RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

3ISF to RC F...few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16 | 10:28 PM
nslac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't mean to hijack OP's post....

I am also considering switching from 2015 IS350 Fsport (12,000KM / 7400 miles on it) to 2016 RCF. Booked to see the dealer in 2 weeks so want to prepared once I get there.....

Had couple of questions which I am hoping you guys can clarify:

1. In Australia we get a model called RCF Carbon which includes Carbon bonnet, roof, spoiler etc. I checked out lexus.com and noticed you guys get a similar option. I am curious what's the finishing on the carbon like and how durable is it? E.g. Is the carbon bonnet susceptible to stone clips?

2. Even though RCF interior looks similar to 3IS, is the seating position same / similar e.g. Does the driver sit lower?

3. I know we might be comparing apples and oranges here but how potent is the V8 compared to V6?. I know there is a difference of 118KW across the 2 platforms but what is the difference truly like ?

4. Are there any notifiable blind spots on the RCF? Is it hard to judge front end of the vehicle?

5. Is RCF Infotainment system identical to 3IS ? I have Bypass module fitted to the 3IS so planning to move that across to RCF if possible.

6. How good are the brakes on the RCF? Is it susceptible to lot of brake dusts ? My Fsport is notorious when it comes to it.

7. Is the ML sound system identical to 3IS?

8. If sure if anyone had the opportunity to drive the current model AMG C63S but with aftermarket exhaust on the RCF, will it possible to replicate similar exhaust tone to the AMG (It's hard to describe the exhaust note and the online videos don't do justice but it sounds like a monster).

RCF is priced at around $115K+ USD ($150K+ AUD) so want to 110% sure before I make the move.
Old 07-11-16 | 11:25 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mate,

Fellow Aussie here, glad to answer some of your questions.

Originally Posted by nslac
1. In Australia we get a model called RCF Carbon which includes Carbon bonnet, roof, spoiler etc. I checked out lexus.com and noticed you guys get a similar option. I am curious what's the finishing on the carbon like and how durable is it? E.g. Is the carbon bonnet susceptible to stone clips?

I don't have the carbon edition. IMHO it's not worth it for some carbon fibre, since all Aussie RCFs get the TVD and premium sound, so you're just shelling out for the carbon fibre bits. But if you like it then go for it!

2. Even though RCF interior looks similar to 3IS, is the seating position same / similar e.g. Does the driver sit lower?

Yes, you do. The RCF itself is lower, and you definitely sit lower. However, I feel the seating position could be even lower.

3. I know we might be comparing apples and oranges here but how potent is the V8 compared to V6?. I know there is a difference of 118KW across the 2 platforms but what is the difference truly like ?

They are 2 very different engines. I drove the RC350 and RCF a lot before making the plunge. In day-to-day driving, you won't feel much difference. In fact, you could even say the RC350 feels more engaging in normal street speeds because you can wring out the engine. It has a lot of piped in engine noise to make it sound better than it really is.

However, the 2UR-GSE V8 in the RCF is another kettle of fish. It has a lot more torque, and it will sing at high revs. It pulls a lot harder. On the track, there is no contest, the RCF will leave the RC350 for dead (as it should, it's twice the price here in Australia!)

4. Are there any notifiable blind spots on the RCF? Is it hard to judge front end of the vehicle?

The RCF is quite a long car, being a sports coupe. It has a long nose. You need to get used to this in the first few weeks of owning the car. But once you do, it's not an issue. However, rear and 3/4 rear visibility is not good due to the thick pillars and smaller rear window. You get used to it, but it's definitely no SUV.

5. Is RCF Infotainment system identical to 3IS ? I have Bypass module fitted to the 3IS so planning to move that across to RCF if possible.

I believe so, in Australia we get the premium 17-speaker Mark Levinson sound. Double check with the dealer on this.

6. How good are the brakes on the RCF? Is it susceptible to lot of brake dusts ? My Fsport is notorious when it comes to it.

Braking performance is outstanding, but yes, it will squeal and give you tons of brake dust. This is a performance car. Aftermarket solutions might help remedy this.

7. Is the ML sound system identical to 3IS?

If it's the 17-speaker 835W one, then it should be identical.

8. If sure if anyone had the opportunity to drive the current model AMG C63S but with aftermarket exhaust on the RCF, will it possible to replicate similar exhaust tone to the AMG (It's hard to describe the exhaust note and the online videos don't do justice but it sounds like a monster).

In stock form, the RCF is very, very quiet. It's a luxury car. I have the JoeZ exhaust on mine. It has become an absolute animal. You won't be disappointed, the engine note is one of the great things about the RCF. There are many aftermarket exhausts to choose from. If you want one that sounds absolutely manic, try the Meisterschaft exhaust with the mid-pipe. It was a bit too much for me, so I went with the JoeZ, I'm super satisfied with my purchase.
If you are up in Brisbane, hit me up and I'll bring you for a ride before you make this significant investment. Luxury cars are not cheap in Australia, we pay a lot to live in this awesome country of ours, but the RCF is definitely a sensible choice in terms of running costs and even the initial purchase price is lower.

Last edited by AussieISF; 07-11-16 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-12-16 | 06:47 AM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by AussieISF
Hi mate,

Fellow Aussie here, glad to answer some of your questions.

If you are up in Brisbane, hit me up and I'll bring you for a ride before you make this significant investment. Luxury cars are not cheap in Australia, we pay a lot to live in this awesome country of ours, but the RCF is definitely a sensible choice in terms of running costs and even the initial purchase price is lower.
Thanks for taking the time to respond mate! much appreciated.

I would have definitely taken up on your offer but unfortunately I am down in Sydney.

The dealer quoted $144k for RCF with enhancement pack (without any negotiation). Did an online quote for RCF Carbon and it was something close to $160k with all options. I still need to talk to my contact at Sydney Lexus to see what the bottom price is going to be.

I am burning I should have settled for RCF from the beginning but went with 350 Fsport instead. Have spent bit of coin on it already so I am kicking myself for it

What are you thoughts on Mica Lava (Orange) paint job?

Did you get the Joe Z exhaust locally or from the states? Is that diff back or cat back? Does it suffer from any drone?

My only concern is picking up a 2016 model and then next year new model gets released with added new goodies (I know you can't stay on top of these things).

I am not sure about QLD but in NSW, Lexus is still pretty rare when compared against audis, mercs and beemas. What sort of reaction do you get with your RCF, do people know what it is?
Old 07-12-16 | 06:47 AM
nslac
Rookie

Oh BTW, sweet ride
Old 07-12-16 | 07:50 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer quoted $144k for RCF with enhancement pack (without any negotiation). Did an online quote for RCF Carbon and it was something close to $160k with all options. I still need to talk to my contact at Sydney Lexus to see what the bottom price is going to be.

Bargain hard, be prepared to walk away. You should be able to get at least $20k off RRP. It's not a high-volume car and they are really prepared to deal.

I am burning I should have settled for RCF from the beginning but went with 350 Fsport instead. Have spent bit of coin on it already so I am kicking myself for it

What are you thoughts on Mica Lava (Orange) paint job?

It's definitely eye-catching, I personally wouldn't go for it but I know some people who have and they love it. The orange is very deep but bright, Lexus knows how to do a good paint job.

Did you get the Joe Z exhaust locally or from the states? Is that diff back or cat back? Does it suffer from any drone?

I bought it online and it got shipped from Canada. It does have some drone at around 2k rpm, but that's to be expected from an aftermarket exhaust. I got used to it, but if you expect a very quiet ride, I recommend you stick to the stock one.

My only concern is picking up a 2016 model and then next year new model gets released with added new goodies (I know you can't stay on top of these things).

I doubt there will be many changes coming for the RCF, mainly cosmetic upgrades or the nav screen might get upgraded. Lexus is too busy with the GSF and then LC500

I am not sure about QLD but in NSW, Lexus is still pretty rare when compared against audis, mercs and beemas. What sort of reaction do you get with your RCF, do people know what it is?

It's very rare. I know only around 2 or 3 other people with RCFs, seeing one on the road is like a unicorn. And yeah you get a LOT of looks and stares, people trying to race. Black is a subtle colour, if you get blue or orange it will be even more eye-catching.

Oh BTW, sweet ride

Thanks! To be honest, coming from an ISF I wasn't too crazy about the RCF when I first got it. Now I can't stop driving it. It's definitely a grower. I love the looks, the sound, the way you can turn on expert mode and then go sideways...it's just such a sexy and fun car for all occasions.