RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F carbon roof added after purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 05:56 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyJames
I've also heard from multiple sources - including a dealership - that the carbon roof is indeed in the $15k range...
my bodyshop sent and asked for a quote to replace a carbon roof on the RCF. hopefully he can send me a print out so i can post up. If TVD, carbon wing and the roof is 5500 option when buying new, 15k is a crazy price . easily to get totaled out in an accident with a price like that for roof alone.
Old 10-26-16, 06:18 AM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
my bodyshop sent and asked for a quote to replace a carbon roof on the RCF. hopefully he can send me a print out so i can post up. If TVD, carbon wing and the roof is 5500 option when buying new, 15k is a crazy price . easily to get totaled out in an accident with a price like that for roof alone.
It would only be totaled if the value of the car was $11,000 or less because it would exceed 50% of the value. So I hope a CF damaged roof would not ever cause the RCF to get totaled for at least 10yrs LOL
Old 10-26-16, 06:40 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
It would only be totaled if the value of the car was $11,000 or less because it would exceed 50% of the value. So I hope a CF damaged roof would not ever cause the RCF to get totaled for at least 10yrs LOL
well there would be a lot more damage, if the roof was involved

just to put this into perspective. c6 corvette z06 fenders were 4k to replace their carbon fiber fenders plus to repaint. a 15k roof , thats scary.
Old 10-26-16, 07:28 AM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The carbon fiber roof is around 10.5k here in a Socal Lexus dealership. Mr. Thepower you can also contact ZAKF he makes carbon fiber roofs for the ISF with and with out sunroof and an array of products . He has a composites company . Also there's a auto dismantler here in orange county Ca parting out a carbon pkg RCF. Check Craigslist and you can see an abundance of parts they posted even an almost new tranny .
Old 10-26-16, 09:49 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, it is indeed in the $15k range for thd RCF CF roof.....OEM from Japan made by the very same machine that weaved the LFA CF body/chassis and now the RCF CF roof, hood, spoiler, and etc.

If you want OEM, it is going to cost you.

Not necessarily have to have HEAVY damage to the rest of the car to have CF roof damage. There is a CL member's RCF CF roof got dinged by some heavy old style glass light cover that fell onto the RCF CF roof from the ceiling about 3 to 4 feet above the car's CF roof and caused a tiny crack in the CF. Once there is a crack in thd CF roof......the Crack will spread unless fixed.

The $2k RCF CF roof option is most likely self formed/made and not factory. Or maybe from salvage yards. IDK I would trust a slightly used RCF CF roof that was "sawed" off from a donor RCF and then to be glued onto mine.

Originally Posted by CodyJames
I've also heard from multiple sources - including a dealership - that the carbon roof is indeed in the $15k range...
Old 04-19-22, 08:11 AM
Hawk10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealers will CPO a new car in order to get Lexus to send them another LC... so it means the best of all worlds - you get a CPO car, new car warranty Plus 2 years, and unlimited miles. AND a large $$ discount to boot. Colour me sold....
Old 04-19-22, 08:45 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 318 Likes on 205 Posts

Wait so the PP is a $5500 option but if you were to buy just the cf roof it's $15k?
Old 04-19-22, 11:35 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
Wait so the PP is a $5500 option but if you were to buy just the cf roof it's $15k?
Probably back then yes.

Now the carbon package is $17,775. It DOES include GSF black wheels... but when I was looking at my 2020 and building it out. The carbon package was a $10k option. Only thing I'd actually want is the CF roof, I don't care for the splitter or spoiler in CF. It's a shame that lexus didn't offer a CF roof stand alone option or one with a sunroof.
To me having a sun roof is way better than not having one.

-Nigel
Old 04-19-22, 12:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
. It's a shame that lexus didn't offer a CF roof stand alone option or one with a sunroof.

-Nigel
That defeats the purpose. Having a carbon fiber benefits from lowering the center of gravity with lesser weight at the top most part of the car. Also, adds some structural rigidity as well since CF is more rigid than steel. A moonroof does the opposite on both accounts. It raises the center of gravity due to the added weight and also with a big hole in the roof, it somewhat compromises structural rigidity. It is not just a Lexus thing as no company offers moonroof together with a carbon fiber roof.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
LoSt180 (04-19-22), yok3dIS (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 12:27 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

I totally get why they did it, but to me it wouldn't have mattered at all if there was added weight. I just want a sun roof, and having the rest of the roof being CF would have been splendid! It's a shame we can't pick options a la cart like Porsche does. That's one thing that is so nice you can have a truely 1 of 1 build with different options. You pay for it but you get exactly what you want.

Even if there was just a piece of glass that didn't move in the roof. That would be acceptable as well. At least it wouldn't make the interior feel so enclosed. That's one thing I hate about cars without glass on the roof.. it's too closed in for me.

-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
vraa (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 03:24 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That defeats the purpose. Having a carbon fiber benefits from lowering the center of gravity with lesser weight at the top most part of the car. Also, adds some structural rigidity as well since CF is more rigid than steel. A moonroof does the opposite on both accounts. It raises the center of gravity due to the added weight and also with a big hole in the roof, it somewhat compromises structural rigidity. It is not just a Lexus thing as no company offers moonroof together with a carbon fiber roof.
A sunroof also leaves you open to squeaks and rattles down the road...IMHIK...lol
Old 04-19-22, 03:50 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I totally get why they did it, but to me it wouldn't have mattered at all if there was added weight. I just want a sun roof, and having the rest of the roof being CF would have been splendid! It's a shame we can't pick options a la cart like Porsche does. That's one thing that is so nice you can have a truely 1 of 1 build with different options. You pay for it but you get exactly what you want.

Even if there was just a piece of glass that didn't move in the roof. That would be acceptable as well. At least it wouldn't make the interior feel so enclosed. That's one thing I hate about cars without glass on the roof.. it's too closed in for me.

-Nigel
I got the CF package. Could have done without the carbon trim pieces except for the neat pop up wing. The roof (being black) gets the cabin really hot if you park in the sun. Like you, I would have liked the sunroof with a carbon "look". I dunno what else the base roof gets for you, but I miss an eyeglasses holder up there. Could have done without the TVD as well but it is fun to drive around town in Slalom. Problem with new cars in pandemic...just not a lot of choices at the dealers. If we're wishing for options, wouldn't a convertible RC F be amazing?
Old 04-19-22, 05:45 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I guess I got lucky with my 2015. I have a sunroof & tvd 😁
Old 04-19-22, 07:04 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 315 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
A sunroof also leaves you open to squeaks and rattles down the road...IMHIK...lol
Some German formulated track grease and you are good to go.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by konichiwa3; 04-19-22 at 07:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cvt (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 09:15 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Some German formulated track grease and you are good to go.
https://www.amazon.com/AUDI-SUNROOF-...s%2C140&sr=8-5
Whoa, have you tried this yourself? Did you just grease the tracks or did you also grease the rubber seal of the sunroof?

Quick Reply: RC-F carbon roof added after purchase