RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Turning the RC/RCF into a four-door coupe hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 06:52 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Turning the RC/RCF into a four-door coupe hatchback

Just a wild thought, but I love the way the A7/S7 looks. The stance, proportions are really pleasing to the eyes. In fact I almost bought one a mere few hours before buying this. The room in the hatchback is pretty amazing and the back seats are much more roomier than a pure coupe, not to mention the doors back there.

What if Lexus turned the RC into a four-door coupe along the same lines as Audi's A7/S7? I would be all over it.

Thats one thing Lexus lacks and frankly I think this platform would be perfect for it.

Old 12-19-16, 07:01 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

it would prob look something like that porsche panamera if lexus did a 4 door rc-f
Old 12-19-16, 09:27 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Audi is a unreliable and boring looking car. Except 2 door A5. If I want 4 door then GSF.
Old 12-19-16, 09:27 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Here's an article awhile back that was thinking the same with some rendered images

https://www.carbuzz.com/amp-article.aspx%3fy=2016&m=7&d=8&name=We-Imagine-What-5-Gorgeous-Coupes-Would-Look-Like-As-Four-Doors-7733983

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Just a wild thought, but I love the way the A7/S7 looks. The stance, proportions are really pleasing to the eyes. In fact I almost bought one a mere few hours before buying this. The room in the hatchback is pretty amazing and the back seats are much more roomier than a pure coupe, not to mention the doors back there.

What if Lexus turned the RC into a four-door coupe along the same lines as Audi's A7/S7? I would be all over it.

Thats one thing Lexus lacks and frankly I think this platform would be perfect for it.

Old 12-20-16, 04:54 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Rhambler

you mean a GSF!!!!!
Old 12-20-16, 05:13 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
it would prob look something like that porsche panamera if lexus did a 4 door rc-f
I agree... I don't know why, but for some reason I could also picture it looking similar to a Panamera..
Old 12-20-16, 05:46 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do love the look of the A7/S7/RS7 as well but for some reason I don't think it would turn out like those. I'm thinking more along the lines of the BMW 4 series gran coupe. Which isn't horrible but rather just leave it be.
Old 12-20-16, 06:05 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, how it's done is extremely important. BMW's first attempt was a disaster. Just oddly proportioned. I think they're moving in the right direction, but the A7 and Porsche Pan are the kings of the four-door coupe.

In looking at all of them, I think the most important element is how the rear is raked. Not only in angle, but, even more important imo, is the length with respect to the overall car length. Too short and it just looks weird. That's where Audi and Porsche got it right versus the others imo. Actually the CLS doesn't look bad either.

In any case, if done right, Lexus would have a winner imo.
Old 12-21-16, 06:03 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
I guess it could be Worse, but I associate 4 doors with FAMILY car! No Way i'm going 4 doors unless I can't afford a Family car & a SPORTS car together (4 door is what the wife drives) 2 door is what I DRIVE, unless of course we're going on a FAMILY Road Trip! I can't name a 4 door Sports car that i'd want to buy
Old 12-22-16, 05:26 AM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 1000%. Four door for me means not a sports car.
Old 12-22-16, 05:39 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, "sports" car is kind of a blurred line these days, and frankly rather subjective. Just because a car has four doors doesn't mean it DOESN'T fit into that category. What you may consider a sports car isn't necessarily what I may consider a sports car.

Coupe, sedan, hatchback, fastback are more defining characteristics.

Would you call an M3 sedan not a sports car, whereas the M4 is because it lacks two doors? What about the RS7?

Coupe = sports car just seems old fashioned and not applicable to the day and age of 707 HP four-door Dodge Chargers, M5, M3, Porsche Panameras, Audi S7 or RS7, etc. Those are all sports cars in my book.