RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Best Intake pipe for the RCF ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 03:23 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFNN
ya bro i sold my takeda bc i felt power loss too i just put on a full invidia mid pipe cat back sounds dope asf i just dont like the stock airbox look or sound and the flapper it has
what does just changing the tube do?
smooths out the flow. But what kind of intake sound are you expecting from an NA engine ? Our sound comes from a solid cat back choice..
Old 05-06-21, 03:33 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

Yeah I've read on multiple occasions changing out the intake does actually lose power. Which would make perfect sense in the regard that Lexus designed the air intake as a dual system, So by eliminating the secondary intake you're changing things even if people don't want to believe without a tune or properly adjusting things it's probably going to be slightly less power.

I'm almost 150% sure that Lexus engineers design this in the way that is superior to aftermarket manufacturers that just want to sell intakes...

With that being said changing out the intake tube is purely for looks.
I'm guilty of it I wanted a little bit of carbon fiber in the engine base so I bought a Tom's intake tube. Looks really good and I got the RR racing heat shield even though that probably doesn't do anything It's just a little bit of carbon fiber in the engine bay. Both pieces are sitting in the trunk eventually I'll install them when I get my exhaust and other items.

-Nigel

The following 2 users liked this post by nigel821:
cvt (05-07-21), RRRacing (05-07-21)
Old 05-06-21, 03:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

I have Invidia and AFE Power CAI. I might be in the minority, but honestly I don't feel power loss. I have a reference of how loss feels like with the flap kept open on OEM box. This feels nothing like that. I also have the wet Takeda, though which has a higher flow rate. There is a very nice growl in the midrange I really like under load. Also, I feel the midrange is peppier/torquier. Cannot say much at the top rpm as the exhaust really dominates at high rpm.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-06-21 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-08-21, 08:02 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I have Invidia and AFE Power CAI. I might be in the minority, but honestly I don't feel power loss. I have a reference of how loss feels like with the flap kept open on OEM box. This feels nothing like that. I also have the wet Takeda, though which has a higher flow rate. There is a very nice growl in the midrange I really like under load. Also, I feel the midrange is peppier/torquier. Cannot say much at the top rpm as the exhaust really dominates at high rpm.
Have you done a before and after dyno of your car?
Old 05-08-21, 08:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 504GSF
Have you done a before and after dyno of your car?
No. Everyone is talking about how it feels. I am expressing what my impressions are. Definitely no power loss especially since I have experienced loss in torque previously when the intake flap was disconnected (always open). Nothing like that.
Old 05-08-21, 09:07 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
No. Everyone is talking about how it feels. I am expressing what my impressions are. Definitely no power loss especially since I have experienced loss in torque previously when the intake flap was disconnected (always open). Nothing like that.
I have a friend that just took off his AFE intake and replaced it with a RR Racing carbon elbow and k&n filter. He didn’t say he felt a power loss, he just didn’t like the fitment of the air box.

i was just asking about the power thing because you really won’t feel a 5 whp loss or gain, but the placebo of noise will make you think gains are there that aren’t. Like when I dyno’d my car after installing the headers and seeing a dip of like 18wtq, even though I honestly didn’t feel it.

I had draggy data that showed the car seemed to be less efficient down low in my 60-130 pulls but it made the difference up in the higher rpms to where it still was faster than before the install.

But i also picked up 3whp and 10 or 11wtq from just adding a HPS silicone intake pipe. Didn’t feel a difference on that either honestly. But it was there when I dyno’d the car.
Old 05-08-21, 09:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 504GSF
I have a friend that just took off his AFE intake and replaced it with a RR Racing carbon elbow and k&n filter. He didn’t say he felt a power loss, he just didn’t like the fitment of the air box.

i was just asking about the power thing because you really won’t feel a 5 whp loss or gain, but the placebo of noise will make you think gains are there that aren’t. Like when I dyno’d my car after installing the headers and seeing a dip of like 18wtq, even though I honestly didn’t feel it.

I had draggy data that showed the car seemed to be less efficient down low in my 60-130 pulls but it made the difference up in the higher rpms to where it still was faster than before the install.

But i also picked up 3whp and 10 or 11wtq from just adding a HPS silicone intake pipe. Didn’t feel a difference on that either honestly. But it was there when I dyno’d the car.
Yeah. you are right. I have seen your before/after dynos. I agree I would probably not be able to tell much. It might be around +4 or +5 whp maybe. The conical oiled filter generates quite a lot of growl, which is what I like a lot. Also, Lexus redesigned the filter/pipe in the 2020+ RCF to pick up another 5 HP so definitely there is some room for tiny gains. The two mods that really gave very significant perceptible gains were the Invidia full exhaust and the PS4S XL tires. Both of these were eye openers.

When I first put the intake on, the car felt more eager to rev quicker in the midranges. However, similar to the 30 lbs weight reduction with the antigravity battery from the front is not very noticeable even in hard transitions. Though, it is there. I am also considering buying RaceBox and doing some runs.

The SprintBooster is very interesting. It does not give you any additional power, but it gets the weight moving faster initially by making more power available sooner. That is similar to how light flywheel creates the illusion of much higher torque. Mind always thinks about how fast the weight is going to start moving, which is what the perception of torque is. I feel less need to downshift to 2nd a lot of times coming out of slower turns. It gives you the impression that you suddenly picked up another 10 - 15 HP as the car "feels" much lighter.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-08-21 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 09:10 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by LoSt180
I've noticed all pictures of this are post install, I removed the cover and took some pics below. Should hopefully show the parts that need to be moved around.

Some trimming is needed to allow air to be sucked in from under the fender cover. I mounted the cover, traced a line on the trim with a pencil, and used a sharp knife to cut it as needed. Don't see it all when cover is in place.

Pic of moved horn and vacuum solenoid. I also cut the wiring harness loose to allow it to be re-routed easier, taped it into place once down to keep everything neat. You may need to lift that side of the car to get the nut on the back of the horn, there's a factory hole that is used.

Better view of trimming needed on the plastic cover area.

Here's the shape of the cover, showing why the notch is needed for best results.

Everything buttoned up.

Thank you for the pictures!! This helps greatly. I was going to install this tonight but going to end up going ot the auto parts store since the hose that is included in the kit is not the correct inner diameter... Seems weird you'd not get the right size for what it cost but oh well..

My main question is where is this hose going to? It said the top of the air box but as I trace the hose down it looks to go all the way down to the bottom of the air box which I can not reach? How do we access it?

EDIT: For anyone that this might help in sourcing the correct hoess. I did find and trace where the arrow'ed hose is. Not an issue. As stated above the hose provided in the kit is wrong. The inner diameter is too small.

These are OEM Toyota Part numbers for the vacuum hoses in various sizes:
90999-92003 $2.82 600mm

90999-92004 $14.68 950mm

90999-92006 $29.36 1300mm

90999-92007 $40.28 1650mm

90999-92008 $57.26 2600mm

I ordered the 90999-92006 Toyota hose and should have it Tuesday. I will post an update once I get it. Something about having OEM parts just appeals to me.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 09-18-21 at 06:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
isfree (08-04-24)