RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New 2015 RC F Discount

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 11:49 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

DougHII knows what's up. Developing a relationship, as opposed to fighting over every single nickel, pays significant dividends in the long run. Do your homework, find out what's fair, and strike a deal that you and the dealer are reasonably satisfied with. When it's time for the next deal, be it a repair, warranty, a sale, etc., you'll have engendered goodwill, and the dealer will be more than happy to extend themselves for you.
Old 07-03-16, 11:54 AM
tahiles
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CodyJames
DougHII knows what's up. Developing a relationship, as opposed to fighting over every single nickel, pays significant dividends in the long run. Do your homework, find out what's fair, and strike a deal that you and the dealer are reasonably satisfied with. When it's time for the next deal, be it a repair, warranty, a sale, etc., you'll have engendered goodwill, and the dealer will be more than happy to extend themselves for you.

EXACTLY....

A price BOTH parties are satisfied with.....

Unless it's something you're never going to buy again or that can't ever break. And that sure ain't cars!
Old 07-03-16, 12:56 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tahiles
If they're not doing well in the last few years like you say....that would be the recession, not the Internet. My example was from 1996. I know they haven't been moving units the way they used to.

But my friends who work at BMW, Nissan & Toyota dealerships are doing fine. They're new car or used car mangers, service department managers or some type of minority owner. They had a bad 2007 ~ 2011 but the owners continued to pay them now and then.

And you can't tell me the service, parts or body shops departments have taken a hit. Cars still require service and parts and people still have wrecks.

A large volume dealership without a body shop only depends on a 1/3 or 1/4 of their income from new car sales. I'm not talking about low volume exotics new or used....

Anyone getting "hit" today is in new car sales. Been that way since around 96. Thank you Internet...

They (Owners) should still be making their money from used cars, service and parts. If they haven't then they're just bad business people. It's not an extremely difficult business model and it's been refined for 80+ years.

Quite often the best paid manager at a dealership is the Used Car Manager. He generates the most income.

BTW..... I agree with you about developing Goodwill with your local dealer. That's saved me some MAJOR money on "discretionary" repairs in the past. That's why I don't hammer them for the last $500 ~ $1000......

We may disagree but I'll never accuse you of being "incorrect" or "apparently not very knowledgeable" so I'd appreciate the same respect.
Not an economy issue. I am in a booming city with a low cost of living. My closet friend is a part owner/purchaser for several high end and exotic used lots. Good cars that he is looking to purchase are now bringing close to retail at auction. One of his lots with only 5 salesmen moved 40 units last week (primarily 2 to 3 year old Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche). Their front end gross is thin as auction prices are high and retail market is competitive. The Mercedes dealership here moves over 200 units per month, but holding front-end gross on most units just ain't happening whether new or used. The high demand low allocation new model stuff like S Coupe, GLS, GLE Coupe and new C Coupe hold front-gross, especially if a used 2016 pops up, but general used and CPOed cars . . . there just is not a lot of profit there.

This started with my comment that salespersons have taken huge pay cuts over the last two years due to internet sales causing razor thin profit margins. Every local dealership I know restructured their pay plans in the last 2 years and the sales staff make about 60% of what they used to make. Some dealerships cut the service side and one local dealership had almost their entire service department walk out as they could not longer make enough to survive. 2 close friends are Porsche and Audi GSMs in another city for family owned dealerships. They and their sales staff's pay got hit so it is not just the Sonics of the industry.

Last edited by DougHII; 07-03-16 at 07:30 PM.