00XZIBIT00
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RCF vs M4 Roll Racing

Old 09-08-16, 08:21 AM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I was actually surprised at how hard the M4 pulled on the RCF (who obviously got the jump). Nick has a stock M4 too, no modification what-so-ever.
I knew the M4 was faster, but looks like it would put more than a few car length if they got the hit at the same time.
Old 09-08-16, 09:30 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Many factors here but mainly RPMS they started at in 2nd gear. M4 stock is obviously faster.
Old 09-08-16, 01:50 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Many factors here but mainly RPMS they started at in 2nd gear. M4 stock is obviously faster.
Yup. Faster acceleration. But tops out at 155. I'd love to meet one on an empty highway and see how they pull on me in the triple digits (until they hit the limiter and I cruise past them).

Modded, how much more power are they really going to squeeze out of that already boosted 6 cylinder? I'm predicting devastating defeats vs forced induction RC F's. We are weeks away...
Old 09-08-16, 03:08 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I guess anybody can get press credentials and get to drive these cars. It seems the quality of reviews aren't what they used to be. Too many question marks; was he shifting manually, was he in sport plus, etc, etc. We can't assume either, because I've seen too many videos of guys racing in normal and auto modes. M4 traps between 116 and 120 and the RCF 112 and 114, that's a very slow walk.
Old 09-08-16, 03:18 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

It always bothers me to see the RC F take 2nd in every M4 VS RC F video...BUT, we all must realize that the M4 HP is always underrated by BMW.
I have seen numerous videos of the M4 actually being dyno'de at 480....so the M4 is really putting out much higher numbers than the claimed 425... But hey, the M4 is a fast vehicle...
airlaird
Old 09-08-16, 03:19 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Yup. Faster acceleration. But tops out at 155. I'd love to meet one on an empty highway and see how they pull on me in the triple digits (until they hit the limiter and I cruise past them).

Modded, how much more power are they really going to squeeze out of that already boosted 6 cylinder? I'm predicting devastating defeats vs forced induction RC F's. We are weeks away...
A lot. Prior generation 335s are laying down 800 to 1,000 horsepower to the wheels. on stock internals. That will stomp all over any RC however many turbos/superchargers it has. BMW does some serious engines.

And this is coming from an RC/RC-F lover. I want one. But not for that. That's not what it's for.

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
I guess anybody can get press credentials and get to drive these cars. It seems the quality of reviews aren't what they used to be. Too many question marks; was he shifting manually, was he in sport plus, etc, etc. We can't assume either, because I've seen too many videos of guys racing in normal and auto modes. M4 traps between 116 and 120 and the RCF 112 and 114, that's a very slow walk.
It is a moot point as to who was shifting when and how. The M4 is simply a tidal wave of torque that washes over the RC-F. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 09-08-16, 04:17 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
A lot. Prior generation 335s are laying down 800 to 1,000 horsepower to the wheels. on stock internals. That will stomp all over any RC however many turbos/superchargers it has. BMW does some serious engines.

And this is coming from an RC/RC-F lover. I want one. But not for that. That's not what it's for.

It is a moot point as to who was shifting when and how. The M4 is simply a tidal wave of torque that washes over the RC-F. Just the nature of the beast.
im not arguing it's not. I just wanted to see a fair race. I

trap speeds say it's faster, but we both know how different the modes are in the rcf so it makes a difference
Old 09-08-16, 04:17 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E46CT

Really? So a NA V8 that is putting out 560 HP (GT3) couldn't possibly hit 1000+ HP with forced induction? How many RC F's have you seen with a supercharger or a turbocharger? Links please.

How reliable are these 1000+ HP BMW's? Because in stock form their reliablilty sucks. I can't imagine that they become more reliable by pushing the components even harder.

Anything is possible if you have the purse and the drive...
Old 09-08-16, 04:48 PM
n2knee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airlaird
It always bothers me to see the RC F take 2nd in every M4 VS RC F video...BUT, we all must realize that the M4 HP is always underrated by BMW.
I have seen numerous videos of the M4 actually being dyno'de at 480....so the M4 is really putting out much higher numbers than the claimed 425... But hey, the M4 is a fast vehicle...
airlaird
Are you referring to the M4 GTS dynoing at 480? The M4 GTS was dynoed and was measured at roughly 480-490. I cannot remember the exact numbers. There is no way a regular M4 would achieve 480 without modifications such as JB4 and dp.
Old 09-08-16, 04:55 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

I guess we don't know since you don't actually have an RCF
Old 09-08-16, 05:03 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Snapshot of Reality

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Quick relates to 0-60 speed. Faster relates to top speed. The RC F is FASTER than the M4.

The quickest? Forget the BMW claims. In most runs the RC F TVD will put it down better to the asphalt and pull away from the M4. Lexus RC F easily wins 0-60 below.

Last edited by ISF001; 09-08-16 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 05:26 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I guess we don't know since you don't actually have an RCF
I think he was trolling. I just did a quick search on the bimmer forums and the max they recommend on the stock internals for the previous gen N55 is about 500 hp... Not even close to 800-1000.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=478213

Him mentioning the 335 is like me mentioning the Supra. Neither has anything to do with a M4 or a RC F...

I was pretty sure this guy was a troll when he made a blanket statement like, "That will stomp all over any RC however many turbos/superchargers it has." They clearly have no understanding of how the combustion engine functions. I could build a Civic that would stomp a heavily boosted 335. I can't say how many miles of driving you will get out of that Civic though...

Edit:
I also found this:
http://esstuning.com/s55-stage-2-performance-package/

So it appears the S55 can get up to 650 hp on the stock internals. I have not found anything better. I did find an article on someone trying for 1000 hp, but they are rebuilding the engine. Virtually any engine can be built for 1000 hp...

The RC F is capable of naturally aspirated 560 hp at the crank as is proven in the GT3 (exact same engine). How much is the max on the stock internals? I don't know yet. But since it has forged internals and titanium intake valves I'm guessing that it can safely/reliably put out a lot more power than the S55 (which has cast internals unless I'm mistaken).

Here's another arcticle of interest:
http://www.boostaddict.com/content.php?6759-Limit-of-S55-engine-internals-already-found-TPG-Tuning-building-F80-M3-F82-M4-S55-motor&page=3#comments

I have nothing but time at work to sit around and surf the internet.

Last edited by Davew77; 09-08-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 08:27 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Yeah, 1000 rwhp on any engines stock internals is not realistic and would be heavily advertised. It would roasting everything on the road. Even forged engines have limits.

Like i said, I'm not arguing the M4 isn't faster, but I love the V8
Old 09-08-16, 10:34 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually Nick Murray owns the red M4. He has numerous of other car reviews, mainly reviewing cars of his friends. I actually quite enjoy his humor and his viewpoints.
His friend owns the black RCF, and I believe he is actually on ClubLexus. Not sure his username though.

Originally Posted by Davew77

I'm assuming they might some sort of mod/tune that could lift the speed limiter.

Modded - they are beastly. They can squeeze quite a bit of power from a simple JB4 tune (simple plug and play). It's remarkable what they can really achieve with full bolts on and a tune. There are a couple of videos of them racing mildly modified GTRs (usually exhaust bolts on and some sort of off the shelf tune) and they are able to hang which is very impressive feat.

Turbocharged motors usually tend to respond very well to mods, however the reliability is all dependent on how strong the motor is. No idea the reliability of the new M3/M4s.

Originally Posted by airlaird
airlaird
This is true. They are known to underrate their engine output which is really surprising.

Either way, with all that said, they are very quick cars. I still dislike their bland interior styling, the horrible sounds that it makes, and unsure about their reliability. Plus they were a bit more than what I wanted to spend.

Quick Reply: RCF vs M4 Roll Racing