RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

thoughts on purchasing a used rc-f

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 05:17 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think it's worth it. It's a 2014 model with 4 years worth of mileage. It seems pretty used up like 16 to 24k+/- miles per year. lol!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-15-16 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Long URL error, remove quote
Old 12-15-16, 05:43 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118

you better have deep pockets for repairs when warranty is over. Either that or buy extended warranty and pay a deductable every time something breaks
Old 12-15-16, 09:19 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
you better have deep pockets for repairs when warranty is over. Either that or buy extended warranty and pay a deductable every time something breaks
Agreed. Look, MB even puts in a direct hotline button to your mechanic. They know their cars all too well.
Attached Thumbnails thoughts on purchasing a used rc-f-photo46.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Katrcf (12-18-16)
Old 12-15-16, 11:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree with you totally and that's why I shipped my RCF to middle of nowhere in MS where I work from SoCal where I live. I can really open her up and go!!

You know, life is too short to not enjoy. But don't over do it to the extreme that you are constantly worried about money.

I was in school/training for a long time because of my profession. I had a boring pickup truck for the longest time (For those of you who are old enough to remember the Isuzu P'Up truck. I had the bare bone stick shift model with no AC!! Plus talk about an anemic 4 cylinder engine!! But it was very reliable and never failed me). So I know about boring cars, LOL.

It was not until my mid 30's that I was able to save up enough to buy a brand new LX470 (when I was growing up I always wanted a Land Cruiser. Lexus did not exist back in the days). My wife and I drove that LX470 for a long time trouble free for like 13+ years and some 280K miles. Eventually traded in for another new 2013 LX570. Now I'm in my 50's, I learned that truly life is short for not getting what you want and happy with. I would suggest if you are able to financially and responsibly get the RCF, then by all means go ahead. But if you have to forego things like a set of brand new tires every 20k miles or so for the rear set AND drive on bald tires in order to afford the RCF, then you are not really enjoying the RCF the right way.

If you are not happy in the RC200t, then only you can tell that is not the car for you. Regardless, the RC200T is still a very nice car!!! If you get rid of it and go with something else, the depreciation loss on the RC200T is just too great for me to even think about. My 2 cents....

Originally Posted by Frog98
I really wanted an "F' car. I got a great deal on my RC F. But in real life where I live...in an crowded urban suburb...I couldn't use the RC F to do what it does best...go fast! Where I do the majority of my driving is 35 to 45 mph. I found I actually preferred the responsiveness of my NX 200t. So I traded my RC F. If I had to go back and make the decision again...I would have been better off with an IS 350. Your RC 200t F Sport is a really nice car! Just some advice from a guy in his mid 40's. But ISFPOWER is right...life is short...do what makes you happy...if you get a good deal...without going into debt you can't recover from.
Old 12-16-16, 12:20 AM
fijjy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leased my RC F. 10,000 miles in and I think I only redline five times or so. No plans to keep it after the lease and I need to abuse it more. There'll definitely be great used RC F out there.
Old 12-16-16, 09:09 AM
Infrared
Rookie

Get the RC-F and don't look back.

The RC-F is amazing and the last of its kind (naturally aspirated V8 GT/Luxury coupes.) When the market realizes it's the last unicorn, I think it's value will increase. It's like the air-cooled Porsches everyone is crazy about.

But the Lexus is also bullet-proof, as much as any car can be. I bought mine used with less than 3,000 miles and I did not car if it was driven at redline in first gear for all 3,000 miles. Now at 12,000 miles, mine is perfect and drives flawless. I even have winter tires (Pirelli Sotozero II) on it and I can drive it all year here in Colorado.

I came from an RC350 F Sport; had that for about a year before getting the RC-F. The RC350 was great! 306hp and AWD - it was no slouch. But... the sound of the RC-F (mine already had magnaflow exhaust, which, while I would never have bought that, sounds amazing and I could now never live without it!)... the sound alone is worth the price of admission.

Throw it in sport plus and manual shift it everywhere. If you love cars, then drive cars you love. Just my $.02.

PS: no one gives a **** about 1/10th's of a second to 60 or the 1/4 mile. The RC-F is fast. Very fast. Like hyper-car fast from not that long ago... And there will ALWAYS be a faster car, no matter what you buy. If you buy an RC-F you are unlikely to be disappointed with how fast it is. Don't buy a car for bragging rights, because no one cares.
Old 12-16-16, 09:44 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Over a year into ownership now, would I buy again over the M3/4 and C63S coupe? Yes. Are there other cars I covet much more than the RCF? Absolutely, but none sub $100K.

I disagree that pricing will go up anytime soon. There's not nearly enough heritage at this time to garner the nostalgic buy. I can certainly guarantee it's not going to ever be worth MSRP+ in our lifetime if ever. They made too many of them.

I do very much agree that this thing is fast. Like many other high hp RWD vehicles, you just can't get the power down on public roads without some serious ECU intervention and I'm running 295 Pilot Sports. You're breaking the law with just a stab of the go pedal.

What retains my interest are its looks, build quality, rarity, and driving feel. It's a sporting GT coupe and it does its thing well. Lower, add wheels, and exhaust --> V8 spaceship.

Last edited by CYKBC; 12-16-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 11:49 AM
Infrared
Rookie

I disagree that pricing will go up anytime soon. There's not nearly enough heritage at this time to garner the nostalgic buy. I can certainly guarantee it's not going to ever be worth MSRP+ in our lifetime if ever.
1) No one said pricing would go up soon. Even with air-cooled Porsches, it took what, 20 years?
2) If you keep your RC-F for 20 years, I will counter your "guarantee" with one of my own: it will absolutely be a desirable collectors car.
3) I'm not suggesting that anyone buy an RC-F and keep it in a climate-controlled warehouse, but your assertion is un-grounded. You have no idea.
Old 12-16-16, 02:10 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm with you. There is NO OTHER CARS CURRENTLY OUT THERE that LOOKS as crazy and outrageous as far as its shape and contour is concerned. Not to mention the amazing sounds it's NA V8 makes. In retrospect, maybe I should have gotten the molten pearl color instead of the ultra white. Oh well, can't win them all the time. Maybe next go around. 😀😀☺😊

As all cars move toward 6, 4 cylinder FI engines or electric motors, people will miss the old NA V8. Then the RCF will be very desirable indeed. It may take a long time, but I'm enjoying it NOW! As I'm driving my RCF around in the middle of no where in America, people stop by and ask about it. My friends and coworkers are already making me offers to buy it. The nearby Lexus dealers are not really discountin much bc they don't get too many "RCF". Yes, there are plenty of RC200T and RC350 floating around, but not too many RCF.

Originally Posted by Infrared
1) No one said pricing would go up soon. Even with air-cooled Porsches, it took what, 20 years?
2) If you keep your RC-F for 20 years, I will counter your "guarantee" with one of my own: it will absolutely be a desirable collectors car.
3) I'm not suggesting that anyone buy an RC-F and keep it in a climate-controlled warehouse, but your assertion is un-grounded. You have no idea.
The following users liked this post:
shadow1118 (12-16-16)
Old 12-17-16, 04:36 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

guys i think im gonna pull the trigger within the next couple of weeks will update thread when i get it.

am i going cla 45 or rc-f ? nobody knows.....
Old 12-17-16, 06:11 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
guys i think im gonna pull the trigger within the next couple of weeks will update thread when i get it.

am i going cla 45 or rc-f ? nobody knows.....
low model mercedes or a high model lexus... two very different cars.
Old 12-17-16, 06:54 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
low model mercedes or a high model lexus... two very different cars.

technically, both are entry level models
Old 12-17-16, 06:57 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

technically, both are entry level models
no, the cl45 amg is entry level to MB. RC-F is the most powerful coupe production model of Lexus history (LFA does not count).

a brand new 2017 cl45 amg cost less than what you can find a used RC-F for. which is why OP most likely go with the cheaper MB car.
Old 12-17-16, 07:12 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
no, the cl45 amg is entry level to MB. RC-F is the most powerful coupe production model of Lexus history (LFA does not count).

a brand new 2017 cl45 amg cost less than what you can find a used RC-F for. which is why OP most likely go with the cheaper MB car.

the rc and IS are lexus entry level. The rcf is just fitted with a v8 and over at least 10k of options. Ever driven a base IS or RC 200t as rental? Pretty crappy and cheap, which compares to the fwd cla250. Cla45 amg is much more powerful awd and interior option upgrades which easily go over 60k+. Good luck try to negotiate a disount on the CLA45 amg... but RCF requires at least 15-20% discount to move units. In translation, its over priced
Old 12-17-16, 07:34 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

the rc and IS are lexus entry level. The rcf is just fitted with a v8 and over at least 10k of options. Ever driven a base IS or RC 200t as rental? Pretty crappy and cheap, which compares to the fwd cla250. Cla45 amg is much more powerful awd and interior option upgrades which easily go over 60k+. Good luck try to negotiate a disount on the CLA45 amg... but RCF requires at least 15-20% discount to move units. In translation, its over priced
what? this post makes no sense. yes I've driven almost all of lexus has to offer besides the LFA.

so the RCF is an entry level car thats just fitted with a v8? lol what?

when i said a CLA 45 AMG is entry level, i mean to the MB brand itself. It is the lowest model that is AMG. Meaning there is the S class, C class, E class, etc...

The RCF is currently the fastest coupe Lexus offers as a production run car that can be bought at the dealership and most powerful coupe in history (not including supercar status LFA)

Quick Reply: thoughts on purchasing a used rc-f