RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

hood scoop costmetic or functional

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 04:53 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
The hood scoop is open, barely, to the engine for functional or appearance purposes? What your opinion? Hot air does come out of it a bit after i park the car, but does it do any benefit for the performance while driving is the question. Compared to the large openings for the oil and transmission cooler, the opening on the hood is dismal. Wished Lexus would made it into an actual air intake
It is not an intake: it's meant to be a vent. Despite the small hole in the vent insert, I am sure at high speeds there is plenty of air escaping from the vent.
Old 04-16-16, 06:23 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
It is not an intake: it's meant to be a vent. Despite the small hole in the vent insert, I am sure at high speeds there is plenty of air escaping from the vent.
Agreed. The hole is to vent hot gas. Which should escape readily out of that hole. Sure the whole system is not relying on that vent but I imagine it helps a bit.
Old 04-16-16, 06:47 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I know it's not an intake. Never said it was. I WISH Lexus made it into a real intake.
Old 04-16-16, 10:02 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The hole is for water to drain out off it has nothing to do with heat as it's less then an inch big. Again I pulled mind a year and 10k miles ago it has about 6 plastic clips to do it, super easy no tools needed.
Old 05-06-16, 06:58 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

So I was looking at the RCF hood from the front and I really appreciate the hood vent from the aesthetic side. I think it really breaks up the monotony of the long hood. I prefer w/ the hood vent vs. no hood vent like in the GSF. Just my two cents and a pic for reference:

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 05-06-16 at 10:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ne1tHeRe:
1wacko (11-13-20), EP101 (05-13-21)
Old 05-06-16, 09:12 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Image

Old 04-27-19, 04:51 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just curious to see how many F owners removed the plastic piece under the hood vent and if it has caused any long-term damage as a result (rain, leaves, etc.)...
Old 04-27-19, 08:27 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

I take my plastic cover off in summer. It almost never rains here in Summer. I run it open. I wash my car and some water gets in but I don't spray at the vent and wipe it dry under the hood when I am done. It gets in the 100's in my area of California so I think the full vent is a good thing.

When your washing it you can just put a towel over the vent to keep water out.

Then in Winter, I put the plastic piece back on because it is cool and I will drive my car in the rain.

It takes maybe 5 minutes to pop the clips out and remove it.

Last edited by CAHWY128; 04-27-19 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 08:56 AM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
They wouldn't waste time and money with it if it wasn't functional. I assume air flow in and out.
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Need I show you the list of Toyotas (not to mention other brands) with non-functional hood scoops? They waste the time and money on it all the time, haha.

Not saying the RC-F one is non-functional, but well... they do it.

Jeff
Like the Lexus IS-F where the side vents were non-functional (unlike the RC-F).
Old 04-27-19, 09:21 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I see steam rising from the heat extractor through the windshield every time I wash it. This engine sure generates a lot of heat.
Old 11-12-20, 07:15 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

Would it be no different than driving the car in the rain.. Water is still getting into the engine bay, from the front, and bottom, right? I can't see opening the piece would cause damage because water is still coming in from other areas. But that's my take on it. Plus if you are moving in the rain more than likely the rain is going up and over rather than straight down if you were stopped. My STi has a giant hood scoop open all the time and I'm sure is a huge funnel when it comes to rain and snow..lol.

-Nigel
Old 11-21-20, 10:27 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

I just removed mine and I don't like the look of it when you lift the hood. Something just looks unfinished. I bought a used cover piece on ebay for 30 bucks and will be cutting out the inner part that is recessed. We'll see if it looks better when I get it and take pictures of what I want to do but I was just planning on cutting this part out, but leaving frame. So when you lift the hood you don't see that gaping hole where the firewall cover then just the hood.

-Nigel
Old 11-21-20, 10:53 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,559 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I just removed mine and I don't like the look of it when you lift the hood. Something just looks unfinished. I bought a used cover piece on ebay for 30 bucks and will be cutting out the inner part that is recessed. We'll see if it looks better when I get it and take pictures of what I want to do but I was just planning on cutting this part out, but leaving frame. So when you lift the hood you don't see that gaping hole where the firewall cover then just the hood.

-Nigel
Thats what I did, and did some tests. Temperatures were lower by a few degrees with the vent hole opened up. But, I also have the novel vortex generator.
Old 11-22-20, 08:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
Like the Lexus IS-F where the side vents were non-functional (unlike the RC-F).
I know this an old post... ^^ But this statement is posted with NO FACTS.

ok carry on

Joe Z

The following users liked this post:
DavidL (11-23-20)
Old 05-09-21, 08:12 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821

-Nigel
Nigel, did you follow through with cutting up the plastic like you sketched?

Summer is coming and I wanna remove the vent to get extra engine cooling but don't know how. Can someone tell me? Thanks.

Quick Reply: hood scoop costmetic or functional