RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

carbon fiber wraps

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 12:09 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Oh wow, the outside carbon looks good too..

-Josh
You've seen it in person Josh. You literally cant tell in person its not the real carbon fiber package.
Old 04-02-16, 03:40 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many rolls did you need to get all that done?
Old 04-02-16, 05:44 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it isn't real no deal.
Old 04-02-16, 07:54 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Part of the reason I opted not to get the real carbon fiber package was because I wanted a sunroof. I have my sunroof and can now still have the carbon look, I'm cool with that.
Old 02-04-17, 12:11 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
Here are some pictures of all the stuff I wrapped with 5d Carbon. I take this thing through the car wash, rain, sun, etc and it is still perfect. Waxes fine also. I realize some of you want the real thing and pay big money for it and I respect that. But for a roll that looks just fine to me for 20 bucks it frees up money to spend on other things I did to the car. Here are the pictures:

This looks unbelievable. I just ordered some the other day, this looks so similiar to the real stuff. I can't believe how inexpensive you can buy it for too.
Old 02-04-17, 02:18 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Would love to see a DIY for the interior piece
Old 02-04-17, 02:54 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

TO me the Pics look just as good as the Real stuff, can't believe anybody would want to pay Full price just to say it's REAL CF (but then again it's all about POM, Piece of Mind) MOST other people could CARE LESS & Couldn't tell the difference unless you told them! Lol
Old 02-04-17, 06:53 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
TO me the Pics look just as good as the Real stuff, can't believe anybody would want to pay Full price just to say it's REAL CF (but then again it's all about POM, Piece of Mind) MOST other people could CARE LESS & Couldn't tell the difference unless you told them! Lol
That's true. Most people wouldn't know the difference. Most people also wouldn't know what the real carbon fiber parts cost. But when you want to cut every pound of weight from your ride, it can't be beat. The carbon fiber itself doesn't cost much at all. A lot of the cost comes from the tools needed to make a finished product, the time involved with laying up the plies and the demand for the finished product. The company I'm contracting at builds jets out of carbon fiber. I would certainly not buy carbon fiber parts just to say I have carbon fiber parts. I would if I wanted to shed weight bad enough, but I'm not spending 5 figures on a hood just to save a few pounds.

With that said, I'm seriously considering picking up enough of this wrap to do my hood, roof and spoiler as a DIY project during my next lapse between contracts. Not to pretend like I have real carbon fiber. But more as something to do that will also add some more uniqueness to my ride. It appears I can get enough to do all 3 for under $250 through Amazon (under $100 if I use the 5d). If I mess it up I can order more.

Last edited by Davew77; 02-04-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-04-17, 07:02 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
ROK strikes again.

I did the spoiler last month
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ml#post9713608

Last edited by lexusnutt; 02-04-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-04-17, 07:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks amazing.

Can you post the exact item you ordered on Amazon for this project?

Also did you add any final touches/sprays to the vinyl wrap?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Davew77
That's true. Most people wouldn't know the difference. Most people also wouldn't know what the real carbon fiber parts cost. But when you want to cut every pound of weight from your ride, it can't be beat. The carbon fiber itself doesn't cost much at all. A lot of the cost comes from the tools needed to make a finished product, the time involved with laying up the plies and the demand for the finished product. The company I'm contracting at builds jets out of carbon fiber. I would certainly not buy carbon fiber parts just to say I have carbon fiber parts. I would if I wanted to shed weight bad enough, but I'm not spending 5 figures on a hood just to save a few pounds.

With that said, I'm seriously considering picking up enough of this wrap to do my hood, roof and spoiler as a DIY project during my next lapse between contracts. Not to pretend like I have real carbon fiber. But more as something to do that will also add some more uniqueness to my ride. It appears I can get enough to do all 3 for under $250 through Amazon (under $100 if I use the 5d). If I mess it up I can order more.
Old 02-04-17, 08:56 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Looks amazing.

Thanks.
I think you're quoting the wrong person. I haven't done anything yet.
Old 02-05-17, 09:22 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Looks amazing.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
Here are some pictures of all the stuff I wrapped with 5d Carbon. I take this thing through the car wash, rain, sun, etc and it is still perfect. Waxes fine also. I realize some of you want the real thing and pay big money for it and I respect that. But for a roll that looks just fine to me for 20 bucks it frees up money to spend on other things I did to the car. Here are the pictures:

Old 02-05-17, 09:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

OK. My bad.

I've reposted it. Thanks

Originally Posted by Davew77
I think you're quoting the wrong person. I haven't done anything yet.
Old 02-05-17, 06:14 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

After a lot of reading, I've decided to stick with 3M 1080 CF12 (no pun intended). It's a little pricy, but I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for. Some cheaper brands look better in certain conditions, but a lot worse in others. Like cold weather, rain, large areas vs. small areas, etc... Some don't adhere too well, others easily tear, the list goes on. The 3M has excellent ratings, and I've worked with a lot of 3M products in my life. 3M has always had top notch quality.

If I found the correct 5D vinyl shown off in this thread, it's one of those brands that doesn't look good in cold weather and looks fake when applied to large areas like a hood. It's better suited for small things and indoor use. Correct me if I'm wrong... I don't want to spread lies!

I'm just sharing my $.02.

Edit: Avery SW900 is another good alternative from what I read. The price is on par with 3M.

Last edited by Davew77; 02-05-17 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-07-17, 08:02 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Vivid vinyl high gloss tech art is what I wrapped my hood with. Nice material. Some what self healing. Easy to apply. Matches oem cf the best imo. I purchased 5 different cf vinyl before I decided on this.
IMO the 3M stuff doesn't match right. It's not high gloss like the oem finish. That's the hardest thing to match is the gloss finish.
The following users liked this post:
raerae1616 (02-07-17)

Quick Reply: carbon fiber wraps