RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Insurance for Aftermarket Aero/Body Kit Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 05:06 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Insurance for Aftermarket Aero/Body Kit Parts?

Hi! Can you include aftermarket aero/body kits into your car insurance in case of collision, fire, theft, etc? What else can you include in the insurance besides OEM stuff? The cost of buying, waiting, paint matching aftermarket aero/body kit parts is no joke. So, I got curious if it's even possible to have them included in the car insurance.
Old 10-08-16, 07:08 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Hi! Can you include aftermarket aero/body kits into your car insurance in case of collision, fire, theft, etc? What else can you include in the insurance besides OEM stuff? The cost of buying, waiting, paint matching aftermarket aero/body kit parts is no joke. So, I got curious if it's even possible to have them included in the car insurance.
You can just ask for a check for the estimated amount and apply it anyway you wish, but you may be SOL if additional damage shows up not included in the original estimate because you will have signed a release to get the check.
Old 10-08-16, 10:04 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2. Based on my prior experience this is so true. Until the bodyshop tear down everything to see what's going on, you really don't know. To get a reputable bodyshop to do the actual tear down, they will charge you if you decide to NOT GO AHEAD WITH THE REPAIR bc considerable time effort will be involved. The hidden damage often can't be really evaluatied until the above is done. Also in the process of doing the above some parts might be damaged in the removal and often it is unavoidable even in the best of hands. My total repair about a year ago on my CT200H was almost twice what the initial insurance adjuster had put down. The bodyshop showed it all to the insurance adjuster and got approved and they used new OEM parts .

I guess you can always declare all the mod parts with the insurance company when you complete your mods, but I'm sure the insurance company will use this to charge you more??? Why do it? Samething as if you had a really expensive $15k carbon fiber bicycle on the back of your LX570 SUV and the the whole LX570 got stolen. I don't think the insurance company will compensate you for the $15k bicycle unless you declared it ahead of time.

Just can't win ALL THE TIME!!!

Originally Posted by DougHII
You can just ask for a check for the estimated amount and apply it anyway you wish, but you may be SOL if additional damage shows up not included in the original estimate because you will have signed a release to get the check.
Old 10-08-16, 07:51 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

I have had buddies who have done this and paid more on their insurance for it, same with expensive stereo equipment.

Personally, that is why on daily driven cars, I do not put any money into the car that I do not mind losing....expensive carbon fiber stick on parts (that add weight) located right in the back bumper so any small scuff accident destroys them is just silly.
Old 10-09-16, 06:21 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Is this without declaring the aftermarket parts and just asking for a check because you got hit, car put on fire, or stolen?

Originally Posted by lexusrus
X2. Based on my prior experience this is so true. Until the bodyshop tear down everything to see what's going on, you really don't know. To get a reputable bodyshop to do the actual tear down, they will charge you if you decide to NOT GO AHEAD WITH THE REPAIR bc considerable time effort will be involved. The hidden damage often can't be really evaluatied until the above is done. Also in the process of doing the above some parts might be damaged in the removal and often it is unavoidable even in the best of hands. My total repair about a year ago on my CT200H was almost twice what the initial insurance adjuster had put down. The bodyshop showed it all to the insurance adjuster and got approved and they used new OEM parts .

I guess you can always declare all the mod parts with the insurance company when you complete your mods, but I'm sure the insurance company will use this to charge you more??? Why do it? Samething as if you had a really expensive $15k carbon fiber bicycle on the back of your LX570 SUV and the the whole LX570 got stolen. I don't think the insurance company will compensate you for the $15k bicycle unless you declared it ahead of time. Just can't win ALL THE TIME!!!
Oh... I'm glad your updated final repair cost was approved.

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I have had buddies who have done this and paid more on their insurance for it, same with expensive stereo equipment. Personally, that is why on daily driven cars, I do not put any money into the car that I do not mind losing....expensive carbon fiber stick on parts (that add weight) located right in the back bumper so any small scuff accident destroys them is just silly.
If you don't mind me asking or if you ever, how much were their aftermarket aero/body kits? How much did they declare and how much was the increase per month or per 6 months?
Old 10-09-16, 01:54 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I misunderstood your original question. I thought you were looking to replace damaged parts with aftermarket parts. If you are asking whether your insurance company will specifically provide coverage for more expensive aftermarket parts or parts not originally on the car such as aero kits, you would need to call them and ask them. Some do and some might not. I have documented upgrades on Porsches and etc., but the modifications were done by Ruf in all 3 instances. RUF parts are much more expensive than OEM. I have had others cars were I added some bling type stuff myself, but the additional costs of those items over what OEM parts costs was typically negligible to nonexistent.

As far as body kit, is the actual costs of the body parts more expensive than the OEM parts they are replacing?
Old 10-09-16, 11:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't have any aftermarket parts. All OEM.

The original estimate from the insurance adjuster was a very low ball figure as he just walked around with his notebook and just did it without having the car on a rack or anything like that.

When the bodyshop looked at it they had all parts exposed and OFF the car with a very detailed item by item list. I couldn't believe it at first so I went for a look. My whole front end was on the floor in a marked off section dedicated to my car!!!! Parts were all over the place neatly labeled and categorized. The bodyshop got the insurance adjuster to come by twice bc there were additional parts needed after the second go around.

At the end all good and back to original Lexus specs (as close as possible, I guess)

BTW, one of my neighbors with that loud Subaru WRX STI got his front bumper hit while he was parked. He worked out a deal with another small mom and pop bodyshop specialize in imports like his to apply the insurance money towards a CF hood and front number at no additional cost out of pocket for him. IDK what CF hood and front bumper it was, but he did have to wait like a month for it to come from Japan. I looked at his car after it was done and it looked very nice. So I guess if you can get a bodyshop you can trust, then you will be ok.

My insurance premium increase was around $450 annually. The insurance company said this will continue for 3 years and then it will disappear (assuming no other incidents ).

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Is this without declaring the aftermarket parts and just asking for a check because you got hit, car put on fire, or stolen?

Oh... I'm glad your updated final repair cost was approved.

If you don't mind me asking or if you ever, how much were their aftermarket aero/body kits? How much did they declare and how much was the increase per month or per 6 months?

Last edited by lexusrus; 10-10-16 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 04:44 PM
riotfoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most carriers will not let you add accessories on a typical personal auto policy since the addition of aftermarket parts does nothing to insurance market values. There are some shady companies whom will sell you additional protection which at the end of the day will be on a actual cost basis vs replacement cost. You have to look at it through insurance company eyes a car is very black and white. while modding is fun and enjoyable to us the insurance companies see no benefit to these additions so will not give additional money in case of accident or theft. Full disclosure I am a license insurance agent with 16yrs experience for reference. On the other hand I know some one will post " I had a friend say that he got paid for everything" well 9-10 times your friend is lying to you. In the rare occasion a company pays out for these add on parts consider yourself very lucky and never bank on it. Sorry for being a Debbie downer
Old 10-10-16, 04:50 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

If you have Progressive, they have a option where you can put down how much you want covered for your custom parts and they will adjust your rate accordingly.
Old 10-10-16, 04:52 PM
riotfoto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCF500
If you have Progressive, they have a option where you can put down how much you want covered for your custom parts and they will adjust your rate accordingly.
They do but its at actual cash value and not available in ever state.California is a bad state for Insurance sometimes and think op is in this beautiful state of ours.
Old 10-10-16, 05:08 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always wondered what the insurance companies will do to modded cars. I've been hearing that it's possible that they'll pay for new after market products so long as it costs under the OEM part
Old 10-10-16, 05:34 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My carrier, State Farm, covered all of my aftermarket upgrades, paint correction, cquartz finest coating and paint protection film on my other car when involved in my sideswipe incident last year. They then asked for a detailed list of upgrades and asked that they be informed of any future upgrades. I sent the list in, along with receipts. My rates went up about $60 per year when I got my renewal notice this year. Not sure if it was due to increased liability for my cars upgrades or just rates going up for my particular model (dodge hellcat) in general.
A few months after my claim, I got a letter asking about upgrades for my other vehicles, I replied honestly, listing all upgrades (primarily performance related), and rates have not risen significantly for them either.
I have been with SF for decades and rarely need to make a claim.
Your mileage may vary!
Old 10-10-16, 05:49 PM
riotfoto
Driver School Candidate

Like I said there is always the exception and consider yourself very fortunate.I worked for sf for years and even though they take a list of things do not bank on it. I am not the end all to be all answers just giving you real world experience with most reputable carriers SF being one of them. KATRCF happy to hear they took care of you this could also because they were going to recoup cost for the other insureds company, if the shoe was on the other foot I wouldn't be shocked your post would have been a lot different. Regarding your rate going up there has and will be a few more rate increases in CA this year and next from all carriers.