RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

How are you guys blacking out your window TRIM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 05:32 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i work 70 hours a week but put more about 80 hours into my career. I understand that time is money but some members have time to post on here and make build threads yet they don't like to share where they got something or sizes of offsets for example. I'm all for letting people use the search button but some of these rc-f guys are real ******. ill never let these members persuade what car to buy of the way they act but part of me wished i should o skipped the RCF and straight to a new GTR of how much more active the GTR forums are.
I'm not defending anyone, but I don't know their circumstances. As for myself, I have no problem sharing info. The only time I am on these forums is while I'm at work. I don't waste my free time here. So if I do a build thread it will be done while sitting here at work.

I have also had some questions that went unanswered. I'm guessing it's more from a lack of knowledge that anything else really. I'm sure there's a few pretentious people on here, but I wouldn't let that influence my car buying decisions.
Old 11-01-16, 07:25 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the time is big to me. If it's something I can bolt on simply, cool I'm with it, but if I have to learn how to do something I'm almost positive I won't do again yep I'm paying. I want to do a chrome delete as well but in no way would I even attempt to do this myself, not that I'm an idiot but yeah I'm paying. I'm thinking the wrap is the way for me.
Old 11-02-16, 02:07 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Danblanco
Yeah, the time is big to me. If it's something I can bolt on simply, cool I'm with it, but if I have to learn how to do something I'm almost positive I won't do again yep I'm paying. I want to do a chrome delete as well but in no way would I even attempt to do this myself, not that I'm an idiot but yeah I'm paying. I'm thinking the wrap is the way for me.
I know I'll be paying to have it done. Not only because of the time, but also because I know it will be done better than I could do it. You can't compete with people who do it every day (unless they just suck).

I used tint as an example because it is something I can personally relate to. I used to always do my own tinting. I even thought I was good at it. I had my RC F professionally tinted not only because of the time factor, but also because of that rear window. Take a good look back there

I couldn't have done the job as well, nor as quickly as the guy who did my tint. He was a real artist. I am glad that I paid to have it done. I feel that the tint will last for as long as I own it without any issues.

Doing this chrome delete stuff may be easier, but there is still some art to it. Otherwise most people would do it themselves and who would need a shop? Just my $.02.
Old 11-02-16, 04:55 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davew77
I know I'll be paying to have it done. Not only because of the time, but also because I know it will be done better than I could do it. You can't compete with people who do it every day (unless they just suck).

I used tint as an example because it is something I can personally relate to. I used to always do my own tinting. I even thought I was good at it. I had my RC F professionally tinted not only because of the time factor, but also because of that rear window. Take a good look back there

I couldn't have done the job as well, nor as quickly as the guy who did my tint. He was a real artist. I am glad that I paid to have it done. I feel that the tint will last for as long as I own it without any issues.

Doing this chrome delete stuff may be easier, but there is still some art to it. Otherwise most people would do it themselves and who would need a shop? Just my $.02.
Exactly, I agree
Old 11-02-16, 06:51 PM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,610 Likes on 701 Posts

OP, I know you have asked this question on my build thread, it is unanswered because I work more hours than you do and have worked all weekend the past month, Boeing life. The window trim blacking out is also mentioned on my build thread. As far as sharing some nuts and bolts sizes, really? Honestly I don't know the exact lengths of each bolt I've replaced, in fact some of them weren't even replaced with exact same length, give or take a thread or two. Alot of the bolts are 8mm and 6mm, now, when you say a metric bolt is 8mm, that means it's the diameter of the bolt, NOT the size of the socket you use to turn it. I'm just stating this because I do hear some people describe a fastener by it's hex head size. Common thread pitch for Lexus/Toyota 8mm bolt is 1.25mm. 1.00mm for a 6mm bolt.<br />Back to window trim, it was done by the same place that did the XPEL wrap on my car. I paid to have it done because it is guaranteed for 7 years or something like that, against peeling or anything.<br />****, it's late, gotta get up at 2 am to work another 12 hr day tomorrow.
Old 11-02-16, 08:42 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
OP, I know you have asked this question on my build thread, it is unanswered because I work more hours than you do and have worked all weekend the past month, Boeing life. The window trim blacking out is also mentioned on my build thread. As far as sharing some nuts and bolts sizes, really? Honestly I don't know the exact lengths of each bolt I've replaced, in fact some of them weren't even replaced with exact same length, give or take a thread or two. Alot of the bolts are 8mm and 6mm, now, when you say a metric bolt is 8mm, that means it's the diameter of the bolt, NOT the size of the socket you use to turn it. I'm just stating this because I do hear some people describe a fastener by it's hex head size. Common thread pitch for Lexus/Toyota 8mm bolt is 1.25mm. 1.00mm for a 6mm bolt.<br />Back to window trim, it was done by the same place that did the XPEL wrap on my car. I paid to have it done because it is guaranteed for 7 years or something like that, against peeling or anything.<br />****, it's late, gotta get up at 2 am to work another 12 hr day tomorrow.
thanks for your reply. Maybe its me answering well over 300 PMs on here in the last 4 years about how to install parts, where to buy , how to install..etc. If i have time to come on here, i have time to answer my fellow owners and help them. Maybe this is why i have over 150k views on my build thread.

While i can pay for everything to be installed, I don't trust people to take care of my car like how i would. besides warranty and alignments, i tend to do things myself. even installing my own tires.
Old 11-03-16, 05:01 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Doing the trim looks pretty easy from this video and I can't see it being too costly. It looks pretty simple if you wanted to do a DYI, and with the small amount of material that is being used it wouldn't be a big deal if you had to try several times. I've thought about trying it, but never seem to have the time to actually do it. Let us know what you decided and post it up

The following users liked this post:
rjmalm (09-10-18)
Old 11-03-16, 05:56 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for posting the video Carnevino.

I purchased the 3M film last week and going to try a DIY. It was only $18 on Amazon so worth a shot.
Old 11-03-16, 03:08 PM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneakerboy
Does Sticker City make precut vinyl for the RCF?
Don't think so man..
Old 11-27-16, 11:33 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i work 70 hours a week but put more about 80 hours into my career. I understand that time is money but some members have time to post on here and make build threads yet they don't like to share where they got something or sizes of offsets for example. I'm all for letting people use the search button but some of these rc-f guys are real ******. ill never let these members persuade what car to buy of the way they act but part of me wished i should o skipped the RCF and straight to a new GTR of how much more active the GTR forums are.
I'm revising my earlier response. Some of these RC F guys really are ******. They want answers, but often don't respond to questions people ask them. That's fine. I've been keeping tabs. One day they'll have a question that I can answer and I'll bite my tongue too. That is, if they aren't already blocked.

I don't deny that I can sometimes come off arrogant. Especially when I'm defending something I believe in. But I always try to be helpful when people ask for it.

I just revisited this thread because I'm doing a chrome delete...
Old 11-28-16, 12:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

I don't waste my free time here. So if I do a build thread it will be done while sitting here at work.
You don't waste your free time here But, it's OK for you to spend time that your being compensated for doing something that you're not being paid to do Sounds pretty darn arrogant to me! The time I spend here, is certainly not wasted IMHO. And it's my own time, not someone else's.

Just jumping in here, because your comments rubbed me the wrong way!!!!!!!!!

Lou
Old 11-28-16, 02:55 PM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm revising my earlier response. Some of these RC F guys really are ******. They want answers, but often don't respond to questions people ask them. That's fine. I've been keeping tabs. One day they'll have a question that I can answer and I'll bite my tongue too. That is, if they aren't already blocked.

I don't deny that I can sometimes come off arrogant. Especially when I'm defending something I believe in. But I always try to be helpful when people ask for it.

I just revisited this thread because I'm doing a chrome delete...
It's because deep, deep down many RC-F owners have terrible buyers remorse! LOL, they just won't admit it. Please pardon their bitterness. I'm totally joking, I think....
Old 11-28-16, 07:58 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an old pic, but got mine done at a local shop for $120, they gave me 2yr warranty and it still looks good. There's a small amount of peeling at the very edge near the mirror, cant tell unless you get really close. Hasn't bothered me enough to go back and have them re-wrap. Besides wheels, this trim blackout really changes the look of the car.

Also noticed some comments about people not responding too much on these RC F threads, I agree, but maybe it is due to the very small amount of owners who have actually modded their cars. The 'Pics of your RC F' thread is proof enough.
The following users liked this post:
rjmalm (09-10-18)
Old 11-29-16, 05:17 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Raykwon02

where in FL did you get it done, i'm in south FL and looking for a shop to get it done, nobody so far want to touch it.
Old 12-02-16, 06:24 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
You don't waste your free time here But, it's OK for you to spend time that your being compensated for doing something that you're not being paid to do Sounds pretty darn arrogant to me! The time I spend here, is certainly not wasted IMHO. And it's my own time, not someone else's.

Just jumping in here, because your comments rubbed me the wrong way!!!!!!!!!

Lou
I am doing what I am paid to do. What I am paid to do can sometimes be done while surfing the internet, talking on the phone, etc... Do you think that a company which closely monitors it's network traffic would keep paying me to surf these forums while at work if I wasn't able to do my job at the same time?

It's pretty darn arrogant to assume that you have any clue what I do for a living.

Just replying because your comments rubbed me the wrong way.

Starting this week they are actually paying me to spend most of my time doing absolutely nothing. My contract is almost up and they want to see how things run around here without me being here. The little bit of work I do is small amounts of training of personnel and inspecting of processes. But it also means that I haven't been sitting in front of a computer all day. So I've been really bored.

But you know what they say... the less work you do the more money you usually make. I'm paid for my knowledge. So I don't work much. But I have very little free time. Maybe 2 hours per day. That time is used to shower, shave, crap, etc... So if I were to spend any of my free time here it would certainly feel like wasted time to me.

Does this mean we can't be friends?

Last edited by Davew77; 12-02-16 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: How are you guys blacking out your window TRIM?