RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

LED Bulbs Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 02:15 PM
RCFNN
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

has anyone changed the front white led blinkers to yellow?
Old 11-15-20, 07:27 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 770 Likes on 479 Posts

Would these work for the rear turn signals on a 2020? The front by default has LED turn signals but lexus never changed the rears which seems odd. Would these bulbs work you think or cause hyper flash since the default turn signals up front are leds?

-Nigel
Old 11-16-20, 10:14 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Would these work for the rear turn signals on a 2020? The front by default has LED turn signals but lexus never changed the rears which seems odd. Would these bulbs work you think or cause hyper flash since the default turn signals up front are leds?

-Nigel
Our LED Turn Signal Bulbs will work with the 2020 model. However, with all LED turn signal bulb replacement, we recommend installing resistors to prevent hyper flashing.

-Collin
Old 11-17-20, 03:09 PM
RC350s
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

-Nigel
I have the same new integrated front LED signals. I dont know about the higher lumen versions but I had the front/amber (HP48) ones left over from my 2017 so I tried them in the new tailights, and they work just fine without resistors and no hyperflash: HP48 - https://www.diodedynamics.com/front-...s-rc-pair.html

(plug n play with no resistors and no hyperflash only works in the 2019+ RCs and 2020+ RCFs with the refreshed headlights/tailights)
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (11-17-20)
Old 11-17-20, 08:39 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by RC350s
I have the same new integrated front LED signals. I dont know about the higher lumen versions but I had the front/amber (HP48) ones left over from my 2017 so I tried them in the new tailights, and they work just fine without resistors and no hyperflash: HP48 - https://www.diodedynamics.com/front-...s-rc-pair.html

(plug n play with no resistors and no hyperflash only works in the 2019+ RCs and 2020+ RCFs with the refreshed headlights/tailights)
You rock! Awesome! Thank you, I will be getting them then!

Why on earth did Lexus/Toyota NOT make the rear turn signal an led?! Seriously The rear reverse, brake,tail, trunk lights, all led. Entire front headlights, all led. Would it have been hard to make a 4 led board for the rear!? Seems like it would be almost common sense.

EDIT: Looks like the rear turn signal is a 7440/7443 bulb! That's the same LED bulb I just put in our Solara for the fronts/rears. I'll be taking that led bulb out and seeing if it works or gets hyper flash.
Looks like this:

I've got nothing against diode dynamics at all. I just bought their tap turn signal relay for the solara and it works great. I just much prefer Vleds style and look for their leds. Plus the warranty is the same and they are insanely bright. I'll post an update here shortly and see if those hyper flash. IF they do, then I will get the diode dynamics posted above, if not, I'll be ordering vleds pictured.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 11-17-20 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-18-20, 09:53 AM
RC350s
Driver

You rock! Awesome! Thank you, I will be getting them then!

Why on earth did Lexus/Toyota NOT make the rear turn signal an led?! Seriously The rear reverse, brake,tail, trunk lights, all led. Entire front headlights, all led. Would it have been hard to make a 4 led board for the rear!? Seems like it would be almost common sense.

EDIT: Looks like the rear turn signal is a 7440/7443 bulb! That's the same LED bulb I just put in our Solara for the fronts/rears. I'll be taking that led bulb out and seeing if it works or gets hyper flash.
Looks like this:

I've got nothing against diode dynamics at all. I just bought their tap turn signal relay for the solara and it works great. I just much prefer Vleds style and look for their leds. Plus the warranty is the same and they are insanely bright. I'll post an update here shortly and see if those hyper flash. IF they do, then I will get the diode dynamics posted above, if not, I'll be ordering vleds pictured.

-Nigel
Yeah, why Lexus didnt just make them all LED is beyond me... It was the first mod I did, and its super easy. Great that you already had some VLeds 7440 bulbs. And definitely report back on if they work normally without resistors. Cheers
Old 11-20-20, 07:37 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

I just did the one side wth the VLEDs I have. I took a crappy video that I'll upload to youtube and put here.

So far so good!

Driver side LED: Passenger normal bulb. Sorry for the crappy quality. But you can see the instant on/off on the driver compared to the normal bulb on the passenger side.

These rear taillight tab things in the trunk are a pita to remove. I can't figure out how to remove them with out breaking the inner corner clip...so annoying.

UPDATE: Both in. See pictures of the bulb/taillight. Looks good. (Pandora was playing on my computer, sorry for ODB's language...lol)

Just the driver side with the car on (not running), and lights on in the garage. I have roughly 25,000 lumens of overhead lighting in a small 2 car garage and you can still clearly see the rear turn signal. I am happy with the results. Now i have to order new turns signals for the Solara since I took these out of the rear of it...lol

Pics:

Should have come from the factory with LEDS! Oh well, I'm happy now, so happy this works and no hyper flash. Although I didn't think there would be hyperflash due to the entire front headlights being leds, and mirror leds... Figure they accounted for the LED draw and not depended on the rear bulb to provide the correct draw for the entire system. Which is great!

Hope this helps anyone with the updated look.

-Nigel
The following 2 users liked this post by nigel821:
mistermatt (05-24-21), RC350s (11-20-20)
Old 11-20-20, 09:02 PM
RC350s
Driver

Should have come from the factory with LEDS! Oh well, I'm happy now, so happy this works and no hyper flash. Although I didn't think there would be hyperflash due to the entire front headlights being leds, and mirror leds... Figure they accounted for the LED draw and not depended on the rear bulb to provide the correct draw for the entire system. Which is great!

-Nigel
Good to hear. They look great!
Old 05-24-21, 06:52 PM
mistermatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m having a tough time figuring out how to remove the outer taillight portion to change my signals to LED (like you did). It was easy on my 2015 RC. But it’s not the same on my 2019 RC.

How did you remove those black plastic tabs coving the 2 bolts for the outer taillight? Thank you!

I just did the one side wth the VLEDs I have. I took a crappy video that I'll upload to youtube and put here.

So far so good!

Driver side LED: Passenger normal bulb. Sorry for the crappy quality. But you can see the instant on/off on the driver compared to the normal bulb on the passenger side.
Driver rear tail light LED

These rear taillight tab things in the trunk are a pita to remove. I can't figure out how to remove them with out breaking the inner corner clip...so annoying.

UPDATE: Both in. See pictures of the bulb/taillight. Looks good. (Pandora was playing on my computer, sorry for ODB's language...lol)
RFC Tail lights LED turn signals

Just the driver side with the car on (not running), and lights on in the garage. I have roughly 25,000 lumens of overhead lighting in a small 2 car garage and you can still clearly see the rear turn signal. I am happy with the results. Now i have to order new turns signals for the Solara since I took these out of the rear of it...lol
Garage lights on, rear passenger turns signal with car on (not running)

Pics:

-Nigel
Old 05-25-21, 08:47 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by mistermatt
I’m having a tough time figuring out how to remove the outer taillight portion to change my signals to LED (like you did). It was easy on my 2015 RC. But it’s not the same on my 2019 RC.

How did you remove those black plastic tabs coving the 2 bolts for the outer taillight? Thank you!

Here you go, from the user's manual. Super easy to do, should take like 30 seconds. Just make sure you put masking tape around the rear light so when you pull it you don't end up chipping the paint.

-Nigel
mistermatt (05-25-21)
Old 05-25-21, 08:49 AM
mistermatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Never mind, I figured it out. Took my time messing around with them and figured out the technique. Just gotta stick a flathead screwdriver (as shown in the pic) and pull the tab toward you. I changed my signal bulbs to LED red colour, looks cool! No resistor needed, I got error-free bulbs on Amazon.

nigel821 (05-27-21)
Old 05-25-21, 08:55 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermatt
Never mind, I figured it out. Took my time messing around with them and figured out the technique. Just gotta stick a flathead screwdriver (as shown in the pic) and pull the tab toward you. I changed my signal bulbs to LED red colour, looks cool! No resistor needed, I got error-free bulbs on Amazon.

99% of the battle is knowing where to pry, and which way to pull.