RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

*sigh* Lexus "quality" well maybe.. Dealer Quality - not so much.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 06:42 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default *sigh* Lexus "quality" well maybe.. Dealer Quality - not so much.

In June I took my RCF in for its 10,000 oil change/service to SANTA MONICA LEXUS: part of the service is to replace the cabin air filter. was on the invoice, was checked off as done. I didn't check before leaving the dealership (shame on me), the next day I was in my glove box and it was obvious no one had moved anything, so I decided to check, sure enough the old filter was still there, black as night and full of leaves and cr@p.

Called the dealer, drove back.. (BTW the dealer is nearly 60 miles from me). They replaced the filter, and since they had been giving me static about the brake LSB they agreed to do it at this point because of their mistake. They ordered the pads, back order took 4 weeks to get.

This past Saturday I went in to have said pads replaced. Pads replaced, drove home everything ok it seemed.

This morning driving to work I heard this shhh shhh shhh shhh shhh sound from the passenger side, clearly a dragging brake. ugh.. pulled over, called Lexus road assist, car taken to the dealer, the clips that hold the pads in place were missing, I am assuming they fell off somewhere because everything was fine Saturday, pads were flopping around in the caliper.

luckily no damage to the caliper or rotor, but g-dammit that's twice from the same dealer.

Obviously I made my discontent known, but I am highly disappointed in Lexus dealer service (at least at this dealer).

Last edited by mjeds; 08-23-16 at 09:19 PM. Reason: oops in the title
Old 08-08-16, 07:51 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Your bad dealer experience isn't rare. For my 1000 mile checkup I caught a guy speeding in the parking lot while sitting in the lounge. Made my observation known and the dealer offered restraunt certificates. Fast forward 5k service, same dealer overfilled oil and neglected to check the dip stick (just followed Lexus system guide), had to take it back and they offered me full detail service for my time. Checked my oil a week later (regret not checking at service bay), it's still overfilled. Took it in and they sucked some oil out.
I lost faith in dealerships
Old 08-09-16, 12:20 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometime they might also take your car joyride.
Old 08-09-16, 07:40 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Some dealerships are good and some are bad. Make sure to fill out the surveys b/c corporate takes note of that. Also, you can place a complaint to corporate as well.

I am always **** about keeping an eye on my RCF and listening for the exhaust so that nobody decides to ever take it for a joyride.
Old 08-09-16, 10:00 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MWIS350
well the service advisor was kind enough to bring my car to me at work so I didn't have to truck back to the dealer to pick it up and lose more time off work.

he dropped the car at my office and took the rental, I didn't get a chance to check on the car until I left work and discovered my dash cam had been disconnected. I have a GPS locator (not enform, aftermarket) that also has a hardwired connection for data logging, when I got home I compared the time stamp on the last video on the camera, which clearly shows the 'test' drive and then the tech quickly pulling over and the camera going blank, to the time stamp in the data logs/gps and the tech did exactly that, 75+ mph down a 30mph side street for several minutes.

I will be talking to the SM this morning.
Old 08-09-16, 12:46 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, my first comment would be, you went 120 miles round trip rather than spending the 10 minutes and installing the cabin air filter yourself? Wow.... You could have demanded they mail it to you and you could have installed it yourself.

As for the rest, it sounds like a poor dealer, or more, a poor tech who probably got yelled at for missing something on your car, and took it out on you the second time.
Old 08-09-16, 01:02 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

That's one reason why I like my Enform. If anyone takes it anywhere not only will I know, but I will have proof that they did. I also have the speed limit on valet mode set to 20 mph. They have absolutely no reason to go over 20 mph unless they are road testing the car (or joyriding).

I've had to leave my car overnight a few times at places other than a dealer as well. Like at my detailer. It's also good to know that none of them have taken the car anywhere.
Old 08-09-16, 01:02 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Swacer
Well, my first comment would be, you went 120 miles round trip rather than spending the 10 minutes and installing the cabin air filter yourself? Wow.... You could have demanded they mail it to you and you could have installed it yourself.

As for the rest, it sounds like a poor dealer, or more, a poor tech who probably got yelled at for missing something on your car, and took it out on you the second time.

They wouldn't send the cabin filter, I asked them too. I also had to go back for the shop foreman to inspect my brakes for the LSB so they could order the parts, the tech apparently need his approval for it, so it wasn't a wasted trip just for a cabin filter, I would not have bothered for just that.

and it was the shop foreman that went for the joy ride yesterday, I had that confirmed by the SA this morning.
Old 08-09-16, 01:12 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 872 Likes on 658 Posts

Another low tech tracking system is built into Lexus Navigation - Route Trace.
Instructions vary by model and year but Route Trace is under Show on Map
or Map Information. Turn on the "bread crumbs" as you leave the car with a
valet park attendant or mechanic. Ideally you will find a handful of red/white
dots behind the restaurant or a few more around a dealership. Even if a
knowledgeable tech know how to clear the display you will instantly realize
that it has been tampered with.
Old 08-09-16, 01:30 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mcomer
Another low tech tracking system is built into Lexus Navigation - Route Trace.
Instructions vary by model and year but Route Trace is under Show on Map
or Map Information. Turn on the "bread crumbs" as you leave the car with a
valet park attendant or mechanic. Ideally you will find a handful of red/white
dots behind the restaurant or a few more around a dealership. Even if a
knowledgeable tech know how to clear the display you will instantly realize
that it has been tampered with.

I have something called Skylink installed in my vehicle. It is a real time GPS tracking system that also records speed and "hard" events. hard events are things like hard acceleration, hard deceleration, hard corning, and impacts, basically anything that causes excessive yaw in the vehicle.

Skylink has a phone app that allows me to see in real time the location of my vehicle, it has a website that allows me to download historical data from the past 90 days.

With Skylinks data logs I am able to tell where the tech drove the car, how fast he was going and if he caused any hard events, and he has no ability to delete those logs. The system works like Lo-Jack, if he knew about it and disconnected it (it is well hidden in the vehicle) it would send it's last know location and an alert to me vis SMS, and repeat a homing signal on it's battery backup for approximately 14 days
Old 08-09-16, 07:26 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Endless Mx-72 pads / RR-Racing

First off, a special thank you to Rafi and Simon for always having my back. Ordered on a Tuesday got my brakes on a Friday.
The MX72 pads by endless are a great street / track pad. They bite a little harder than stock and I'm told they dust less.
Best of all, I saved about a hundred bucks from the stock Brembos.

I used the stock shims and the wear sensors fit like a glove. Install was pretty straight forward.
My stocks had 3mm with almost the wear sensor showing when removed.

Car has 14.5k, hard street driving and one track day.
I am on coils and run -2.8 camber so new rear super sports went on the rear with an oil change

I mention the above due to timing. Personally, I thought I'd get a few more miles but it's all good

Endless pads installed
Pic for attention

Last edited by JB5674; 08-09-16 at 07:30 PM. Reason: please move to solo tread - not sure why it posted here
Old 08-10-16, 11:59 AM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus service departments are not what they once were. Dealerships are selling more vehicles now which means they have to service those vehicles, the increase in volume has negatively affected their quality of work. During my 5k service they didn't fill up the oil to the appropriate level and I had to take it back to them at 6k because the low oil light was coming on when the car was on slight inclines. When the wing got stuck in the up position I had to go back twice because they did not replace all the pushclips in the trunk lid and they dropped a metal screw in the trunk lid which sounded like a pinball every time I would brake and accelerate. They delivered the car to me that day and I immediately opened and closed the trunk and the screw was still in there! They finally got that right on the 3rd attempt. At 10k they curbed both of my driver side wheels, but they had them fixed. At 15K they curbed the front driver-side wheel again! They fixed that too. Now guess what guys... I took my vehicle in to have the fuel pump ECU re-flash performed(which they did not perform) and they curbed my aftermarket wheel on the driver side!!! At every single visit I have told them not to take my car through the wash, which is where I believe this is happening. I'm now dealing with the service director and I made it very clear he needs to buy me a new wheel. It has been 2 weeks now....
Old 08-10-16, 04:05 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
I encouraged my service tech to take it for a spin and I told him to beat on it after he told me how much he liked my car.
Old 08-10-16, 04:15 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

RE: Comments about service centers going down hill

Get used to it. Ironic in that those that complain loudest are some of the ones causing the bad service. Dealer per car profit margins are getting decimated and the result is both a reduction is salesperson pay and service staff pay. Almost the ENTIRE service staff walked out of one of the Lexus dealerships close to me when their compensation structure got slashed. Literally, almost everyone quit and service went to **** immediately due to short staff and new less competent replacements. Even the detailer said screw this and left.

Should be no surprise that the replacements having less experience and willing to work for less or the older guys getting paid less now provide less than stellar service.

So big congrats to those like SSmoked getting cars at huge losses and telling others not to stand for less than below cost, but now complaining about poor service or the byproduct of ever decreasing profit margins. Seriously, what do you expect and then you complain about it? What a joke and interesting how you cannot see the forest for the trees.

Last edited by DougHII; 08-10-16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 06:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

DOUGHII, that's hilarious. You crack me up! Keep it coming

Btw thanks for the compliment. Many, actually every owner besides you, appreciate my negotiation skills

Quick Reply: *sigh* Lexus "quality" well maybe.. Dealer Quality - not so much.