RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Traded "her" in for a '16 Chevy Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 11:35 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Just to make sure (I think you already mentioned ) that the Dodge Colt and the Mitsubishi Eclipse were both "Japanese cars". Not domestic Dodge.

Now you sparked further interest for me to look at the Camaro SS trim level and above.

Originally Posted by gipsonke
You know, honestly the long term reliability is my biggest concern. You just kinda take quality for granted with Japanese cars.

Not so with domestics, I guess for good reason? The longest running car I ever had was my college 1986 Dodge Colt (MITSUBISHI Mirage). 300K+ miles....on the ORIGINAL Engine!!! That little car took several of my nieces and nephews through college. Incredible. My Mitsu Eclipse is still going strong, 200k+ miles.

So with the Camaro...we'll see. Initial quality is good. Paint, fit and finish, but again, it's only got 4k miles on it. Means nothing. I do think that people don't realize the amenities that come with (admittedly) the fully loaded SS.
hot/cool seats (that you can really FEEL)
HUD!
Bose sound system
Back up camera
Full navigation with voice recognition
Great seats
24 color interior footwell/accent lighting
Auto pivoting mirrrors
Heated steering wheel
Apple / Android phone integration
phone CHARGING platform on center console
Mobile WiFi hotspot (up to 8 devices)
On-Star concierge/telematics services (GM invented this)
Brembo brakes
LAUNCH CONTROL
HID lights

This car is very nicely appointed.
A poster mentioned a "rent a car" interior, it is FAR from that.

My intent is NOT to try to "rag" on Lexus/RCF. Nope. I've got nothing but positive comments for Toyota, etc. But I do want to clear up some misconceptions about the Camaro, as well as provide insight into my thought process, motivations in this matter.

Finally, regardless of the past, GM is actually catching up on quality according to the revered JD Powers survey. They've already passed HONDA!

http://www.fool.com/amp/investing/general/2015/07/07/youll-never-believe-who-just-beat-honda-in-quality.aspx

IF the majority of the Club Lexus forum membership is interested, this former Lexus owner is willing to provide occasional updates in the future on my long term experiences with my new Camaro SS? If not, that's fine too. No hard feelings. I really don't wanna get FLAMED for posting here.

Regards,

Keith

Old 12-31-16, 01:51 PM
gipsonke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Japanese cars

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Just to make sure (I think you already mentioned ) that the Dodge Colt and the Mitsubishi Eclipse were both "Japanese cars". Not domestic Dodge.

Now you sparked further interest for me to look at the Camaro SS trim level and above.
Yes. They were foreign-manufactured cars, marketed as domestic. Same with my "Ford" Capri. It was actually made in Germany. That car was also engineered well - and the quality was high.

There were some interesting options for foreign Japanese cars sold by Dodge especially, the Starion (Turbo), Colt/Mirage, Eagle Talon/Eclipse, etc.
Old 12-31-16, 07:24 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes. They were foreign-manufactured cars, marketed as domestic. Same with my "Ford" Capri. It was actually made in Germany. That car was also engineered well - and the quality was high.

There were some interesting options for foreign Japanese cars sold by Dodge especially, the Starion (Turbo), Colt/Mirage, Eagle Talon/Eclipse, etc.
I really liked the later model, wide bodied Dodge Conquest. That was a fun car to drive.
Old 01-01-17, 12:58 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

There was that Mitsubishi 3000GT. It looked wide and low and ready to go.

Originally Posted by DougHII
I really liked the later model, wide bodied Dodge Conquest. That was a fun car to drive.
Old 01-01-17, 08:24 AM
newskater
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, "Robin" and I broke up (my '15 USB RCF)

Traded her in for a new (slightly used) 2016 Chevy Camaro SS

I would've never thought about it...never even looked at the Gen 6 Camaro. As a matter of fact, I was actually at the Chevy dealer with my 24 year old son, Keith Jr.,
and we were checking it out. It's fully loaded. 6.2L V-8. 455 HP/455 Ft.Lbs. Torque. 0-60 4 secs. $38K!
The SS was less than what I put down on my RC?!

I was shocked at how similar it drove, felt compared to the Lexus. All that and more - except a bit less refined (more loud and obnoxious?) - which I actually like

All of the amenities - Heated/Cool seats, decent sound, RECARO seats, etc.

Anyway - I had a blast with my RCF in the two years that I had her. It was also much more of a pleasure to get the opportunity to meet some of you guys at
the Escondido meet this past year!

Keith Gipson - signing out!
Sounds like a good deal. You drive in with your RCF, and drive out with a new Camaro, plus 17K to play!
Old 01-01-17, 02:45 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
Old 01-01-17, 03:14 PM
rfugio68
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
ok ill bite, i truly do not understand why if you wanted more power you didnt go to the m4
Because if power is the goal you're much better off with an ss; Procharger, cam and headers will get you 650-800 wheel for a total cost of 40kish including the car. I've driven M4's, the interior isn't particularly nice, they sound horrible no matter what exhaust you use and they're not even fast even with full bolt ons.

I bought the RCF knowing that besides exhaust you won't be able to squeeze anymore power out of it. It's super comfortable and moves quick but it's not raw, after getting home from work I can't wait to get in the Shelby and go somewhere. Likewise after traffic in the Shelby I can't wait to get in the RCF. Yes American cars have a plastic interior, but getting pushed back with 700+ wheel horsepower is addicting. Not to mention 99% of the cars you'll encounter can't keep up, including fbo e85 GTR's and most exotics. M4's are literally a joke in the power department 😉.
Old 01-01-17, 03:21 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why would someone get an M4 if the focus was power. Could get a ZL1 with 650 hp for $61k if someone didnt want to do the aftermarket route. You can get Roush supercharged Mustang GTs for $39995
Old 01-01-17, 03:23 PM
rfugio68
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default American car reliability

Also I forgot to add, I don't quite understand why reliability is an "issue" with American cars.

Here is a list of American cars that I had, minimal issues on each.
-2000 Camaro SS 128k Miles Heads/Cam. Window motor issues.
-2005 RST Silverado 70k miles Boosted/Cam 0 issues
-2004 RST Silverado 170k miles Cammed 0 issues
-2001 Trans am WS6 140k miles bolt on window motor issues.
-2002 Camaro SS 30k miles 0 issues
-2001 GMC Sierra 80k miles Cammed 6.0, trans issues(too much power)
-2012 Mustang 5.0 87k miles, trans issues.
-2010 Shelby GT500 70k Miles. 0 issues.
Old 01-01-17, 03:49 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

This comparison should not even be a debate.. Congrats on your new purchase and again to each his own..
The following users liked this post:
gipsonke (01-02-17)
Old 01-01-17, 05:42 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Default Crash test of 2016 American Muscle Cars, including the Camaro

Good to know that during testing of the American Muscle Cars, Camaro did well:

" "The Camaro's safety cage is built to resist intrusion in a small overlap crash, and that's good news for Camaro drivers," Lund says.

But Camaro's roof only got the "A" (acceptable) rating versus the RC's "G" (good, top rating).

Please see the link:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...of-performance

Here are the break downs of each of the three major American Muscle Cars in crash tests (2016):

How 2016 sports cars rate in IIHS evaluationsSmall overlap frontModerate overlap frontSideRoof strengthHead restraints & seatsFront crash preventionChevrolet Camaro
G

G

G

A

G
Not
availableFord Mustang
A

G

G

G

G

BASICDodge Challenger
M

G

G

A

A

BASIC
G
GOOD
A
ACCEPTABLE
M
MARGINAL
P
POOR
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Versus the "RC" (2015 test):
Crashworthiness
  • Small overlap front
    G

• Moderate overlap front
    G

• Side
    G

• Roof strength
    G

• Head restraints & seats
    G

Crash avoidance & Mitigation
Front crash prevention

Advanced

with optional
equipment

Child Seat Anchors (LATCH)
ease of use
M

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-01-17 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 08:44 PM
gipsonke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE on Camaro SS and USB RCF

Well that was fun while it lasted...
Had the Camaro SS for about a year. Loved it!!!
My son was totaled it on the freeway late one night. Fortunately, and the most important thing is he's okay.

My experience was, at least in L.A., MANY guys out there wanting to RACE me driving the Camaro SS. It's like I had a "let's run it!" sign on the back/side.

I traded in the SS for a used Cadillac CTS (not the V).

Didn't like it.

So I'm taking delivery on my 4th car in as many years.

A 2017 INFINITI Q60.

Saw it at the L. A. Auto show a couple of weeks ago.

Beautiful car. The blue kinda reminds me of my Ultra SonicBlue RCF.

Anyway... Excited to get this one. I'll try this out. ECU unlocked so MANY after market items/tunes available.

One of these days I'll settle down with these cars, hopefully this one will be the one for a while!

Infiniti Q60

Camaro SS in the tow yard. All air bags deployed. Son is okay though, that's the important thing

No salvage here. Electronic suspension, etc. Messed up beyond all repair.

Tried the Caddy CTS. Same GM Alpha platform as the Camaro. But I got the V6 and not the BIG V8! That's what I miss the most about the RCF and SS... Nothing like big V8 power.

Nice lines on the Caddy!

Here's the latest. She arrives in two days! Infiniti Q60
Old 12-17-18, 05:09 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll have to post how it stacks up with the RC. I briefly considered one, but never test drove one for reasons I honestly can't remember.
Old 12-17-18, 02:53 PM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A tune really wakes those Q50/Q60s with the V6 TT. My friend recently did a tune + fuel system. Car is tuned for 93 and E85. On 93 it just as fast as the RC F. Faster from a dig. He hasn't put E85 in due to the winter blend up here in Michigan. He expects to gain 120+whp on E85 over is his 93 tune. Even more torque. Not sure what he is making right now on 93 but it is a deceptively fast car.
Old 12-17-18, 03:14 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah - so far so good. My biggest concern was the ride quality. Took it on a trip up north (7 hours) and it was pretty good. Those Recaro seats are very comfortable.
So far the only complaint I have is the visibility - the top has that "Camaro chop" to it - but they did address it somewhat in the Gen 6 (previous ones were really bad)

First mod is a super-charger (either Procharger or Magnuson, haven't made up my mind yet). +150 HP. The car is already "torquey" as hell.
I especially like the TONS of very affordable, tried and true after-market parts. Plus - it's a Chevy, so working on it is going to be a piece of cake.

Admittedly - another concern is Quality/Reliability down the line. I mean - my RCF was a (Toyota) Lexus. How much more solid can you get?

But that's offset by the "bang for the buck", lower maintenance, insurance, car payment, etc. So far I don't feel that I've given up that much with the trade.

Added benefit is that this car is decidedly kicking the crap out the BMW M4 in terms of value/performance. Not that I place much on the car reviews - but again, at $38K out the door, the
value is hard to beat. Will be taking her out to Willow in the summer to compare to my old RC.

Best wishes!
Yes, other cars (besides Lexus) have so much more options on after market parts and accessories that give so much more power.

Quick Reply: Traded "her" in for a '16 Chevy Camaro SS