RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Real or Synthetic Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 10:12 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Rick, I'm pretty sure your dealer is putting 0W20 in your engine. oh lol these dealers continue to crack me up.

edit: don't do oil analysis at 1am! Well your oil is actually doing fine, your dealers just been putting 0W20, this oil is not sheering. There would have been other indicators if this was a 5W30 that was sheering. Black stone should have picked up on this, I have no idea how they didn't.

further edit blackstone: "your specific engine seems to sheer the oil a bit, but honestly there's nothing wrong with that. It's typically harmless."
Wait, did they really just say there's nothing wrong with that? This is a guys $13,000 engine. I'd be highly concerned if it was sheering the oil. There's easy indicators in this sample it wasn't sheering and was just the wrong viscosity without even looking at viscosity.
Then the comment of the TBN really gets me. This oil started with 7.9 from what Lexus Service provided us in an e-mail. This base has taken a huge hit over 5K. and goes back to what I was saying, some oils start with 20 and sheer to 2, some start with 7 and sheer to 5. The strength of the base stock can not be measured by BN, you need FTIR to accurately gauge life.

And then the dealer is telling me that they wouldn't put synthetic oil in this RC-F yet they put a synthetic blend of 0W20/5W20 in Rick's car.

Last edited by danielTRLK; 06-12-17 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rjmalm (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 12:44 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just talked to Lexus mechanic that does my service and he said "I always used the CAM2 5W20 Blend from New West Oil called Ultra". I trust this guy and he has done my service for years and years. I just never asked the name of the manufacturer, brand, and weight/specs of the oil they were using. I assumed they were using the RC-F user manual recommended 5W30 nonsynthetic, but instead, it was 5W20 and a blend not conventional 5W30 that they used. Service Mgr says this oil was approved by Lexus.
They did use the standard Lexus oil filter.

I plan to change to a WIX filter. Maybe 57041XP since Daniel says its better than the non XP style 57310 which is what WIX recommended and will try M1EP after another 4.5k miles based on Daniel's recommendations and see how the insoluble % number improves.

Specs or the CAM2 oil and the 3 Blackstone reports are attached.

WIX info from an email to they support said:The" 57310 has the finer filtering, the XP has the tougher media for longevity.
Use the 57130 for RC-F. WIX Premium Oil Filters provide excellent engine protection using conventional and synthetic (when recommended by the OE vehicle manufacturer) motor oil for normal and severe driving conditions such as dirt roads, construction sites , stop-and-go traffic, short trips, interstate travel, throughout the OE manufacturers recommended oil and filter change interval. When applicable, WIX silicone anti-drain back valve protects against dry engine starts past the traditional oil filter change interval. WIX filters are recommended for OEM oil and filter change intervals. Laboratory Test Performance per ISO-4548-12: 18 grams of dirt, up to 50% more than Protec, 99% efficient at 23 microns based on 51515 , 51356 and 57060.
WIX XP Oil filters use synthetic media and provide robust engine protection when using synthetic motor oil for extreme driving conditions such as towing, extreme idle time, lower gear mountainous climbs, long periods at highway speeds and extreme cold throughout the OE manufacturer’s recommended oil and filter change interval.
A specifically formulated gasket provides an excellent seal during extreme cold engine starts and resists hardening under elevated oil temperatures."

Sidebar: Danial also recommended staying with the Shell Nitro gas which I always use.
Attached Thumbnails Real or Synthetic Oil....-blackstone-3-tests-on-rc-f.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PDS Syn-Blend Motor Oil.pdf (83.7 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by rjmalm; 06-18-17 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-12-17, 01:10 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Wink

Never trust anyone to service your car at a Dealership...

Unless you're Literally Standing Over the serving technician shoulder and seeing what's being done and going inside your car...

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Just talked to Lexus would does my service. Always used the 5W20
lobuxracer (06-19-17)
Old 06-18-17, 12:59 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Repeated post -
I think a lot of people on this forum are very keen on keeping their vehicles in top shape, after all, most of us want to hit redline repeatly without suffering a power loss over time for doing so. I can't say why, at least not yet, but for this week (from 6/18/2017 between 4:30PMCST on 6/23/2017) I can offer everyone who asks a free oil analysis kit. You can use this to confirm wear, test blackstone or just pee in a cup and see if you're made of iron. Just e-mail me, daniel@tribologik.com. I need some kind of name, not a username, an address to ship to, an e-mail address and a phone number. The free samples do not have to be returned within any time frame. Once they are shipped out, they are good for life, keep them in your garage or where ever. Consider it a father's day gift for everyone on CL(I always think Craigslist is e-mailing me lol).

Daniel Mackey
123 Great Street
Schaumburg, Il. 60173
Daniel@yahoo.com
630-000-1234
The following 10 users liked this post by danielTRLK:
16GSF00336 (06-18-17), 4TehNguyen (06-18-17), BossMoss (06-18-17), ISFPOWER (06-18-17), JT2MA71 (06-18-17), Leander311 (06-19-17), lobuxracer (06-19-17), MGallagher (08-21-18), Mingofish (06-19-17), rjmalm (06-18-17) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-19-17, 07:58 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
Repeated post -
I think a lot of people on this forum are very keen on keeping their vehicles in top shape, after all, most of us want to hit redline repeatly without suffering a power loss over time for doing so. I can't say why, at least not yet, but for this week (from 6/18/2017 between 4:30PMCST on 6/23/2017) I can offer everyone who asks a free oil analysis kit. You can use this to confirm wear, test blackstone or just pee in a cup and see if you're made of iron. Just e-mail me, daniel@tribologik.com. I need some kind of name, not a username, an address to ship to, an e-mail address and a phone number. The free samples do not have to be returned within any time frame. Once they are shipped out, they are good for life, keep them in your garage or where ever. Consider it a father's day gift for everyone on CL(I always think Craigslist is e-mailing me lol).

Daniel Mackey
123 Great Street
Schaumburg, Il. 60173
Daniel@yahoo.com
630-000-1234
Very kind and generous offer, Daniel. Emailed you. I'll also be taking your advice trying M1EP and then RLI after putting a ~5k OCI on whatever synthetic Lexus of Grapevine (TX) used just before my purchase of a 2011 IS-F.

One question. I've seen you recommend Shell gas, which I've historically striven to use as well in my IS350, but having just purchased the F, I'm curious if the Costco juice will suffice given its Top Tier designation. They're pretty proud of the stuff, and with ~$10 savings at each fill-up, the savings really adds up: https://www.costcoauto.com/automotiv...gas_nozip.aspx
Old 06-19-17, 08:18 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I see these type of threads in every car forum. A bunch of armchair oil Einsteins pontificating about everything here nor there with absolutely zero net value.

I just bring two jugs 10 quarts worth of Mobil 1 fully synthetic every 5K. Tell my trusty Lexus SA the oil's in the trunk, get me a loaner and see you in a jiffy. The end. HAND.
Old 06-19-17, 08:45 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ROK
I see these type of threads in every car forum. A bunch of armchair oil Einsteins pontificating about everything here nor there with absolutely zero net value.

I just bring two jugs 10 quarts worth of Mobil 1 fully synthetic every 5K. Tell my trusty Lexus SA the oil's in the trunk, get me a loaner and see you in a jiffy. The end. HAND.
The difference here is an oil professional who is close to Terry Dyson lending free, expert advice. If Daniel is an "armchair oil Einstein", I shudder to think what metaphor appropriately accompanies your two cents.

Here's two of mine... I've historically used your same approach, but at a Toyota dealership instead... $16 vs. over $100 for the same service at Lexus?! No brainer!!
danielTRLK (06-19-17)
Old 06-19-17, 09:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK

Originally Posted by Leander311
The difference here is an oil professional who is close to Terry Dyson lending free, expert advice. If Daniel is an "armchair oil Einstein", I shudder to think what metaphor appropriately accompanies your two cents.

Here's two of mine... I've historically used your same approach, but at a Toyota dealership instead... $16 vs. over $100 for the same service at Lexus?! No brainer!!
You are both assuming they actually put your oil in the engine. I took my Supra to Toyota with 6 quarts of Red Line 10w-30. They kept my oil and put in their standard Pennzoil. I had varnish in less than 5k miles where there was absolutely none before over 110k miles of using Red Line exclusively with me changing the oil. They thought I would never know the difference. Most owners wouldn't, and if you're not performing UOAs, they could easily have been keeping your oil for their cars and giving you whatever their standard fill is.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
16GSF00336 (06-19-17), danielTRLK (06-19-17)
Old 06-19-17, 09:52 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You are both assuming they actually put your oil in the engine. I took my Supra to Toyota with 6 quarts of Red Line 10w-30. They kept my oil and put in their standard Pennzoil. I had varnish in less than 5k miles where there was absolutely none before over 110k miles of using Red Line exclusively with me changing the oil. They thought I would never know the difference. Most owners wouldn't, and if you're not performing UOAs, they could easily have been keeping your oil for their cars and giving you whatever their standard fill is.
Ugh... that's awful. There is certainly that possibility... though my UOA's have always been indicative of my provided oil.
Old 06-19-17, 09:57 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your favorite chef might actually be mixing his organic phlegm to your to die for pasta dish with that incredible cream sauce. Your significant other of many years might also be considering putting you n rotation or had you on rotation in the past.

For some or many of us, we actually have a life and understand to live a good life, you don't have time to control everything. Get a life is my best advice because what you're arguing is an entirely different topic.
Old 06-19-17, 10:13 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Unhappy

He's speaking the "Truth"......I can attest that technicians will either "Take the Premium Oil for themselves or Disposal of it the conventional way"...

Bottomline: It's Not The Dealerships But Those Peoples Integrity That Work In Those Intuitions...

PS: Read Post #139

The following 2 users liked this post by 16GSF00336:
danielTRLK (06-19-17), Leander311 (06-19-17)
Old 06-19-17, 10:44 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ROK
Your favorite chef might actually be mixing his organic phlegm to your to die for pasta dish with that incredible cream sauce. Your significant other of many years might also be considering putting you n rotation or had you on rotation in the past.

For some or many of us, we actually have a life and understand to live a good life, you don't have time to control everything. Get a life is my best advice because what you're arguing is an entirely different topic.
The following 3 users liked this post by danielTRLK:
JT2MA71 (06-19-17), Leander311 (06-19-17), lobuxracer (06-19-17)
Old 06-19-17, 05:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK

Sounds like you are big fan of leasing. That would be the only time I wouldn't really care what the dealer did because I could point to my stack of receipts and say with absolute honesty, "I followed the maintenance plan prescribed by my dealership" to completely exonerate myself from anything bad that might crop up.

But ordinarily someone with this inclination wouldn't bother wasting his/her time on a thread like this. Maybe your life is lacking and you decided to poke your head into something where you really have no interest at all. I don't know your motivations, but telling me to get a life is a pretty sad commentary.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
BossMoss (06-21-17), danielTRLK (06-19-17), JT2MA71 (06-19-17), ToYourGSE (12-27-22)
Old 06-19-17, 09:04 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
Repeated post -

Daniel Mackey
123 Great Street
Schaumburg, Il. 60173
Daniel@yahoo.com
630-000-1234
you're about 2 hours from me. have meetings up in schaumburg all the time. also do my shopping there.
Old 06-20-17, 06:02 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

But ordinarily someone with this inclination wouldn't bother wasting his/her time on a thread like this. Maybe your life is lacking and you decided to poke your head into something where you really have no interest at all. I don't know your motivations, but telling me to get a life is a pretty sad commentary.
After looking at some of his other posts, I immediately regretted replying to him... Hungry trolls should not be fed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Leander311:
JT2MA71 (06-20-17), lobuxracer (06-23-17)

Quick Reply: Real or Synthetic Oil....