RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus is learning about supply and demand...but GSF :/

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 07:03 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by crazymikie
Cadillac can suck a fat one as far as I'm concerned. I will never buy another Cadillac or GM vehicle. Ever.

In the 2 years/14k miles I owned my 2011 CTS-V the piece of crap was in the shop for 8 weeks total. Cadillac customer service wouldn't do anything to make up for this except to tell me that they were "sorry the car didn't meet my expectations."

So, in this case, I think you get what you pay for. The interior of the RC-F is superior, it doesn't squeak, rattle and make weird noises that the dealer says are "normal."

Sorry to hear about the issues you had with your CTS-V, and as you know there is good and bad with everything. There are RC-F owners on this forum that are having trans and fuel pump issues. So should we say all RC F's are crap.. I don't think so..

Of course Lexus has a better reputation for reliability and in my several extended test drives there is no doubt the RC F is more refined. But I have had my 13 V for close to 3 years now and it has been great..I would buy another in a heartbeat because the car is a blast to drive. My father (72) just turned in his 12 coupe after 3 1/2 years and 35K miles of trouble free FUN, and he is kicking himself for not buying it off lease.

There are a lot of V owners that run their cars hard, track them and have well over 75K miles and the cars are still running strong. These cars are known to be pretty bullet proof considering how hard they are usually driven if well maintained.

In my experience most people (not all) who have problems with V's are people that purchased one pre-owned, and then later come to find that the car was abused. You have to be very careful when buying a pre-owned perfomance car. BTW, I am not saying you purchased your V pre-owned.

Again, sorry you had problems. I can relate because after a terrible experience with an MB product I doubt I would purchase one again, but who knows because my wife still likes them. However, I don't consider all MB products "crap".

Last edited by JT4; 04-04-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 07:27 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Cadillac has 640hp in the CTS V just to make a case for itself vs the Germans AND at a lower cost.

Lexus has poor marketing folks to think that ppl care about overpriced 467hp 4 door sedan that looks exactly like a regular GS Fsport that costs $50k. It needs to give it at least 600hp for the target market to even take a look.
Could have been a different story if it were +100hp and +50tq = 567/443...
Old 04-04-16, 07:59 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did buy my car pre-owned, however, I don't think that's an excuse. The car had 24,000 miles on it. No matter how the car was driven, it shouldn't not have had so many issues. Moreover, it's a 550 hp car- how did GM think it was going to be driven. Things like leaking sunroofs, steering wheels falling apart and other build quality issues have nothing to do with how the car was driven.

Moreover, Cadillac's non-chalant attitude put me over the edge. They could have come back and said if you trade in your car on a new one, we'll do -something- for you, but they couldn't give a ****. So now, they have lost a customer. As far as I'm concerned, they should have been left to go bankrupt when they were broke.

I had a Honda Fit that I drove mercilessly for 35k miles. I never had one issue and that is an econobox. There is no excuse for GM not being able to build a car that can last more than 36k miles without having major work done to it.

And yes, Lexus is having issues with a new model- don't forget that GM has recalls on superchargers and ignition switches. At least Lexus is actually doing something about it. People had to fight with GM for years before they accepted responsibility.

Originally Posted by JT4
Sorry to hear about the issues you had with your CTS-V, and as you know there is good and bad with everything. There are RC-F owners on this forum that are having trans and fuel pump issues. So should we say all RC F's are crap.. I don't think so..

Of course Lexus has a better reputation for reliability, but I have had my 13 V for close to 3 years now and it has been great..I would buy another in a heartbeat because the car is a blast to drive. My father (72) just turned in his 12 coupe after 3 1/2 years and 35K miles of trouble free FUN, and he is kicking himself for not buying it off lease.

There are a lot of V owners that have run their cars hard, track them and have well over 75K miles and the cars are still running strong. These cars are known to be pretty bullet proof considering how hard they are usually driven.

In my experience most people (not all) who have problems with V's are people that purchased one pre-owned. And then later come to find that the car was abused. You have to be very careful when buying a pre-owned perfomance car. BTW, I am not saying you purchased your V pre-owned.

Again, sorry you had problems. I can relate because after a terrible experience with and MB product I doubt I would purchase one again, but who knows. However, I don't consider all of them "crap".
Old 04-04-16, 09:56 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I also do not view cars as an investment, but let's talk real $$$ to own an drive an RCF. My car is a $72k plus sticker. I purchased it 13 months ago. It has 24,000 miles. Can you estimate what I could get for it now? Perhaps $47k? That would be a $25k hit in value in 13 months or 35% of the value gone in 13 months. Candidly, I probably would only get $45k for it and I am about to find out as I am going back to a turbo cab in the next month or so when I get some down time to locate or order what I want.

Anyway, that is over $2,000 a month not counting $3k in brakes, $2k in tires, 1k in services. I could be in a lot of much nicer, more expensive cars that are decently liquid for that amount. At the end of the day, the RCF is a decent car, but lesson learned straying outside my comfort level and going with an off brand or Japenese in the performance market.

RE: Service

What German cars have bad service? My primary experience with Porsche who has phenomenal service and they have been bullet proof from my experience with them over the years. With the exception of wife driving a C2 a while back and a Cayenne, I have had turbos and GT cars since 90s so I avoided the RMS and IMS issues with the M96 engines.

Bimmer had decent service. The problem with them was I got to know them too well because my M3 car was in the shop a lot.

Mercedes has excellent service.

Lexus service was actually a bit slow at getting cars back or meeting deadlines and not real good at pointing out issues timely, such as brake wear, which could handled at a 5k interval rather than making me bring it back in again between a 5k interval.

Lexus service seems woefully in knowledgeable about product such as the RCF and is pretty much clueless about the car and the issues it is having.

Not sure I see this Lexus service is tops or Lexus IS most reliable argument when it comes to the newer non-granny wagon stuff that actually is meant to have some stress placed on it.
You may have wonderful German Dealers Doug. I haven't found any around me yet. Do they deliver a loaner to your house and pick up your car for service? My dealer once drove my car from Fort Worth to Dallas to deliver my car and pick up my loaner at where I worked. My BMW and Mercedes dealers are near impossible to get a salesman to talk to me. I walked around the Mercedes dealer for 30-45 minutes getting in and out of cars...no one asked me if I needed anything until I walked out the door. The Audi dealer told me you have to schedule service a good bit in advance since they are so small. Lexus gets me in that day or the next day. But you maybe right Doug...Lexus may need to improve their high performance car service. They certainly need to fix the few issues people are having. I'm tired of reading about fuel pumps.

One area for Lexus for improvement is who handles Enform subscriptions. Apparently it is Sirius XM. Terrible customer service. Going to talk to my dealer about that this week.

Last edited by Frog98; 04-04-16 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 10:53 AM
PMan
Driver School Candidate

I also do not view cars as an investment, but let's talk real $$$ to own an drive an RCF. My car is a $72k plus sticker. I purchased it 13 months ago. It has 24,000 miles. Can you estimate what I could get for it now? Perhaps $47k? That would be a $25k hit in value in 13 months or 35% of the value gone in 13 months. Candidly, I probably would only get $45k for it and I am about to find out as I am going back to a turbo cab in the next month or so when I get some down time to locate or order what I want.

Anyway, that is over $2,000 a month not counting $3k in brakes, $2k in tires, 1k in services. I could be in a lot of much nicer, more expensive cars that are decently liquid for that amount. At the end of the day, the RCF is a decent car, but lesson learned straying outside my comfort level and going with an off brand or Japenese in the performance market.

What German cars have bad service? My primary experience with Porsche who has phenomenal service and they have been bullet proof from my experience with them over the years. With the exception of wife driving a C2 a while back and a Cayenne, I have had turbos and GT cars since 90s so I avoided the RMS and IMS issues with the M96 engines.

Bimmer had decent service. The problem with them was I got to know them too well because my M3 car was in the shop a lot.

Lexus service was actually a bit slow at getting cars back or meeting deadlines and not real good at pointing out issues timely, such as brake wear, which could handled at a 5k interval rather than making me bring it back in again between a 5k interval.

Lexus service seems woefully in knowledgeable about product such as the RCF and is pretty much clueless about the car and the issues it is having.
I think your service experience will vary from dealer to dealer depending on where you are. I have never had a problem with my local Lexus dealerships regarding service. However, I have heard horror stories from friends/family that go to other Lexus dealers in other areas/states. I think this will apply to any brand. Lexus is however overall considered to be the best brand when it comes to service, and honestly from what I have seen and heard, I believe it. Not to say others brands don't have excellent service at particular dealerships.

It sounds like you have been lucky with your german car dealers when it comes to service. I will also admit that they have gotten better over the years. My experience with BMW was part of the reason I sold my 335 on Saturday. Others in my family have Mercedes SUVs and have had less than stellar service from them, as well. Porsche has been good from what I hear.

Not sure I see this Lexus service is tops or Lexus IS most reliable argument when it comes to the newer non-granny wagon stuff that actually is meant to have some stress placed on it.
I have to disagree here.

People can and have driven the crap out of Lexus/Toyota vehicles for years and never had a problem. Even those that are not meant to be "driven hard". I drive my LX (both of them) very hard. My 01 has been on all sorts of off road trips, and I don't mean just driving down a gravel road. Check out IH8MUD.com. My other one has been offroad a bit as well, but tows our 6000lb boat/trailer every summer. Neither has ever had anything go wrong with it. This is all on top of the fact that my right foot is made out of lead.

Driving fast is only one of many ways you can put stress on a vehicle. And honestly, the stress from driving fast is not as bad as what other Toyota products are put through ( Land Cruisers in Australia, Middle East, anywhere other than NA, for example)

Toyota knows how to make vehicles reliable. Their engineers know how to design and test things so that they last. Furthermore, this is actually a design requirement for Toyota/Lexus products. Using the Land Cruiser as an example again, one design requirement was that the engine and transmission MUST have a minimum service life of 250,000 miles in heavy usage (way harsher than how people treat them in the states) before requiring an overhaul. A vehicle is only as reliable as the engineers want it to be, in the case of Toyota they want it to be reliable.

Last point here, the 2UR-GSE from the IS F/ RC F/ GS F has in one form or another succesfully run and finished the Dakar rally multiple times in multiple cars with multiple teams. It is also used in several other Toyota race vehicles. No other performance car on the market can say that.

Of all the brands out there, with the exception of maybe Porsche, A Toyota/Lexus is probably going to be the most reliable when put under stress from performance driving on the street or the track.
Old 04-04-16, 11:37 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what has happened in the last few months? you were one of the RC-F's biggest defenders and your last few posts make it seem that you are somewhat put-off by it, now. apologies if i'm misreading the situation...
Old 04-04-16, 12:42 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

I did buy my car pre-owned, however, I don't think that's an excuse. The car had 24,000 miles on it. No matter how the car was driven, it shouldn't not have had so many issues. Moreover, it's a 550 hp car- how did GM think it was going to be driven. Things like leaking sunroofs, steering wheels falling apart and other build quality issues have nothing to do with how the car was driven.

Moreover, Cadillac's non-chalant attitude put me over the edge. They could have come back and said if you trade in your car on a new one, we'll do -something- for you, but they couldn't give a ****. So now, they have lost a customer. As far as I'm concerned, they should have been left to go bankrupt when they were broke.

I had a Honda Fit that I drove mercilessly for 35k miles. I never had one issue and that is an econobox. There is no excuse for GM not being able to build a car that can last more than 36k miles without having major work done to it.

And yes, Lexus is having issues with a new model- don't forget that GM has recalls on superchargers and ignition switches. At least Lexus is actually doing something about it. People had to fight with GM for years before they accepted responsibility.

I agree there is no excuse, but there is a world of difference between a car being driven hard compared to one being abused and having the crap beat out of it.

Sorry I can’t relate to your build quality issues, I bought my car new with 5 miles on it and while it's not perfect it doesn’t leak, squeak or rattle. I drive my car hard but I am also OCD with maintaining it and in all fairness I haven’t modified it yet. But when I do, I will be ready for the potential consequences that modifying it may bring.

And yes I haven’t forgotten about the supercharger TSB in regards to the isolator (BTW it wasn’t a recall). But when they finally acknowledged the problem, they not only offered a free replacement supercharger, but they increased the warranty on the supercharger and related parts to 120K miles or 10 years.

You’re right, Cadillac’s attitude sucks, but let’s be honest Lexus isn’t much better handling problems based on a lot of the posts on this forum. Lexus seems to do their fair share of blowing off customer complaints when they can just as other manufacturers do.

And the GM ignition switch recall has nothing to do with the V’s, it’s like bringing up the Toyota accelerator recall of years ago and associating it with the RC F, one has nothing to do with the other.

No brand is prefect, and I can truly respect the fact you’re soured towards Cadillac and GM in general. But just because your CTS-V was a POS doesn’t mean they all are.

Enjoy your RC F it’s a beautiful car, and I mean that sincerely.
Old 04-04-16, 01:03 PM
PMan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrRick
what has happened in the last few months? you were one of the RC-F's biggest defenders and your last few posts make it seem that you are somewhat put-off by it, now. apologies if i'm misreading the situation...
I'm going to guess it has to do with the poor resale value on the RC F. 13 months ago means he is one of the early adopters, thus he has taken a much larger hit from deprecation than someone who got an RC F 2-3 months ago with all the crazy discounts.
Old 04-04-16, 02:31 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
Newness worn off? Nah, it's a good car. I still think the fuel pump issue, although very annoying to some, is completely blown out of proportion and now everyone hears "it". . . No issues with the tranny when you don't drive it in standard mode like s granny.

Love the looks and the concept. Solid daily driver, especially for day trips in the couple hundred miles range. That said, too much of a loss in value. Car is virtually unmarketable in used condition and I don't keep cars long. There are just so many good options out there right now. This car is a bit behind the curve in its present form. I do think it is a great buy at current prices. Unbelievable actually.
Old 04-04-16, 02:35 PM
crazymikie
Driver

Thanks! I do love the RC-F. The interior is leagues nicer than anything else I've owned. I loved my IS-F and this is even better.

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree there is no excuse, but there is a world of difference between a car being driven hard compared to one being abused and having the crap beat out of it.

Sorry I can’t relate to your build quality issues, I bought my car new with 5 miles on it and while it's not perfect it doesn’t leak, squeak or rattle. I drive my car hard but I am also OCD with maintaining it and in all fairness I haven’t modified it yet. But when I do, I will be ready for the potential consequences that modifying it may bring.

And yes I haven’t forgotten about the supercharger TSB in regards to the isolator (BTW it wasn’t a recall). But when they finally acknowledged the problem, they not only offered a free replacement supercharger, but they increased the warranty on the supercharger and related parts to 120K miles or 10 years.

You’re right, Cadillac’s attitude sucks, but let’s be honest Lexus isn’t much better handling problems based on a lot of the posts on this forum. Lexus seems to do their fair share of blowing off customer complaints when they can just as other manufacturers do.

And the GM ignition switch recall has nothing to do with the V’s, it’s like bringing up the Toyota accelerator recall of years ago and associating it with the RC F, one has nothing to do with the other.

No brand is prefect, and I can truly respect the fact you’re soured towards Cadillac and GM in general. But just because your CTS-V was a POS doesn’t mean they all are.

Enjoy your RC F it’s a beautiful car, and I mean that sincerely.
Old 04-04-16, 11:19 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I feel your lost.

Try it with a MB SLK55 AMG or worse with a MB SL63 AMG. I tried to trade my old MB SLK55 AMG in when I bought my RC-F at a major SoCal Lexus dealer, but I was told it will only fetch a very small dismal amount (even try to sell private party) and if I don't have to sell it, just keep it for now and enjoy BOTH cars. So I am keeping BOTH cars for now. Now spring is in the air and convertibles are out........so I may get a better price selling the MB SLK55 AMG outside of California where the MB SLK55 AMG is not so "common place". I sold my old MB SLK280 a few years ago outside of California for top dollar just because it was "rare" in the area and it was low mileage in excellent condition.

That is precisely why I did not buy my RC-F back in November 2014 when it first hit the showrooms. I was very tempted, but had to hold myself back. Similarly for my MB SLK55 AMG, I waited for an excellent deal some years ago.

Sure if I had waited for a few more months, I could have saved maybe a few more grand, but at the time the RC-F I bought was "acceptable" to me.

I guess it is a hard lesson to realize that most of these "new modern" cars are money pits with the exception of some of the rare exotics in high demand that one can quickly flip for a profit. Or some of the rare "classics" that actually go up in value with time (again this is dependent on at what price point one bought the "classic" for). But one would not want a "classic" to be a daily driver, so it will be a "garage queen" to "preserve it". My idea of enjoying a car is to drive it, not to just look at it.

Sorry that you feel bad about your RC-F.

Newness worn off? Nah, it's a good car. I still think the fuel pump issue, although very annoying to some, is completely blown out of proportion and now everyone hears "it". . . No issues with the tranny when you don't drive it in standard mode like s granny.

Love the looks and the concept. Solid daily driver, especially for day trips in the couple hundred miles range. That said, too much of a loss in value. Car is virtually unmarketable in used condition and I don't keep cars long. There are just so many good options out there right now. This car is a bit behind the curve in its present form. I do think it is a great buy at current prices. Unbelievable actually.
Old 04-05-16, 05:05 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks! I do love the RC-F. The interior is leagues nicer than anything else I've owned. I loved my IS-F and this is even better.
I agree, the interior is very nice..
Old 04-05-16, 08:40 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I feel your lost.

Try it with a MB SLK55 AMG or worse with a MB SL63 AMG. I tried to trade my old MB SLK55 AMG in when I bought my RC-F at a major SoCal Lexus dealer, but I was told it will only fetch a very small dismal amount (even try to sell private party) and if I don't have to sell it, just keep it for now and enjoy BOTH cars. So I am keeping BOTH cars for now. Now spring is in the air and convertibles are out........so I may get a better price selling the MB SLK55 AMG outside of California where the MB SLK55 AMG is not so "common place". I sold my old MB SLK280 a few years ago outside of California for top dollar just because it was "rare" in the area and it was low mileage in excellent condition.

That is precisely why I did not buy my RC-F back in November 2014 when it first hit the showrooms. I was very tempted, but had to hold myself back. Similarly for my MB SLK55 AMG, I waited for an excellent deal some years ago.

Sure if I had waited for a few more months, I could have saved maybe a few more grand, but at the time the RC-F I bought was "acceptable" to me.

I guess it is a hard lesson to realize that most of these "new modern" cars are money pits with the exception of some of the rare exotics in high demand that one can quickly flip for a profit. Or some of the rare "classics" that actually go up in value with time (again this is dependent on at what price point one bought the "classic" for). But one would not want a "classic" to be a daily driver, so it will be a "garage queen" to "preserve it". My idea of enjoying a car is to drive it, not to just look at it.

Sorry that you feel bad about your RC-F.
Lol, I could do better selling a 2013 SLK AMG than I could getting someone to purchase my 2015 RCF. . . . perhaps get mid to low $ 50s for the 2013 SLK AMG that had a base price of $70k.

I doubt I could get anyone to purchase my 2015 RC F with 24,000 miles for $ 55k. I would be lucky if someone paid $ 50k for it. One could probably get more for a 2013 M3.

That said, it is all good. I did a short a term lease. I put a lot of unexpected miles on the car as I had large defense contractor case go haywire last year that literally required me to drive 200 mile round trips 2 to 3 times a week for several months. The $ .55 a mile reimbursement rate completely off sets my $ 25 a mile overage with Lexus.

I am just writing a check for the mileage, walking away and THANK GOD for the short term lease as I am actually coming out WAY ahead of where I would have been OUT OF POCKET WISE had I purchased the RC F.

Decent unmolested 911s and Cayennes are holding their values well. If you want a garage queen for the weekends, purchase a nice 360 or even a 355. Those are a blast and you will likely be able to sell them for more than you paid for them. Same with a 993 and I bet than the 997.1s stay at the same price point or may even get a light nudge up over the next year or two.
Old 04-05-16, 08:45 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Lol, I could do better selling a 2013 SLK AMG than I could getting someone to purchase my 2015 RCF. . . . perhaps get mid to low $ 50s for the 2013 SLK AMG that had a base price of $70k.

I doubt I could get anyone to purchase my 2015 RC F with 24,000 miles for $ 55k. I would be lucky if someone paid $ 50k for it. One could probably get more for a 2013 M3.

That said, it is all good. I did a short a term lease. I put a lot of unexpected miles on the car as I had large defense contractor case go haywire last year that literally required me to drive 200 mile round trips 2 to 3 times a week for several months. The $ .55 a mile reimbursement rate completely off sets my $ 25 a mile overage with Lexus.

I am just writing a check for the mileage, walking away and THANK GOD for the short term lease as I am actually coming out WAY ahead of where I would have been OUT OF POCKET WISE had I purchased the RC F.

Decent unmolested 911s and Cayennes are holding their values well. If you want a garage queen for the weekends, purchase a nice 360 or even a 355. Those are a blast and you will likely be able to sell them for more than you paid for them. Same with a 993 and I bet than the 997.1s stay at the same price point or may even get a light nudge up over the next year or two.
Was talking to a porsche sales rep the other day, and a trade in RCF for macan, was $49k non carbon perf, with 7500 miles.This what was holding me back ,when I had the chance to pick up a F with a huge discount
Old 04-05-16, 09:37 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Was talking to a porsche sales rep the other day, and a trade in RCF for macan, was $49k non carbon perf, with 7500 miles.This what was holding me back ,when I had the chance to pick up a F with a huge discount
life is short. any car will depreciate off the lot. that Macan is not immune either, prob depreciate 20% you trade it in right after buying

Quick Reply: Lexus is learning about supply and demand...but GSF :/