RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone with Borla exhaust changed the muffler tip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 11:44 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF100
After looking at some pictures compared the a setup like GThaus I can totally see what you mean now. It definitely doesn't look very good. Now I'm not sure if I want to go borla :-(
Well the GTHaus is x5 the price.

Customers love the Borla, never had a disappointed one.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-03-17, 12:56 PM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Well the GTHaus is x5 the price.

Customers love the Borla, never had a disappointed one.

-Josh
I think auto correct messed up my previous message which you quoted lol. But yes, I'm sure the fit/finish/sound/quality are all great. It is strange that they would put ugly tips on the system though. The stock tips look far better. Was just looking at the back of my stock car today and it looks fantastic.
Old 02-03-17, 01:58 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

After looking at some pictures compared the a setup like GThaus I can totally see what you mean now. It definitely doesn't look very good. Now I'm not sure if I want to go borla :-(
I love my Borla exhaust, the tips are a minor issue.
Old 02-03-17, 01:59 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by RYLITT
I love my Borla exhaust, the tips are a minor issue.
I'm looking for more pictures of the exhaust on. Could you post a picture of your setup?
Old 02-03-17, 02:44 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Looks fine at an angle, straight on it doesn't look like it fills up as much but it's not very noticeable. I'm comparing this though off of muchhhh larger tips, these are still quite large. The sound is MUCH louder, and personally BETTER than most exhausts available for the RCF. My buddy has the Meisterschaft, another with a Magnaflow (best looking from what I've seen - fan of the larger exhaust tips) and neither pop or sound as nice as the Borla IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by RYLITT:
1BlinkGone (02-04-17), ISFPOWER (02-03-17)
Old 02-03-17, 02:56 PM
RCF100
Driver

Looks fine at an angle, straight on it doesn't look like it fills up as much but it's not very noticeable. I'm comparing this though off of muchhhh larger tips, these are still quite large. The sound is MUCH louder, and personally BETTER than most exhausts available for the RCF. My buddy has the Meisterschaft, another with a Magnaflow (best looking from what I've seen - fan of the larger exhaust tips) and neither pop or sound as nice as the Borla IMO.

First of all, beautiful pictures! Great scenery. Second, you've sold me!

Would like to speak with you more about the Meister vs Borla sound comparison. From videos, the GThaus exhaust sounds more vicious, loud/popping/etc. Almost like an F type v8. But if you're telling me it's the opposite, I will be ordering the borla for sure! Save $3500 as well!
Old 02-03-17, 02:58 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Beautiful - This car looks great! Including the exhaust.
Old 02-03-17, 06:21 PM
rfugio68
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

At $1450 shipped the borla is the best exhaust you can get period. However the tips do look pretty bad, I would just weld some different tips on, had I not gotten an insane deal on the gthaus that's what I would have done.
Old 02-03-17, 06:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Jim, When you talk to Paul ask him his impression of the Borla. He's had experience as have I. Very poor quality IMO, and a clamping system prone to leaks. I have posted about this before. This is a design to cost exhaust not a design for quality. IOW, you get what you pay for.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (02-03-17)
Old 02-03-17, 08:14 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

First of all, beautiful pictures! Great scenery. Second, you've sold me!

Would like to speak with you more about the Meister vs Borla sound comparison. From videos, the GThaus exhaust sounds more vicious, loud/popping/etc. Almost like an F type v8. But if you're telling me it's the opposite, I will be ordering the borla for sure! Save $3500 as well!
Thanks for the compliments. I have some sound clips on my Instagram, the Meisterschaft can pop and sounds mean, but the Borla is also in a world of it's own. Direct link to rolling video and rev limiter hit here:
View this post on Instagram
warm start here
View this post on Instagram
The following 2 users liked this post by RYLITT:
BossMoss (02-03-17), RCF100 (02-04-17)
Old 02-03-17, 08:16 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Thank you!
Old 02-03-17, 10:41 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the tip looks fine - although personally I am a fan of bigger tips as well. I prefer these over the OEM tips because of the round vs oval. Never fan of the oval shape tips.
The following users liked this post:
ISFPOWER (02-03-17)
Old 02-04-17, 06:26 AM
JJSoCrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOVE the wheels on your RC F! What are they?
Old 02-04-17, 08:58 AM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by rfugio68
At $1450 shipped the borla is the best exhaust you can get period. However the tips do look pretty bad, I would just weld some different tips on, had I not gotten an insane deal on the gthaus that's what I would have done.
It's definitely the best sounding exhaust for the money that I've heard. Out of curiosity, what was your insane deal? haha

Originally Posted by flowrider
Jim, When you talk to Paul ask him his impression of the Borla. He's had experience as have I. Very poor quality IMO, and a clamping system prone to leaks. I have posted about this before. This is a design to cost exhaust not a design for quality. IOW, you get what you pay for.

Lou
Are you saying the Borla is poor quality? It is obviously the cheaper of the RCF exhaust systems but that is mostly due to the fact that they aren't a brand catering to exotic cars. They are extremely popular in the muscle car community and known to have fantastic quality. The pricing on GThaus / Novel is much higher due to their "exotic" customer base who they can overcharge. Regardless, I'm sure GThaus is definitely better quality than Borla, but I don't see it being 300% better.

Originally Posted by IMCHIA

I think the tip looks fine - although personally I am a fan of bigger tips as well. I prefer these over the OEM tips because of the round vs oval. Never fan of the oval shape tips.
That actually does look good. Doesn't look as small in those pictures. I prefer circular over ovular as well.
Old 02-04-17, 10:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Are you saying the Borla is poor quality? It is obviously the cheaper of the RCF exhaust systems but that is mostly due to the fact that they aren't a brand catering to exotic cars. They are extremely popular in the muscle car community and known to have fantastic quality. The pricing on GThaus / Novel is much higher due to their "exotic" customer base who they can overcharge.
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. My experience with them goes back to my G35 days, Back 15 or so years. David Borla and I had a rather spirited eMail exchange back in the day. As I said, Borla is a budget exhaust, it just doesn't fit very well and has a very poorly designed clamping system. I recommend anyone who has a Borla to get all joints welded. Over time the clamping system probably will leak.

There are other choices besides the two you mentioned.

Lou

Quick Reply: Anyone with Borla exhaust changed the muffler tip?