RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Thinking about purchasing an RC F.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 09:54 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about purchasing an RC F.

I test drove a 2015 Lexus RC F today. It's a certified Lexus with 11,000 miles and they are asking $62,500 for the vehicle. I am in VA. From my understanding, it will come with a 5 year/ unlimited mileage warranty.

Is this a good price? Is there any room for negotiation? I like the car, but I'm not sure it's worth what they are asking. And, they are offering a ridiculous amount for my trade-in. I have a 2015 Mazda Mada3 s grand touring with 13,000 miles and their trade in offer is $15,000. I paid $26,000 a year ago.

How reliable are these cars? I know they are fairly new, so the longevity of them is anyone's guess. But Lexus is known for reliability and quality.

What would you expect the yearly maintenance to be? Tires? Brakes? Oil changes?

Checking on my insurance tomorrow to see what the rates are.
Old 03-09-16, 10:14 PM
estoyf
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

62.5 is overpriced for a used one with 11k miles. From my experience with certain lexus dealerships though, lexus CPO vehicles are priced firmly. Meaning no room to negotiate. On new inventory, there is admittedly more room to negotiate. You can get a brand new 2015 at this point for that price.

Insurance with state farm is about 125/mo. For me. As far as reliability goes, that's one of the bigger reasons I chose lexus over its German competitors.
Old 03-09-16, 10:15 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

I'm reading other threads where people are buying brand new RC Fs in the 60-65K range. I'm looking in my area and they are all priced at $73K plus, and the certified ones are $59-62K.

Thoughts?
Old 03-09-16, 10:18 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by estoyf
62.5 is overpriced for a used one with 11k miles. From my experience with certain lexus dealerships though, lexus CPO vehicles are priced firmly. Meaning no room to negotiate. On new inventory, there is admittedly more room to negotiate. You can get a brand new 2015 at this point for that price.

Insurance with state farm is about 125/mo. For me
This same dealership has a brand new white one listed for $74K. It is a 2016. The cpo warranty appeals to me, but if I can get the car brand new for the same price, that's a no brainer.
Old 03-09-16, 10:19 PM
estoyf
Rookie

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
I'm reading other threads where people are buying brand new RC Fs in the 60-65K range. I'm looking in my area and they are all priced at $73K plus, and the certified ones are $59-62K.

Thoughts?
Whatever 2015s you are looking at should be heavily discounted at this point. If you're solely doing online research, most dealerships won't advertise the discount online. Mine was still listed at 79k msrp on its website. It wasn't until I visited in person that I learned it was marked down 14k.
Old 03-10-16, 02:14 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Whatever 2015s you are looking at should be heavily discounted at this point. If you're solely doing online research, most dealerships won't advertise the discount online. Mine was still listed at 79k msrp on its website. It wasn't until I visited in person that I learned it was marked down 14k.
Wasn't there a short period of time when Lexus, the manufacturer, was offering dealers an additional $5k of back end money in addition to a holdback resulting in deals such as yours? Wasn't the $5k back end money also available if financing through Toyota, or was it leasing? Is the manufacturer still offering $5k back end or dealer money per unit? If not, telling someone a dealer will go $14k off may not be an accurate statement.

Circumstances and deals change. Money and dealer incentive change. Deals may also be better in months like October or January than in December or March. Not all dealers will evenly heavily discount to the extent you may have experienced even when the manufacturer had a huge incentive or back end money.

OP, for a new RCF, find out invoice and try and determine hold back or whether manufacturer CURRENTLY has dealer incentives from secondary sources and you may try and use that or those figures to reduce the price below invoice. Dealers are in this game to make money and not all dealers were doing $14k off even when the $5k and holdback were available.

Lol, just estoyf got $14k off, doesn't mean you will, can or or anyone else will or can right now in March of 2016 at any given dealer across the country.

As for your used price, there may be much less flexibility there depending how much the dealer has in the car. My guess is you can get them to come down a bit more depending on original MSRP. How long did you mess with the process? If that was first pen, you need to try and counter. If that was third or fourth deal offered, difficult to say if they have more room.

Last edited by DougHII; 03-10-16 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 02:20 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Just to give you an idea of what I paid for mine:

Back on October 31, 2015 I was at a giant SoCal Lexus dealer looking for a RC-F (I had already visited two other SoCal Lexus dealers earlier during the day and test drove ALL VARIOUS COMBINATIONS OF THE RC'S. Including Rc350's and RC-F's with and without TVD). There was an Ultra White loaded 2015 Lexus RC-F with 2xxx miles with everything except HUD/Carbon/TVD. It had ML, Navi, upgraded Lexus rims (the middle level, I think the 20 spokes??), carbon trims interior, sunroof, and etc..... With Lexus Certified to 100K miles which is way more than the original brand new Lexus warranty.

I was ready to buy and the date was Oct. 31 which is double jeopardy for most sales people (the end of the month and a weekend coming up)......they might NOT want to gamble on SOMEBODY will buy it over the weekend, but it will be in the next month, November type of thing.

So the salesman asked me (after i gave him the number of $59000) if I was ready to buy TODAY. I said YES, right here and right now. He reaffirmed again by saying if he takes my number to his boss, am I going to buy the car TODAY??? I reaffirmed him with YES (he had already knew I had done business many times at the same Lexus dealership, therefore I am a qualified and serious buyer). BTW, the original NEW listed price was around $75xxx (if I remembered correctly). The Certified Lexus Used car price was originally set at $68888. It was from some "elderly lady" who bought it brand new and later on can not tolerate the firm/stiff ride and a couple of months later turned it into the same Lexus dealer and traded for another new Lexus LS460. (Therefore, that same Lexus dealer had ALREADY made their money twice over ALREADY!!!) I asked to see the records later on after I "bought it". So the RC-F was not abused as far as I can tell.

He came back congratulating me and we signed some paperwork and off I go with my RC-F!!!

So you must have a number in mind to give to the sales person. But remember you can always go up and CAN NOT GO DOWN. The reverse is true from the sales person's perspective. The current situation with the RC-F is a rare opportunity for you (the buyer) to name your price since you have an upper hand.

If the sales person turns down your offer, then QUICKLY without delay thank him/her and leave him/her with your contact info and ask to be called back should they decide to take your offer. AND LEAVE the Lexus Dealer QUICKLY. This is a psychological effect on the sales person! He/she will try to keep you!!! And make it clear that YOU ARE READY TO BUY TODAY SOMEWHERE and you must leave to test drive and see other cars TODAY !!! I can assure you most Lexus dealers are READY TO DEAL NOW since the RC-F is not moving at all PLUS the prices at the auctions are dropping. They don't want to be stuck with it. Besides, they can make it up when you take the RC-F in for routine service (that is what they are hoping) and when you return some years down the road to trade in for some new models later. Incidentally, the two first SoCal Lexus dealers I had visited earlier during that same day called me later on that evening wanting to "deal", but I told them I had already bought an RC-F!!!

BTW, the money you saved "extra" with the lower price can be "budgeted" for the tires you will have to buy at way more frequently versus your Mazda. The tires on these "sports cars" don't last but like 15K miles, if you are lucky. On my MB SLK55 AMG, the rear tires only lasted some 12K miles. The front ones around 24K miles.

Good luck!!!

This same dealership has a brand new white one listed for $74K. It is a 2016. The cpo warranty appeals to me, but if I can get the car brand new for the same price, that's a no brainer.
Old 03-10-16, 02:46 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I test drove a 2015 Lexus RC F today. It's a certified Lexus with 11,000 miles and they are asking $62,500 for the vehicle. I am in VA. From my understanding, it will come with a 5 year/ unlimited mileage warranty.

Is this a good price? Is there any room for negotiation? I like the car, but I'm not sure it's worth what they are asking. And, they are offering a ridiculous amount for my trade-in. I have a 2015 Mazda Mada3 s grand touring with 13,000 miles and their trade in offer is $15,000. I paid $26,000 a year ago.

How reliable are these cars? I know they are fairly new, so the longevity of them is anyone's guess. But Lexus is known for reliability and quality.

What would you expect the yearly maintenance to be? Tires? Brakes? Oil changes?

Checking on my insurance tomorrow to see what the rates are.
To answer a few if your questions, tires, brakes and services are going to be more expensive on a high performance car. You can get tire prices on various model tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to the dealer. Services vary according to the milege interval, but ask dealer to provide you a cost break down of the services if that worries you. Brakes are a bit pricey if going through the dealer, but you can go with pads other than the manufacturer pads purchased through dealer to reduce costs. A full brake job for mine was about $1,700 at the dealer, but you can go with Carbotechs or comparable pads and reduce that prices by about half.

People can also tell you all day long what they are paying for insurance, as with the great deals they may have or may not have gotten, but that will also depend on you and your location.

At the end of the day, the RCF is a heck of a lot of car packed with both oerformance and luxury for an incredibly cheap price of admission at $62k or even $75k. Lexus is a new kid on the block so to speak in the performance coupe market and people in this market can be extremely brand loyal and will not be easily pulled away from the comparable German models when dealing comparable price and performance figures. This is equating to some very good deals out there for new and used RCFs and making the price of admission unbelievably cheap for what you are getting.
Old 03-10-16, 06:05 AM
estoyf
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
Wasn't there a short period of time when Lexus, the manufacturer, was offering dealers an additional $5k of back end money in addition to a holdback resulting in deals such as yours? Wasn't the $5k back end money also available if financing through Toyota, or was it leasing? Is the manufacturer still offering $5k back end or dealer money per unit? If not, telling someone a dealer will go $14k off may not be an accurate statement.

Circumstances and deals change. Money and dealer incentive change. Deals may also be better in months like October or January than in December or March. Not all dealers will evenly heavily discount to the extent you may have experienced even when the manufacturer had a huge incentive or back end money.

OP, for a new RCF, find out invoice and try and determine hold back or whether manufacturer CURRENTLY has dealer incentives from secondary sources and you may try and use that or those figures to reduce the price below invoice. Dealers are in this game to make money and not all dealers were doing $14k off even when the $5k and holdback were available.

Lol, just estoyf got $14k off, doesn't mean you will, can or or anyone else will or can right now in March of 2016 at any given dealer across the country.

As for your used price, there may be much less flexibility there depending how much the dealer has in the car. My guess is you can get them to come down a bit more depending on original MSRP. How long did you mess with the process? If that was first pen, you need to try and counter. If that was third or fourth deal offered, difficult to say if they have more room.
Don't know about past deals and incentives you are referring to, but I was referring OP to the fact that I just bought mine last Monday. Its a buyers market for 2015 rcfs right now. In my opinion, if your local dealership isn't trying to push whatever leftover 2015 inventory they have out the door at this point, keep looking. Deals can be found.
Old 03-10-16, 06:20 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
To answer a few if your questions, tires, brakes and services are going to be more expensive on a high performance car. You can get tire prices on various model tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to the dealer. Services vary according to the milege interval, but ask dealer to provide you a cost break down of the services if that worries you. Brakes are a bit pricey if going through the dealer, but you can go with pads other than the manufacturer pads purchased through dealer to reduce costs. A full brake job for mine was about $1,700 at the dealer, but you can go with Carbotechs or comparable pads and reduce that prices by about half.

People can also tell you all day long what they are paying for insurance, as with the great deals they may have or may not have gotten, but that will also depend on you and your location.

At the end of the day, the RCF is a heck of a lot of car packed with both oerformance and luxury for an incredibly cheap price of admission at $62k or even $75k. Lexus is a new kid on the block so to speak in the performance coupe market and people in this market can be extremely brand loyal and will not be easily pulled away from the comparable German models when dealing comparable price and performance figures. This is equating to some very good deals out there for new and used RCFs and making the price of admission unbelievably cheap for what you are getting.
THIS. Get the best deal you can and don't fret over it. Even at full sticker, the RC-F is a bargain. I've bought two of them: one in November for roughly $62k (1900 miles, all options sans carbon package); one in February for roughly $69k (no miles, all options, including carbon package (they were exceedingly fair on my trade)).
Old 03-10-16, 08:32 AM
brandonrcf
Rookie

I just shopped around and called a dealership in Northern VA. They were willing to discount $10K. Called the dealership back here and they are also willing to negotiate $10K on a 2015 Lexus and will even drop a few thousand off of the CPO RC F with 11k miles.

Here's the numbers: 2015 Lexus R CF (New) for $63,590

Or, a 2015 Lexus RC F (CPO) with 11k miles for $60,000, mind you the 6 yr / unlimited mileage warranty

Which would you do? Is the warranty worth it? Another consideration is that the used RC F will be due for brakes and tires much sooner.
Old 03-10-16, 08:39 AM
estoyf
Rookie

$3,500 more for a brand new one would be a no-brainer for me. However, it really depends on if one model is spec'd out more to your liking than the other. what options do both have?
Old 03-10-16, 08:43 AM
brandonrcf
Rookie

$3,500 more for a brand new one would be a no-brainer for me. However, it really depends on if one model is spec'd out more to your liking than the other. what options do both have?
So, you don't think the unlimited mileage / 6 yr warranty is worth it?

I like the new one better - it is white with red seats.

See the specs and packages for the new one here:
http://www.lexusofrichmond.com/detai.../7189239?cid=4

And, the CPO one, here:
http://www.lexusofrichmond.com/detai...10763354?cid=0
Old 03-10-16, 08:51 AM
estoyf
Rookie

if the warranty and peace of mind is what you are concerned about, lexus also does offer the extended warranty that essentially doubles the length of the new vehicle warranty. Forgot how much they were asking for it though. That white/red combo is amazing.
Old 03-10-16, 08:58 AM
brandonrcf
Rookie

I'm letting the two dealers fight over me now. I'm at $11K off

Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing an RC F.