RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 10:27 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,576 Likes on 688 Posts

I went for what I went for mainly for what it is made of, I'm a sucker for lighter yet functional materials, especially for a car as heavy as the RC-F. The sound, well, I can't say it's my favorite, it will probably get old and I will do something to quiet it down. But boy it is beautiful!

Old 11-13-16, 10:53 AM
rfugio68
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The novel exhaust system easily sounds the best, however 11k is a little steep. Borla sounds great but it would get too loud with headers, I'm just wondering how an ark/ppe combo would sound.
Old 11-13-16, 12:16 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rfugio68
The novel exhaust system easily sounds the best, however 11k is a little steep. Borla sounds great but it would get too loud with headers, I'm just wondering how an ark/ppe combo would sound.
It is crazy expensive and too much to put into an RCF. I don't understand why someone cannot reverse engineer it or make something comparable and at least get close to the sound.
Old 11-13-16, 03:28 PM
JT2MA71

The novel sound is a combination of the long tube equal length headers and the rest of the exhaust system. I also heard that, not 100% sure, that the audio on the promo video was enhanced. It is a very nice, well made system. It was actually my first choice but he wouldn't make a system in 321ss . And he said the cost would be twice to make it in titanium.
Old 11-13-16, 03:32 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I hear you on gains, but I just don't think any of them will give you any noticeable difference in real world performance and some may potentially decrease real world performance despite touting peak increase in hp if torque suffers or area under the torque curve suffers.
That novel combo sounds amazing.

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I went for what I went for mainly for what it is made of, I'm a sucker for lighter yet functional materials, especially for a car as heavy as the RC-F. The sound, well, I can't say it's my favorite, it will probably get old and I will do something to quiet it down. But boy it is beautiful!
thats a beauty but i don't even want to know how much that cost
Old 11-13-16, 05:28 PM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
That novel combo sounds amazing.

thats a beauty but i don't even want to know how much that cost
almost as much as a CF hood from Lexus Japan :/
Old 11-13-16, 07:47 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I found this in another thread and I'll give it a shot to see the difference;

As I sometimes need my exhaust to be quiet, I was also considering something like the GT Haus Meisterschaft GTC since it has valves that can be opened or closed using the homelink buttons (If I read that correctly). But I was curious how quiet the exhaust would be in comparison to stock with the valves closed? Would it still be pretty loud? If it's fairly quiet then I might consider it...
Old 11-14-16, 04:20 AM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
As I sometimes need my exhaust to be quiet, I was also considering something like the GT Haus Meisterschaft GTC since it has valves that can be opened or closed using the homelink buttons (If I read that correctly). But I was curious how quiet the exhaust would be in comparison to stock with the valves closed? Would it still be pretty loud? If it's fairly quiet then I might consider it...
If you read those threads, some report low-end torque loss. So be on the lookout for that and let us know.

- Dr. Edward Cheung
Old 11-14-16, 11:07 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

With the valves closed, it sounds slightly louder than the stock yet more aggressive. It was designed to keep the exhaust as close to stock sound as possible.
1-855-998-8726
Old 11-14-16, 01:31 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by siredward
If you read those threads, some report low-end torque loss. So be on the lookout for that and let us know.

- Dr. Edward Cheung
I did it today. It only costs a couple of bucks for the vacuum caps at AutoZone. It makes a noticeable improvement in the sound. I am unsure about the torque loss as of yet. I had trouble getting the car to break traction today. But I also have brand new 285's on the rear and I've been trying to not break traction since they were just put on. I need to try some back to back runs with and without the mod. If there is any torque loss it doesn't feel like much.

Update: The reason I was having trouble breaking traction is because I forgot to turn off the traction control.

I did back to back runs and I got the same amount of wheel spin with and without the mod. My butt dyno cannot tell the difference, but my ears can hear it at low rpm. It has more grunt (in sport+ mode). If there is any torque loss it will only be found with a back to back dyno or from 60' times on 1/4 mile timeslips from a person who can consistently cut the same times.

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
With the valves closed, it sounds slightly louder than the stock yet more aggressive. It was designed to keep the exhaust as close to stock sound as possible.
That's good news. I may try it out. I'm going to do some more research on it.

Edit: I'm going to do it. Axle back only, but with the resonators deleted. So that I can still pass emissions in the event that I move (which I may be doing soon). If I don't move then I can always get the catback later.

Last edited by Davew77; 11-15-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 04:04 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ssmoked
are you sure they are not hearing the fake generated noise inside the cabin? I stood outside along with my friends with high end cars and sport cars and heard the stock exhaust rev, it's not impressive at all.

Again I understand this is a Lexus, but it's not the base is250 here. It top of the line trim v8 coupe. Lexus should at least engineer some distinguished notes. Another example is Maserati, even the base ghibli has a nice tone to it
My apologies. You are correct. I was too quick to go into defense mode and the people who like it also don't drive high end sports cars.

Now I'm about to buy an axle back Meisterschaft... but only because of the ev control. That way I can make it close to stock volume in the cabin when I need to.

I like the Novel system. But not for 5 figures. $5k-$6k is about the limit for me on exhausts.
Old 11-16-16, 10:05 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What is this closing? Can you post the link to the thread you found this?
Old 11-16-16, 12:36 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RYLITT
What is this closing? Can you post the link to the thread you found this?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ification.html

Some like it some hate it. For a couple of bucks it doesn't hurt to see for yourself. I'll probably put it back to stock when I get my exhaust installed. I don't see much point to this mod after that.

I probably haven't noticed any difference in power because it's cold here right now. If the heatsoak theory is true then you'd likely only see a difference in power during hot days.

Last edited by Davew77; 11-16-16 at 01:22 PM.