RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Encourage me to keep my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 09:06 AM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have very little advice to give but reading this thread made me feel better about my problem of getting bored and trading in cars way too often.
Old 04-08-16, 09:23 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
1. Payment is okay, I had a large downpayment.
2. The RC F was the second new car I bought, and I still have the first one (my grandparents are driving it). I normally buy pre-owned.
3. I love the RC F and driving it actually relieves stress. I drive a lot and I find that after a bad day, sitting in the driver seat and pressing the gas pedal makes me feel better.
4. I was going to buy a IS 250.
Sorry I misread your original post, I thought you mentioned an IS F. My mistake.

After reading #3 above you obviously like the car and do enjoy driving it. So if your main reason for wanting to get rid of it is because you're afraid of the possible depreciation hit you will take, when and if you decide to sell or trade it, then I think you're making a mistake. You're taking away your enjoyment of the RC F by worrying about things that may never even become a reality.

IMO if you're comfortable with payment as you said, I think you need to drive it more. I bet this will make you feel better and who knows, maybe the more you drive it the more you will become attached to it and want to keep it a while.
Old 04-08-16, 10:42 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by JT4
^^ I agree with you, I lease some of my cars because it works for me. But just get ready for the "lease haters" to jump on here and give you all the reasons why leasing sucks..
Yeah, I'm all for financing but there was no way I was going to finance a brand new model when I was able to negotiate 15% off sticker. Thats just asking to get slammed in the future. So I decided leasing was the safer bet and this way I will be able to reevaluate my position, and the RCF market, in 3 years.

And to the OP...I understand depreciation is your biggest worry, but don't you think jumping to an immediate decision is a bit rash? I agree that the value has fallen drastically over the last 6-7 months, but I would think this will slow down (as lexus slows production) and that the value will not continue to fall like this over the next 2-3 years. And by that time you won't have to take such a large financial loss. However if $ isnt an issue, then ignore these thoughts.
Old 04-08-16, 10:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Your diseases is better than mine.

I am on car #53
bike #11

I buy things I like, I get tired, I get new one.

I used to that with women. Stopped it. Now I do it with cars/bikes only

At least I don't do drugs, or smoke, or drink... (what I tell to justify myself)

I think if I did hookers and blow, my addiction would be cheaper...

I have done all things to cure my addiction. Forced myself to lease a Lexus CT, figuring I wouldn't get out of a lease. Cash purchases, finances. I need to go see a professional..nothing works....
WOW I'm on car #13, but I bought my first car in 1957

I've modified them all (except an RX7 that I hated, so I had and have $$ in them. I've had my current ISF for close to eight years now

No plans to give it up!

Note - Doesn't include my motorcycles (4) or my trucks (4) or cars I've bought for my wife, son-in-law or grandchildren.

Lou
Old 04-08-16, 04:33 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I love my RC F. But I am turned away from the RC F now... primarily worried about resale value.
This is a rather bizarre statement. If I truly enjoyed the car I wouldn't worry about its resale value. And if resale value was in the back of my mind it would rather motivate me to keep the car longer than sell it now and realize potentially the highest loss. The longer you keep the car the ratio of received utility to lost value grows in you favor.
Old 04-08-16, 05:06 PM
DzNutz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Olasek
This is a rather bizarre statement. If I truly enjoyed the car I wouldn't worry about its resale value. And if resale value was in the back of my mind it would rather motivate me to keep the car longer than sell it now and realize potentially the highest loss. The longer you keep the car the ratio of received utility to lost value grows in you favor.
I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 04-08-16, 06:02 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Olasek
Well, I actually won't be losing (that much) money now. I can (more than likely) pickup a brand new 2016 Lexus IS 200t F-Sport for a pretty good price. Or I could spend a little more for the IS 350 F Sport. But, if I get rid of my RC F, I'll get something more fuel efficient. By the way, I paid $58,085 for my RC F (not counting taxes and such) and they will give me $55K on the trade.

But, I am inclined to keep my RC F, because as others have said, I won't be happy in an IS.

Last edited by brandonrcf; 04-08-16 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 06:29 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Well, I actually won't be losing (that much) money now. I can (more than likely) pickup a brand new 2016 Lexus IS 200t F-Sport for a pretty good price. Or I could spend a little more for the IS 350 F Sport. But, if I get rid of my RC F, I'll get something more fuel efficient. By the way, I paid $58,085 for my RC F (not counting taxes and such) and they will give me $55K on the trade.

But, I am inclined to keep my RC F, because as others have said, I won't be happy in an IS.
At the end of the day it's still just a car enjoy it, I beated myself over it for a while and I just got the my 16 rcf and I'm enjoying it, life is fragile enjoy whatever you want to get! lost a family member to cancer & put many things into perspective, start enjoying

Last edited by MGB1120; 04-08-16 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 06:52 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Agree, I wouldn't get a IS.

Many of us have this addiction. Few of us are wiling to admit it publicly
I've heard that's called the FIRST STEP Admitting you have a Problem
Old 04-08-16, 06:54 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I've heard that's called the FIRST STEP Admitting you have a Problem
Haha better to have a car addiction then anything else!
Old 04-08-16, 07:03 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

If you got it for 58k i don't know why you're freaking out about losing a lot of $$$, i wouldn't think it's going to drop much more than mid 50's unless you keep beating the hell out of it (you got a Great deal, think of the guys that paid in the 70's). But, with only 800 miles & having to already paint/repair
parts of it doesn't sound like you're taking very good care of it. Either way, it doesn't sound like you're going to like Any car for very long! jmo
Old 04-08-16, 07:10 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
If you got it for 58k i don't know why you're freaking out about losing a lot of $$$, i wouldn't think it's going to drop much more than mid 50's unless you keep beating the hell out of it (you got a Great deal, think of the guys that paid in the 70's). But, with only 800 miles & having to already paint/repair
parts of it doesn't sound like you're taking very good care of it. Either way, it doesn't sound like you're going to like Any car for very long! jmo
Some RC Fs are selling for high 40s. I do drive a lot, so that is another consideration.

I did not cause the damage. It was discovered after bringing it home from the dealership, and I've had to drive to and from the dealer multiple times - a 150 mile drive each way. Hence why I'm at 800 miles.
Old 04-08-16, 07:16 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Some RC Fs are selling for high 40s. I do drive a lot, so that is another consideration.

I did not cause the damage. It was discovered after bringing it home from the dealership, and I've had to drive to and from the dealer multiple times - a 150 mile drive each way. Hence why I'm at 800 miles.
Oh, i DO know that feeling my dealership is 90+ miles from me SUX, luckily i haven't had to go back yet for any issues. GL with whatever you decide to go with
Old 04-09-16, 02:10 AM
JaponesV8
Driver

Amazing how much the RCF has plummeted in such a short period of time. $10,000 is nothing compared to some folks.

There's one locally they can't get rid of for $55,000 and 10k miles.

That being said, I'm sure you earn well over $100,000 a year, so what's a few grand to drive a car you love?
Old 04-09-16, 05:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ba2sy
I guess it's a loss if you're thinking/planning on selling it in the near future. But if you kept it, there's no loss because you still have it and enjoy it as you please modding/tracking/speeding/car shows/meets/whatever there is to do with the RCF or any car in general.
+1

OP, I believe you've had the F for just about 1 month. Summer is around the corner and the best days are ahead to really enjoy this car.

Quick Reply: Encourage me to keep my car?