RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F aftermarket springs options

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 10:08 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
Thx. Did you do the install yourself? If not, how much did it run?
Nope, had a friend of mine who owns a shop install and align everything for me. It was like $120-$150 if I remember correctly.
Old 03-03-16, 11:19 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
Thx. Did you do the install yourself? If not, how much did it run?
Spring installation should be anywhere from $80-100.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-03-16, 11:33 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have this with springs love the way they handle I didn't want to drop any lower since I want to enjoy the drive in this car
Old 03-04-16, 08:17 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Thank you all for the input. Curious...has anyone had both on their car? I want the drop but wondering which set it more comfortable for a daily driver on the street?
Old 03-07-16, 05:48 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

I had the RSR springs and threw them in the trash after they bottomed out and cost me ~700$ to replace a rear wiring harness. Made my dash light up like a Xmas tree from all the failure lights. Went with the Penske coil overs and haven't looked back since. If you drive your car spirited, I'd think twice about just going with lowering springs.
Old 03-07-16, 07:49 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,559 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnevino
I had the RSR springs and threw them in the trash after they bottomed out and cost me ~700$ to replace a rear wiring harness. Made my dash light up like a Xmas tree from all the failure lights. Went with the Penske coil overs and haven't looked back since. If you drive your car spirited, I'd think twice about just going with lowering springs.
Did you get your TRD goodies yet?
Old 03-07-16, 07:33 PM
look595
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

are there any issues with lowering springs? i heard there is negative camber once you install the springs.
Old 03-07-16, 09:44 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by look595
are there any issues with lowering springs? i heard there is negative camber once you install the springs.
Your camber will barely get effected. You don't have to get an alignment after spring installation either. Some people do, and it doesn't hurt to. I haven't heard anyone complain or report any issues about Swift Springs. All my customers love them!

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 03-08-16, 09:11 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Your camber will barely get effected. You don't have to get an alignment after spring installation either. Some people do, and it doesn't hurt to. I haven't heard anyone complain or report any issues about Swift Springs. All my customers love them!

-Josh
Josh this isn't true at all.

You DEFINITELY need an alignment after being lowered. Rear tire wear becomes excessive and the handling characteristics are negatively effected.

Some Figs parts never hurt either.
Old 03-08-16, 09:15 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
Josh this isn't true at all.

You DEFINITELY need an alignment after being lowered. Rear tire wear becomes excessive and the handling characteristics are negatively effected.

Some Figs parts never hurt either.
When I lowered my 3IS on Swifts, the alignment spec sheet before and after was pretty much the same. Customers that did get an alignment on their RCF, report back that they didn't need one.

In my past experience, whenever I installed coilovers I always needed an alignment. But hey, I'm not saying it's bad to get an alignment. :P

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 03-09-16, 11:22 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are going to spend the money to drop the car, save up a bit and go with coilovers. You will get a much better ride without the extra strain on your brand new $60K+ card
1-855-998-8726
Old 03-09-16, 12:26 PM
panita2010
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
If you are going to spend the money to drop the car, save up a bit and go with coilovers. You will get a much better ride without the extra strain on your brand new $60K+ card
completely agree
Old 03-09-16, 01:24 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by panita2010
completely agree
Not really much strain on the car... Swifts are manufactured within the OEM shock stroke. Ride is no rougher than stock.

Why waste your money on coils if you're not one to track and/or tend to adjust height often? Plus in my limited experience with coils...*****es squeak (Tein super street)
Old 03-09-16, 02:20 PM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by equalme
Not really much strain on the car... Swifts are manufactured within the OEM shock stroke. Ride is no rougher than stock.

Why waste your money on coils if you're not one to track and/or tend to adjust height often? Plus in my limited experience with coils...*****es squeak (Tein super street)
I would say then you may have had an issue with the coilovers. Coilovers and Lowering Springs are two different classifications of products. While they both can achieve a goal of lowering your car, track is not the only reason to have coilovers.

With lowering springs you are stuck with one height, with one dampening setting and you have to live with it. The higher the spring drop you choose, you are sacrificing your ride quality. There is no disputing that. Its in the equation. Spring/Shock combo mechanics are completely different than a coilover setup. You would feel less through a coil over shock than you would through a standard shock.

On just lowering springs, your suspension is lowered and travel is reduced, yet there is no increased spring rate or damping force to prevent bottoming out of the shocks.
1-855-998-8726
Old 03-09-16, 03:50 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say then you may have had an issue with the coilovers. Coilovers and Lowering Springs are two different classifications of products. While they both can achieve a goal of lowering your car, track is not the only reason to have coilovers.

With lowering springs you are stuck with one height, with one dampening setting and you have to live with it. The higher the spring drop you choose, you are sacrificing your ride quality. There is no disputing that. Its in the equation. Spring/Shock combo mechanics are completely different than a coilover setup. You would feel less through a coil over shock than you would through a standard shock.

On just lowering springs, your suspension is lowered and travel is reduced, yet there is no increased spring rate or damping force to prevent bottoming out of the shocks.
Obviously... As to why I stated for those that don't track AND/OR adjust height often. You're talking about spending $1.5k+ for a coilover set vs a $300ish spring setup. I'm sorry but I tracked my 370z with swift springs with no issues, and there are plenty of other track cars that run swifts (granted most of us are the average joe that see the track no more than 3-4 times a year). I have also never bottomed out with my 370z. Can't comment on the RCF as I never planned to track it.

And about the dampening, perhaps it was only the Teins, but I couldn't feel a damn difference. The valved dampening on my lifted FJC is a completely different feeling though.

Quick Reply: RC F aftermarket springs options