monday. Wife can't handle the "noise maker", so daddy gotta make a compromise.

Originally Posted by chaosrob
valves are great until they get full of soot and wont close all the way and rattle your teeth.

I was going to do the muffler delete and just decided to order joes exhaust, I hope I like it
Thank you for your input. Could you say a bit more on which brands you have had issues with? I have done some research, but do not have any personal experience. The brand that I have heard I need to stay away from is the Race Ready Cutouts and possibly the QTP. The brands that I read more positive reviews about were the Raceland and DMH amongst others. I don't keep cars longer than a year, so as long as it can last 12 months (or most likely less) then we are good! It seems to me like for my personal needs, my wife wants silent and I basically like as loud as possible, this would be a fantastic and cost effective solution.
Old 03-04-16, 05:41 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

DB, I used to be big in the MKIV Supras, still have a couple and a MKIII to boot, and I tried a lot of cutouts on them and never had any success over a long time period. I do not recall any of the particular brands and/or how they would match against todays offerings. They may have made great strides in the past few years and no longer suffer from those issues but I would be doubtful. I also do not believe a N/A car would benefit a whole lot from the reduction of so much back pressure, at least not on the low end. I would think if you had a decent flowing exhaust and had cutouts as well you would not want the cutouts to open until you were off and well in the upper rpm ranges
Old 03-04-16, 05:58 AM
Db750
Driver

DB, I used to be big in the MKIV Supras, still have a couple and a MKIII to boot, and I tried a lot of cutouts on them and never had any success over a long time period. I do not recall any of the particular brands and/or how they would match against todays offerings. They may have made great strides in the past few years and no longer suffer from those issues but I would be doubtful. I also do not believe a N/A car would benefit a whole lot from the reduction of so much back pressure, at least not on the low end. I would think if you had a decent flowing exhaust and had cutouts as well you would not want the cutouts to open until you were off and well in the upper rpm ranges
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate that as you definitely have far more experience that I do! It sounds like I need to do some more research on not only the quality of the cutout, but also how it will work on this platform. I definitely do not want to have to take the car back to the muffler shop to have the cutouts removed, sent off for replacement, and then go back to have them reinstalled like I have read many times on other forums.

I am assuming that your thoughts regarding lack of back pressure would also pertain to the muffler delete posted in the video above. I have had several muffler deletes on NA engines such as my M3 and also a V10 M6 and never noticed any issues or lack of power, but I am not very familiar with how something of this nature would effect the RCF.

Thank you again for your advice!
Old 03-04-16, 06:06 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

DB, my experience is with boosted cars so some of this may not pertain. I would think that a muffler delete would not hurt low end as there is still plenty of back pressure through resonators and exhaust length. Turbo cars seem to have an easier time removing all exhaust restriction, as they still have a huge restriction in the form of a snail (or two) being driven by the exhaust gasses. In a N/a car I would think you would lose low end torque with dumps straight off the headers or manifolds but obviously see gains in the upper rpm range when all that mass is already in motion.

Please do not take my opinions as gospel and I would certainly do your research, they may have made great strides but the basic principle is still there working against it. Nothing would make a luxo cruiser like ours more obnoxious to drive then it being loud as a Harley all the time, especially on long trips. YMMV
Originally Posted by Db750
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate that as you definitely have far more experience that I do! It sounds like I need to do some more research on not only the quality of the cutout, but also how it will work on this platform. I definitely do not want to have to take the car back to the muffler shop to have the cutouts removed, sent off for replacement, and then go back to have them reinstalled like I have read many times on other forums.

I am assuming that your thoughts regarding lack of back pressure would also pertain to the muffler delete posted in the video above. I have had several muffler deletes on NA engines such as my M3 and also a V10 M6 and never noticed any issues or lack of power, but I am not very familiar with how something of this nature would effect the RCF.

Thank you again for your advice!
Old 03-04-16, 06:18 AM
Db750
Driver

DB, my experience is with boosted cars so some of this may not pertain. I would think that a muffler delete would not hurt low end as there is still plenty of back pressure through resonators and exhaust length. Turbo cars seem to have an easier time removing all exhaust restriction, as they still have a huge restriction in the form of a snail (or two) being driven by the exhaust gasses. In a N/a car I would think you would lose low end torque with dumps straight off the headers or manifolds but obviously see gains in the upper rpm range when all that mass is already in motion.

Please do not take my opinions as gospel and I would certainly do your research, they may have made great strides but the basic principle is still there working against it. Nothing would make a luxo cruiser like ours more obnoxious to drive then it being loud as a Harley all the time, especially on long trips. YMMV
Thank you for your reply. You have answered many of my questions and also made me aware of a few issues I could possibly have with this setup and I appreciate that. I will continue to do research and I will post what I find here.

I agree with you on not wanting the car obnoxious all the time. With some of my previous cars they were very loud, but man they sounded amazing when out ripping through the gears. After 50,000+ miles in big NA engines with no muffler I am finally getting tired of the noise all the time, so moving forward I want to have the best of both worlds so that when on a long trip or cruise we can have some quiet to enjoy the ML sound!