RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF vs M4 Roll Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 07:51 AM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

alright alright let's all just forget this nonsense. Dave, i apologize for being an *** to you earlier as well.

In the end i think the only point we're trying to make on this thread is:

1. RCF is a great car. I love my RCF, I've put over 15k miles on in year 1 and hopefully many other owners also love their F over the M.
-WITH THAT SAID, doesn't mean to say the F doesn't have some faults. for me, it needs an MT option,more torque and a diet for instance and a bit more room in the backseat for my uses. Dave, I don't doubt you that there is definitely greater potential available from this motor. My thoughts are just that there are so few of us out there and because of that, R&D will take a lot of $$, time, investment, effort etc.. for those of us who wish to extract more power closer to the true potential of the car. It's very easy for M owners to get power gains with such a large aftermarket business/support.

2. M's are also great cars, but there is a reason they have such a large following. However, they're not what they used to be. It's easy for BMW to just slap on an FI and underrate numbers because they know they will sell no matter what. Sales figures don't lie. It's another story to engineer one of the last NA V8's in this class.
-I used to love M's and my childhood dream was an e46 (i still love this car) BUT I still think it's going to be a while IMO before any RCF is going to send an M with a few k into it home crying to their mom. I look forward to this day.

3.Let's stop discrediting one another, at the end we're still on the INTERNET. With so few of us with the car on the forum it's important to share our experiences and thoughts with an open mind and equality. Us non-engineer folk need experts to understand and DEBATE the mechanical faults and positives of this car for us to have the best experiences and information at hand.

Anyways, happy Monday.
Old 09-12-16, 09:57 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparker
alright alright let's all just forget this nonsense. Dave, i apologize for being an *** to you earlier as well.

In the end i think the only point we're trying to make on this thread is:

1. RCF is a great car. I love my RCF, I've put over 15k miles on in year 1 and hopefully many other owners also love their F over the M.
-WITH THAT SAID, doesn't mean to say the F doesn't have some faults. for me, it needs an MT option,more torque and a diet for instance and a bit more room in the backseat for my uses. Dave, I don't doubt you that there is definitely greater potential available from this motor. My thoughts are just that there are so few of us out there and because of that, R&D will take a lot of $$, time, investment, effort etc.. for those of us who wish to extract more power closer to the true potential of the car. It's very easy for M owners to get power gains with such a large aftermarket business/support.

2. M's are also great cars, but there is a reason they have such a large following. However, they're not what they used to be. It's easy for BMW to just slap on an FI and underrate numbers because they know they will sell no matter what. Sales figures don't lie. It's another story to engineer one of the last NA V8's in this class.
-I used to love M's and my childhood dream was an e46 (i still love this car) BUT I still think it's going to be a while IMO before any RCF is going to send an M with a few k into it home crying to their mom. I look forward to this day.

3.Let's stop discrediting one another, at the end we're still on the INTERNET. With so few of us with the car on the forum it's important to share our experiences and thoughts with an open mind and equality. Us non-engineer folk need experts to understand and DEBATE the mechanical faults and positives of this car for us to have the best experiences and information at hand.

Anyways, happy Monday.
For sure, the RCF is a great car. I think it is absolutely the best car on the market in this class for its going price. You can pick these things up from the price of a crap Mercedes C class non-AMG coupe. The only car I would consider for less than $100k new, and it would be cutting it close, is the new Mercedes AMG C class coupe. That is a fantastic car, but one should just go ahead and purchase the new 991.2 base model if willing to go just a bit north of $100k. The 991.2 is just in a whole different realm in my opinion based on the complete package.

BMW will, and rightfully so, always have its following. The M3/4 is a niche car for those in the budget performance market that cannot or will not step up to the true high end sports car market. Lexus will never penetrate this market or won't for many years, because frankly it is as much about emblem and status as it is about vehicle worth it capability.

Everything will be FI soon as NA simply cannot compete. The two best NA builders on the market, Porsche and Ferrari, finally threw in the towel. I like be my 458, but the 488 is just a better car and the 991.2 is a tremendous step above the 991.1 acceleration wise.

Perhaps I am getting old, but I just fail to see the utility or need of having a 4.0 versus a 4.3 or 4.4 in the sports coupe market for street application. I am also amazed at where the high end has gone. The 991.2 4S is now a sub 3 second car and the turbo is mid 2s. Not much more room to go here traction wise and there is absolutely no need for this or anything Motrin a public street.

Then comes the Tesla S. Got to play around in Ludicrous mode the other day. That is like an amusement park ride . . . Screw FI or NA. Electric is craaszzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DougHII; 09-12-16 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-12-16, 11:38 AM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^agreed.

I looked at an AMG as well...but they want way too much money for a new C63. I was getting lease quotes for more/as much as an E63, so I walked. For the money i'd rather have the Porsche, which i'm planning on next anyway.911 GTS!
Old 09-13-16, 04:25 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Let's all enjoy the RC-F for what it is. It is the BALANCED overall package that the RC-F does so well. I'm not looking for the fastest or the lightest or most expensive. Just want a well rounded nice looking reliable ride to arrive in style without too much worries. RC-F fits the bill for me. People stop by at stores and gas stations to ask. LEOS stop by to look and ask. Everyday I get compliments. And every time I drive my RC-F I smile ear to ear!!!

I disagree with your statement :

Watch out, Lexus will do it. I believe Lexus already dId it with the LFA. The general public will soon begin to realize that it is not just about the emblem status and can't just hang on to the old glory days. There is a new player in the arena.

Let's all just enjoy the ride!!!!

Originally Posted by DougHII
For sure, the RCF is a great car. I think it is absolutely the best car on the market in this class for its going price. You can pick these things up from the price of a crap Mercedes C class non-AMG coupe. The only car I would consider for less than $100k new, and it would be cutting it close, is the new Mercedes AMG C class coupe. That is a fantastic car, but one should just go ahead and purchase the new 991.2 base model if willing to go just a bit north of $100k. The 991.2 is just in a whole different realm in my opinion based on the complete package.

BMW will, and rightfully so, always have its following. The M3/4 is a niche car for those in the budget performance market that cannot or will not step up to the true high end sports car market. Lexus will never penetrate this market or won't for many years, because frankly it is as much about emblem and status as it is about vehicle worth it capability.

Everything will be FI soon as NA simply cannot compete. The two best NA builders on the market, Porsche and Ferrari, finally threw in the towel. I like be my 458, but the 488 is just a better car and the 991.2 is a tremendous step above the 991.1 acceleration wise.

Perhaps I am getting old, but I just fail to see the utility or need of having a 4.0 versus a 4.3 or 4.4 in the sports coupe market for street application. I am also amazed at where the high end has gone. The 991.2 4S is now a sub 3 second car and the turbo is mid 2s. Not much more room to go here traction wise and there is absolutely no need for this or anything Motrin a public street.

Then comes the Tesla S. Got to play around in Ludicrous mode the other day. That is like an amusement park ride . . . Screw FI or NA. Electric is craaszzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-16, 08:52 PM
nmurray22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer some of these questions. I am the owner of the M4 (Nick) who did this video. There is a lot to love in both cars as I said in the video, in fact many features in the RC-F I would like to see in the German cars.

First I would address some of the criticism; clearly this was just a bit of fun not a professional race, I hope people understand that.

There is no 155 limiter in the M4, for most M4s it is 165 or 170, mine which was an early production model as the limiter at 181 (175MPH on the GPS) I don't know why mine is different to others.

A few of my friends have tuned their M4's and get significant power improvements, you can see a yellow M4 leaving my stock car behind in some videos. I personally would not risk this, BMW build tolerances to the original power.

Personally I love the RC-F as well and if you watch the video I was in no way trying to run it down

Originally Posted by IMCHIA
Actually Nick Murray owns the red M4. He has numerous of other car reviews, mainly reviewing cars of his friends. I actually quite enjoy his humor and his viewpoints.
His friend owns the black RCF, and I believe he is actually on ClubLexus. Not sure his username though.

I'm assuming they might some sort of mod/tune that could lift the speed limiter.

Modded - they are beastly. They can squeeze quite a bit of power from a simple JB4 tune (simple plug and play). It's remarkable what they can really achieve with full bolts on and a tune. There are a couple of videos of them racing mildly modified GTRs (usually exhaust bolts on and some sort of off the shelf tune) and they are able to hang which is very impressive feat.

Turbocharged motors usually tend to respond very well to mods, however the reliability is all dependent on how strong the motor is. No idea the reliability of the new M3/M4s.

This is true. They are known to underrate their engine output which is really surprising.

Either way, with all that said, they are very quick cars. I still dislike their bland interior styling, the horrible sounds that it makes, and unsure about their reliability. Plus they were a bit more than what I wanted to spend.
Old 09-14-16, 11:25 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone see the 700 HP Russian M4 dusting a Berlinetta?

Old 09-14-16, 12:27 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

He's playing Russian Roulette with his drivetrain (pun intended) I can't wait for the Japanese to start building turbos again. The VR30 looks promising and if it's anything like the GTR's VR38, I might consider a 300Z or Supra