RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake Dust - Testing Armor All Repellent

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 09:08 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Really need to get this...PITA cleaning my wheels b/c the OEM pads generate so much dust. Drives me batty not having clean rims (or car for that matter).
The following users liked this post:
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 01-07-17, 02:55 PM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the stock 10spoke hand polished wheel. Tried the Armor All product and it did not look good. I call customer service and described my situation and he said that he was not surprised and that my money would be refunded (it was).

I gave the unused portion away.
Old 01-07-17, 06:50 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Strange I hear so much bad results from people using this product.
It works awesome for me.
I think the key is vigours shaking, then dusting it very lightly on a clean cool wheel.
Do not apply to a hot wheel.
If you spray just barely more than a light dusting, it runs or hazes on the rim.
Apply lightly then do not touch afterwards at all.
If it gets wet then it's done though.
This summer in Georgia we had a drought scenario and I could literally drive weeks and not get brake dust on the rim.
I would see dust on my white paint near the rockers & fender by the rim where I didn't spray, but the wheels stayed good.
May want to try again.
The following users liked this post:
siredward (01-08-17)
Old 07-10-17, 05:03 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

reviving this old thread to give update on a similar product.
Tried the Sonax one and imo the AA one works slightly better. Plus it's a tad cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Dust - Testing Armor All Repellent-img_3088.jpg  
Old 07-11-17, 02:43 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Agree that the armor all version works very well for me, dramatic difference vs untreated and I can make it much further between washes. Given that it never sees rain, I can stretch that out pretty far by dusting it after each drive. If the car gets wet all bets are off.
Old 07-13-17, 10:31 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a ceramic pro coating on my car and I can go a while before noticeable brake dust but at the end of the week it's always caked in. Cleaning is fairly simple with a brush and all purpose cleaner but will any of these cleaners help even more?
Old 07-13-17, 02:00 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerune
I have a ceramic pro coating on my car and I can go a while before noticeable brake dust but at the end of the week it's always caked in. Cleaning is fairly simple with a brush and all purpose cleaner but will any of these cleaners help even more?
Hi - these are not cleaners. These are coatings to repel and keep the dust from sticking. It's like the ceramic coating on your car. They would not have done your wheels unless you asked. I now have a process for cleaning and protecting them, I've got the time down but it's still a pain and it still needs to be done far more frequently than any other car I have ever owned in my life. It reminds me of the older AMGs and M cars I used to see with the black front wheels from dust.
Old 07-13-17, 05:53 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
Hi - these are not cleaners. These are coatings to repel and keep the dust from sticking. It's like the ceramic coating on your car. They would not have done your wheels unless you asked. I now have a process for cleaning and protecting them, I've got the time down but it's still a pain and it still needs to be done far more frequently than any other car I have ever owned in my life. It reminds me of the older AMGs and M cars I used to see with the black front wheels from dust.
Thanks, wheels were definitely requested and a difference shows and it is easier to clean. Some cleaners were brought up in this thread so I was asking about those. I think brushing gets the job done if we put attention to detail but it takes a bit longer on 20spokes.
Old 07-13-17, 07:11 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by siredward
I have the stock 10spoke hand polished wheel. Tried the Armor All product and it did not look good. I call customer service and described my situation and he said that he was not surprised and that my money would be refunded (it was).

I gave the unused portion away.
^^^^This was my experience also (though not calling customer service), I thought maybe I put too much on the first time so I tried it again & i'm still not a big believer & haven't used it since! Definitely won't buy it again
Old 07-13-17, 09:13 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
^^^^This was my experience also (though not calling customer service), I thought maybe I put too much on the first time so I tried it again & i'm still not a big believer & haven't used it since! Definitely won't buy it again
The amount you spray is very little. I over applied the first few times as well.
If it streaked, you've applied too much.

The product works great if it never gets wet.
I apply after a car wash onto clean, cool, dry rims.
It's an extra step to prevent heavy dust collection for a few days worth of driving. It's not gonna totally keep dust away.
I guess expectation levels are different.
My car is not a DD so it's great for my application.
Old 07-15-17, 06:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ +1 and another tip, do not overspray any tire dressing on the rim or brake dust will stick.