RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F aftermarket springs options

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 08:03 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts
Default RC F aftermarket springs options

So I was thinking about lowering the car (kill the evil wheel gap) but I am trying to stay with reliability and not mess with the Lexus engineered magnetic dampening system that is active in S+.

So I was thinking about lowering springs. I have only seen 2 options so far: Swift and RSR. Anyone know of other options?

Also, I would like opinions on both and how the suspension will hold up in the long run with them isntalled. If installing will prematurely reduce the longevity of my OEM shocks, I will end up passing on the springs.

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 03-03-16 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-03-16, 08:43 AM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think we had any active suspension components in the RC F. However, also interested in the topic. I mainly want to improve handling, but won't be tracking the car very often so not sure if coilovers are worth it.
Old 03-03-16, 09:23 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

The RCF suspension is not active.

Changing the engineered dynamics of the strut in any way will effect the longevity... however the Swift springs are developed and engineered to remain relatively within the spec of the stock strut.

The swifts have a slightly higher spring rate than the RSR's, and I have had great luck with Swift products in the past (two ISF's). I currently have RSR suspension installed and new Swift springs sitting in a box.

That being said if a set of Penske's/Ohlins pop up for a deal I would pick them up in a heartbeat.
Old 03-03-16, 09:32 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by kdu
I didn't think we had any active suspension components in the RC F. However, also interested in the topic. I mainly want to improve handling, but won't be tracking the car very often so not sure if coilovers are worth it.
Not active but...

SUSPENSION (FRONT)
Independent, double-wishbone with forged-aluminum components, coil springs, gas-pressurized electronically controlled shock absorbers and hollow stabilizer bar

SUSPENSION (REAR)
Independent, multilink with forged-aluminum components, coil springs, gas-pressurized electronically controlled shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
Old 03-03-16, 09:49 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
The RCF suspension is not active.

Changing the engineered dynamics of the strut in any way will effect the longevity... however the Swift springs are developed and engineered to remain relatively within the spec of the stock strut.

The swifts have a slightly higher spring rate than the RSR's, and I have had great luck with Swift products in the past (two ISF's). I currently have RSR suspension installed and new Swift springs sitting in a box.

That being said if a set of Penske's/Ohlins pop up for a deal I would pick them up in a heartbeat.
Thanks.

Question: Are you planning to use your swifts or are they just getting dusty and need a new home?
Old 03-03-16, 09:51 AM
kdu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Not active but...

SUSPENSION (FRONT)
Independent, double-wishbone with forged-aluminum components, coil springs, gas-pressurized electronically controlled shock absorbers and hollow stabilizer bar

SUSPENSION (REAR)
Independent, multilink with forged-aluminum components, coil springs, gas-pressurized electronically controlled shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
That would mean adaptive suspension?
Old 03-03-16, 10:05 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,559 Likes on 679 Posts

There's NOTHING electronic or electronically controlled about the factory dampers.
If I didn't want the adjustability of the Ohlins, I would have stayed with the swift springs, they lower the car just right and make the ride just a little stiffer but body roll is greatly reduced. Perfect set of springs, IMHO, if you just want to lower the car and not mess with adjusting anything.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 03-03-16 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-03-16, 10:15 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

I've sold quiet a few set of RCF springs and all my customers have reported back to me that the drop was perfect and the way the car handled was just what they were looking for.

If you want to change the ride of your car to a day and night difference, Penske/Ohlin coilovers are the way to go, but they cost about 5 car payments.

Feel free to message me with any questions.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-03-16, 11:47 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Thanks.

Question: Are you planning to use your swifts or are they just getting dusty and need a new home?
Undecided if I want to install the swifts, or leave the RSR springs.
Old 03-03-16, 12:47 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the swifts on now for about 2k miles and they're amazing. Perfect height front and rear, slightly stiffer and "bouncier" than stock but still very comfortable. My RCF is my daily and I love how it drives and handles with the swift springs.
Old 03-03-16, 01:08 PM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Try RRRacing - Penske coilovers - best shock on the market. Read the technology behind the design. http://www.rr-racing.com/ - read his paper on suspensions.
Old 03-03-16, 06:55 PM
kdu
Rookie

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
I've had the swifts on now for about 2k miles and they're amazing. Perfect height front and rear, slightly stiffer and "bouncier" than stock but still very comfortable. My RCF is my daily and I love how it drives and handles with the swift springs.
Which ones do you have? Spec-R?
Old 03-03-16, 07:10 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
Which ones do you have? Spec-R?
Yes, Swift Spec-R. I believe these are the only ones available for the RCF anyways.
Old 03-03-16, 07:29 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Yes, Swift Spec-R. I believe these are the only ones available for the RCF anyways.
Correct.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-03-16, 07:51 PM
kdu
Rookie

Thx. Did you do the install yourself? If not, how much did it run?

Quick Reply: RC F aftermarket springs options