RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Resonator delete on Borla exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 11:04 AM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RYLITT
I'm 100% against modifying the Borla in any shape or form, unless you find a way to change the tips, that's the only thing I'd want to do. Curious to hear it with the PPE headers, but mine sounds pretty angry, and many can attest to that. Feel free to watch some videos at http://instagram.com/wtrcf
I think I'm going to keep resonators for now, curious to see how it hears in person after install!

Originally Posted by Sparker
I would like to add that when you go for installation make sure you have the the shop do some spot welds around the connection joints. The entire installation should be no more than 1 hour and cost $100-150. It's literally a bolt-on and spot welding the joints.
The lexus dealer quoted me $145 for install. What is the reasoning for the spot welds? Just curious what the issue it there.
Old 03-11-17, 01:07 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

I think there is a concern of the Borla welds being weak.
145 sounds reasonable for a dealer install. Might get alittle cheaper elsewhere. Id pay that to keep the service department In the Loop so to speak.
Old 03-11-17, 05:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

^^^^No the welds don't leak. The connections do. Borla uses as primitive clamping system IMO. Again, just my opinion, I recommend anyone with a Borla exhaust get all the connections welded, and throw the clamps away.

Lou
Old 03-11-17, 06:43 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^No the welds don't leak. The connections do. Borla uses as primitive clamping system IMO. Again, just my opinion, I recommend anyone with a Borla exhaust get all the connections welded, and throw the clamps away.

Lou
Alright so just ask for spot welds on the connections?
Old 03-11-17, 07:19 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Thx Lou Thats what i was trying to say
Old 03-11-17, 10:18 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF100
Alright so just ask for spot welds on the connections?
Yeah, or throw the clamps out and get the entire connection welded like Flow said. The only reason I went with spot welds is because it will be easier to break the weld and remove the exhaust later down the line.
Old 03-13-17, 07:27 AM
RCF100
Driver

I'll make sure to mention spot welds to the installer.

Has anyone heard the borla exhaust and meister exhausts in person? Would like to know how different they sound in person, hard to go by videos!
Old 03-13-17, 09:51 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll make sure to mention spot welds to the installer.

Has anyone heard the borla exhaust and meister exhausts in person? Would like to know how different they sound in person, hard to go by videos!
I've heard the Magnaflow, Borla (mine), and Meisterschaft(no valves) in person. We also had a professional photographer/videographer that shoots for a lot of huge car industry names with us and he said he liked the sound of my Borla most. The Meisterschaft is probably louder, Magnaflow when painted black looks better than all three in my opinion, and mine is the only one that crackles and pops like a beast. All in what you want. Borla did a good job. I'll be posting a video of my comparison between stock and Borla soon. I'll try and get my buddy's Meisterschaft exhaust comparison as well.
Old 03-13-17, 10:12 AM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by RYLITT
I've heard the Magnaflow, Borla (mine), and Meisterschaft(no valves) in person. We also had a professional photographer/videographer that shoots for a lot of huge car industry names with us and he said he liked the sound of my Borla most. The Meisterschaft is probably louder, Magnaflow when painted black looks better than all three in my opinion, and mine is the only one that crackles and pops like a beast. All in what you want. Borla did a good job. I'll be posting a video of my comparison between stock and Borla soon. I'll try and get my buddy's Meisterschaft exhaust comparison as well.
Great review thank you! And you are totally stock other than an untouched borla system? Haven't seen magnaflow yet! The crackles/pops sentence is good to hear, love that sound. Also being that you said meister is "probably" louder makes it sound like the difference isn't as crazy as I thought initially. I just couldn't justify the $4k price tag for Gthaus
Old 03-13-17, 03:39 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Great review thank you! And you are totally stock other than an untouched borla system? Haven't seen magnaflow yet! The crackles/pops sentence is good to hear, love that sound. Also being that you said meister is "probably" louder makes it sound like the difference isn't as crazy as I thought initially. I just couldn't justify the $4k price tag for Gthaus
I'm pretty sure he was cat back & valve-less. They're both loud. Regarding my setup, I just have an intake, no aftermarket headers or anything.
Old 03-20-17, 02:56 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by Sparker
Yeah, or throw the clamps out and get the entire connection welded like Flow said. The only reason I went with spot welds is because it will be easier to break the weld and remove the exhaust later down the line.
When having the exhaust spot welded at the connections, are the clamps still being used or are they thrown out and not used? Want to make sure the lexus installer doesn't do the wrong thing lol
Old 03-30-17, 06:48 PM
RCF100
Driver

Just to update this, I had the exhaust installed with resonators still in. I think it sound phenomenal as is, definitely has a great cold start and sounds good when you start leaning into it a bit. Still considering resonator delete though So may still end up getting it done! Not sure how it will change the sound though.
Old 04-22-17, 01:40 AM
nttkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey RCF100. I just bought the Borla yesterday, they arrive by next Friday. Are you still with resonators on or did you go and delete them? I'm curious.
Old 04-22-17, 09:51 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nttkr
Hey RCF100. I just bought the Borla yesterday, they arrive by next Friday. Are you still with resonators on or did you go and delete them? I'm curious.

what are you talking about? A Borla cat-back eliminates everything including the resonator
Old 04-22-17, 10:10 AM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by nttkr
Hey! I still have them on as of now and still love it :-).

Originally Posted by ssmoked
what are you talking about? A Borla cat-back eliminates everything including the resonator
The borla system has its own set of resonators.

Quick Reply: Resonator delete on Borla exhaust