RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Hopefully New Member of RC F

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 06:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

All the CF from Lexus factory are REAL. I don't have TVD/CF performance package on my RCF. The $5k can be used elsewhere way better for me. I have pretty much every other options, including the ML sound system. Ultra White looks great. If I didn't have Ultra White, next choice would have been Ultrasonic Blue. Although the red looks good too. The molten orange is too much attention for me.

The CF roof and the CF active rear wing are made at the same machine that weaved the CF for the LFA. If you ever damaged the CF roof, the cost of replacement is around $15K!! There is an optional Lexus factory CF hood in non-USA markets that goes for $12K+.

So, yeah if it came from Lexus factory, it is REAL. But if it is a dealer aftermarket wrap, then it is not real CF, but just a vinyl wrap.

Originally Posted by RCF100
I've heard various people, including a couple at a lexus dealer, state that the carbon fiber roof/spoiler were not real carbon fiber. Has anyone tested/removed the pieces to make sure? Sounds like the package is basically paying for the TVD and the carbon is just a nice visual treat to lure you in lol
Old 02-10-17, 07:19 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I deleted this post.

Last edited by Davew77; 02-11-17 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Misinformation
Old 02-10-17, 08:04 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I see. I'm happy to say that I'm not an engineer!!! LOL.

So which car maker do it with 100℅ CF? If even exist at all?

What I was trying to convey is the aftermarket vinyl looking fake CF some dealers trying to pass of as the "real CF".

So it's somewhat like McDonald and Taco Bell saying it's beef is 100℅ beef. But in the case if Taco Bell, it's beef contains literally "saw dust" which is allowed per FDA up to a certain percentage. Over the years, Taco Bell had reduced it's "saw dust" percentage content due to people complaining. I guess too much fiber!!! LOL.😃😃😃

Sure, it's all 100% CF.

Originally Posted by Davew77
Lexus states that the roof and spoiler are "carbon fiber reinforced plastic." So they are real carbon fiber laid on plastic. But they are not 100% carbon fiber. The LFA employed the same techniques of carbon fiber reinforced plastic.

Edit:
http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/0...eaving-machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DLr8qHliI
Old 02-11-17, 12:34 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I see. I'm happy to say that I'm not an engineer!!! LOL.

So which car maker do it with 100℅ CF? If even exist at all?

What I was trying to convey is the aftermarket vinyl looking fake CF some dealers trying to pass of as the "real CF".

So it's somewhat like McDonald and Taco Bell saying it's beef is 100℅ beef. But in the case if Taco Bell, it's beef contains literally "saw dust" which is allowed per FDA up to a certain percentage. Over the years, Taco Bell had reduced it's "saw dust" percentage content due to people complaining. I guess too much fiber!!! LOL.������

Sure, it's all 100% CF.
Where's the beef?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon...forced_polymer

I was misinformed. CFRP is how all carbon fiber parts are made. I thought some of the carbon fibers were replaced with plastic fibers in CFRP. I wasn't aware that the epoxy (resin) which binds it all together was the actual plastic. So the Lexus parts are as pure as any other parts. Someone here at work schooled me.

Sorry for the confusion. I edited my previous posts. I don't like spreading misinformation...

Last edited by Davew77; 02-11-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 02:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I figured if the RCF carbon parts are weaved at the factory in Japan by the same machine that weaved the LFA's CF, it is good enough for me. 😁😀😁😃

On the other hand, the aftermarket fake vinyl CF installed at the dealership is a different story.

There is a nice looking 2017 green mean monster sick looking RCF all decked out for sale at Lexus Carlsbad in SoCal for around $95k and change, if I remember correctly. The aftermarket dealer installed vinyl fake CF wrap alone was at $8.9k!!!! OMG FOR FAKE VINYL CF WRAP!! If I paid this much for the fake vinyl CF wrap, it better have lifetime warranty!!!

Originally Posted by Davew77
Where's the beef?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon...forced_polymer

I was misinformed. CFRP is how all carbon fiber parts are made. I thought some of the carbon fibers were replaced with plastic fibers in CFRP. I wasn't aware that the epoxy (resin) which binds it all together was the actual plastic. So the Lexus parts are as pure as any other parts. Someone here at work schooled me.

Sorry for the confusion. I edited my previous posts. I don't like spreading misinformation...

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-11-17 at 02:52 PM.