RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Oil Overfill at 10,000 Mile Service- Not Happy

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 08:27 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Need to get one of those screw on funnels...ingenious!
Old 07-22-16, 08:32 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,576 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
What's the part number for the oil filter wrench tool?
[/QUOTE]
There are cheaper ones, but this is the one I got. What wasn't mentioned in the video though, is to make it less messy, unscrew the filter housing about 3 turns or so and line up the ribs on the housing and mount to let most of the oil drain out. This way, there will be no oil spewing out when you take the filter housing completely off.
https://www.amazon.com/Engines-Cartr...0PHZXYKFF8991B

Last edited by JT2MA71; 07-22-16 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-22-16, 10:55 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

There are cheaper ones, but this is the one I got. What wasn't mentioned in the video though, is to make it less messy, unscrew the filter housing about 3 turns or so and line up the ribs on the housing and mount to let most of the oil drain out. This way, there will be no oil spewing out when you take the filter housing completely off.
https://www.amazon.com/Engines-Cartr...0PHZXYKFF8991B[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Was looking at that one too.
Old 07-22-16, 08:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
What's the part number for the oil filter wrench tool?

[/QUOTE]

I ordered online at Amazon.

It is around $17.xx I have used it for about 3+ years and it works well. Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench for Toyota/Lexus
by Assenmacher Specialty Tools
Link: https://amzn.com/B0015PK3AG

The same tool I have can be used on the LX570, RX450H, and CT200H. Don't know about the RC-F bc I have not had to use it. So far the first two oil changes (5k and soon 10k) are included in the initial purchase price.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-22-16 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 07:56 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Same experience. I'm a DIY also, but took advantage of the one free dealer service / oil change, and they overfilled by about 3/4" on the dipstick. I figure that's over a quart. I took some quick pics and called them. They assured me no damage would be done and that the vehicle was under warranty anyway. But here's the kicker - when i took it back in to have them straighten it out they overfilled it again. This they caught before letting it go, and then they finally checked the meter on their bulk oil pump and found out it was not calibrated correctly. So who knows how many Lexi are driving around in my area with too much oil? Unbelievable.
Old 07-27-16, 07:36 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Same experience. I'm a DIY also, but took advantage of the one free dealer service / oil change, and they overfilled by about 3/4" on the dipstick. I figure that's over a quart. I took some quick pics and called them. They assured me no damage would be done and that the vehicle was under warranty anyway. But here's the kicker - when i took it back in to have them straighten it out they overfilled it again. This they caught before letting it go, and then they finally checked the meter on their bulk oil pump and found out it was not calibrated correctly. So who knows how many Lexi are driving around in my area with too much oil? Unbelievable.

WHAT!!!

REGARDLESS of whether or not the dealer's oil pump is calibrated or not, after fill the engine with the correct oil, the tech MUST check oil level by using the dipstick! !!! I realize that we are not dealing with fighter jets here, but the concept is the same. Without check and double checks, this is how mistakes are made.

So the GENERAL NOTION that I HAD CONFIRMED AT AN MB DEALER WHERE I USED TO TAKE MY AMG IN FOR SERVICE IS TRUE........THE LOWEST PAID AND NEWEST AND LEAST EXPERIENCED DUDE AT THE ENTIRE SHOP IS THE ONE MONKEYING AROUND WITH YOUR OIL!!!!!!! At the MB shop, the dude is known as the "OIL SUCKER" because per MB official tech manual, engine oils are sucked out, not drained. Except AMG models needing to be drained via two drain bolts. But....who knows what really happened?

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-27-16 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 09:42 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
WHAT!!!

REGARDLESS of whether or not the dealer's oil pump is calibrated or not, after fill the engine with the correct oil, the tech MUST check oil level by using the dipstick! !!! I realize that we are not dealing with fighter jets here, but the concept is the same. Without check and double checks, this is how mistakes are made.

So the GENERAL NOTION that I HAD CONFIRMED AT AN MB DEALER WHERE I USED TO TAKE MY AMG IN FOR SERVICE IS TRUE........THE LOWEST PAID AND NEWEST AND LEAST EXPERIENCED DUDE AT THE ENTIRE SHOP IS THE ONE MONKEYING AROUND WITH YOUR OIL!!!!!!! At the MB shop, the dude is known as the "OIL SUCKER" because per MB official tech manual, engine oils are sucked out, not drained. Except AMG models needing to be drained via two drain bolts. But....who knows what really happened?
I've found that dealers that use automated pumps tend to rely on them and abdicate their thinking. I had a 4.2L XKR that I brought to the dealer for an oil change, their machine had been set for the newer 5.0L and they didn't bother to check, so they overfilled the engine....they corrected it after I brought it back, but mistakes will always happen sometimes.

How many Lexus customers actually check?
Old 07-30-16, 04:22 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

^^^ Exactly, so that's why so many of us do it ourselves. I'm compulsive about checking fluid levels anyway, and tire pressure.
I'll guess that the "average" Lexus owner doesn't check the oil, or anything else for that matter. Hate to say it but especially women. When I mention to guys I work with, friends, etc. that I do my own they typically are very surprised. Most younger guys I know don't have any interest in this kind of thing, or skill to do it. Sad but true.
Old 07-31-16, 07:28 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Most younger guys I know don't have any interest in this kind of thing, or skill to do it. Sad but true.
When my son was 11 I gave him a nice set of tools and told him he was going to learn how to use them. Started with oil changes. When he turned 16 he bought a 93 Jeep Cherokee and learned about every nut and bolt on that car.

Fast forward to 2013 (he was 23). He got a job with an oil driller and was making a long distance trip from So. Virginia to W. Pennsylvania. 3 hours out, his alternator went out in the middle of BFE (on a Sunday). He hitched a ride to the nearest auto parts store and made it back to his car early evening. He swapped out that alternator in the dark/pouring rain and made it to the drilling site on time. It was his first day and would have lost his job had he not been there.

He's done a lot of stuff in his life to make me proud, but that one was special. Bottom line is younger folks will not take an interest in anything unless their parents show them the way.
Old 11-05-16, 08:06 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Well, I happened to check mine on the RC-F oil level after an oil change at the Lexus dealer!!! This had happened about a couple of months ago, but I just came across this thread and thought I mention it.

It was overfilled by about a full inch above the top max mark on the dip stick. I was in a hurry at the time so I did not check at the dealership when I picked my RC-F up.

I looked at it when I got to where I was going after it sat there for a good some 12 hours and I found it to be an inch overfilled!!!

I called the dealer and asked them if it would be OK to just go to the local Toyota dealership near where I was to get it drained out some. The Lexus dealer which was about a good one and half hours away said that is fine. So I called the local Toyota dealership and they said they will do it, but will have to charge me for it. I told the Toyo dealership what had happened and the RC-F is under original factory warranty anyways. But the Toyo dealership said they don't honor Lexus warranty work. However, they can and will work on Lexus vehicles FOR A CHARGE (of course). I was going to just drain some of the oil out myself, but then I thought I better just go back to the Lexus dealership and let them do it so that if there is anything wrong, it will be on them and not something I had done.

So I went back to the Lexus dealership and they could not believe it. I told them to BELIEVE IT AND I SHOWED THEM AND THEIR TOP MASTER TECHNICIAN CAME OUT AND LOOKED. The oil is very light in color, but DEFINITELY IT IS WAY OVERFILLED. The top master technician had mentioned the person's name who worked on my RC-F and I thought "great!!, I'll bet that person is the LOWEST PAID PERSON IN THE WHOLE SHOP WITH THE LEAST EXPERIENCE!!! As often is the case in most dealerships across the country!!!"

So it is all good now. But I think I will just do the oil change myself from now on. The first two (including this one) were free of charge. It takes me longer to drive to the dealership and then pick up a loaner and then return a day or two later. I can do the oil change myself in about 30 to 45 minutes anyway.

BTW, the Lexus dealer knew the Toyo dealer well and evidently owned by different owners and they hate each other!!!

Originally Posted by ct6978
I've found that dealers that use automated pumps tend to rely on them and abdicate their thinking. I had a 4.2L XKR that I brought to the dealer for an oil change, their machine had been set for the newer 5.0L and they didn't bother to check, so they overfilled the engine....they corrected it after I brought it back, but mistakes will always happen sometimes.

How many Lexus customers actually check?
Old 11-05-16, 04:24 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Well, I happened to check mine on the RC-F oil level after an oil change at the Lexus dealer!!! This had happened about a couple of months ago, but I just came across this thread and thought I mention it.

It was overfilled by about a full inch above the top max mark on the dip stick. I was in a hurry at the time so I did not check at the dealership when I picked my RC-F up.

I looked at it when I got to where I was going after it sat there for a good some 12 hours and I found it to be an inch overfilled!!!

I called the dealer and asked them if it would be OK to just go to the local Toyota dealership near where I was to get it drained out some. The Lexus dealer which was about a good one and half hours away said that is fine. So I called the local Toyota dealership and they said they will do it, but will have to charge me for it. I told the Toyo dealership what had happened and the RC-F is under original factory warranty anyways. But the Toyo dealership said they don't honor Lexus warranty work. However, they can and will work on Lexus vehicles FOR A CHARGE (of course). I was going to just drain some of the oil out myself, but then I thought I better just go back to the Lexus dealership and let them do it so that if there is anything wrong, it will be on them and not something I had done.

So I went back to the Lexus dealership and they could not believe it. I told them to BELIEVE IT AND I SHOWED THEM AND THEIR TOP MASTER TECHNICIAN CAME OUT AND LOOKED. The oil is very light in color, but DEFINITELY IT IS WAY OVERFILLED. The top master technician had mentioned the person's name who worked on my RC-F and I thought "great!!, I'll bet that person is the LOWEST PAID PERSON IN THE WHOLE SHOP WITH THE LEAST EXPERIENCE!!! As often is the case in most dealerships across the country!!!"

So it is all good now. But I think I will just do the oil change myself from now on. The first two (including this one) were free of charge. It takes me longer to drive to the dealership and then pick up a loaner and then return a day or two later. I can do the oil change myself in about 30 to 45 minutes anyway.

BTW, the Lexus dealer knew the Toyo dealer well and evidently owned by different owners and they hate each other!!!
there are so many over fill incidences (including mine) that I think Lexus is at majority fault for supplying the wrong info for the maintenance instruction guidance for the tech. Then the tech relies too much on the computer oil quantity fill that they neglect to check the oil level. Or they are too lazy to drain or suck out the overfill after checking the dipstick and hopes the customer never checks, which most don't.
Old 11-05-16, 08:32 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

It's unbelievable. I am not sure how much overfill would begin to be a problem in terms of high oil pressure or oil impeding movement in the crankcase or something like that but we're not talking low end cars here. It's inexcusable that this seems to be prevalent at many different Lexus dealerships. For myself, I'm very unimpressed with the local dealer and won't go there again if I don't have to.
Old 11-06-16, 10:02 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

An independent third party mechanic told me that it could cause problems with overfill. Something to do with foaming and the cylinders not getting enough oil ?

For mine, I discovered the problem soon after the service so all OK. But still no excuse.

Incidentally, I confirmed it was the lowest paid tech with less than one year experience working at the Lexus dealership! !! So oil change is at their lowest priority.............. They really should institute a policy and procedure where another tech check the oil level and sign off on THAT service AND THEN RELEASE the car to the customer. I realize mistakes happen and no body is perfect. That is why when an orthopedic surgeon in the operating room ready to work on a patient's knee (left) , there is a policy and procedure in place where EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING STOPS and a TIME OUT is called to verify that it is indeed the LEFT KNEE!!! I also realize that the tech working on my RCF is not as life and death situation as the orthopedic surgeon example, but still some effort needed to make sure. I'm sure if the tech or another tech checked the oil level, it is very evident it was overfilled by one inch on the dip stick!!! So either no one checked OR they knew about it and was too lazy to suck out or drain the excess oil!!! I was very upset at the time. The GM came out and apologized. I don't think I will return unless for some warranty work.

Also, I think only a small percentage of customers will check the oil level. I know if it were my wife, she will not check. That's why I always take our vehicles in for service.

It's unbelievable. I am not sure how much overfill would begin to be a problem in terms of high oil pressure or oil impeding movement in the crankcase or something like that but we're not talking low end cars here. It's inexcusable that this seems to be prevalent at many different Lexus dealerships. For myself, I'm very unimpressed with the local dealer and won't go there again if I don't have to.

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-06-16 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-07-16, 05:28 AM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding is that overfill can cause the crank shaft to whip the oil into a foam. This will make it hard to pump out of the crank case, and lead to low oil symptoms. Not good to have occur. I will check my oil this afternoon.

- Dr. Edward Cheung
Old 11-07-16, 06:03 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Ok. Thanks for the confirmation.

Originally Posted by siredward
My understanding is that overfill can cause the crank shaft to whip the oil into a foam. This will make it hard to pump out of the crank case, and lead to low oil symptoms. Not good to have occur. I will check my oil this afternoon.

- Dr. Edward Cheung

Quick Reply: Oil Overfill at 10,000 Mile Service- Not Happy