RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TVD vs Torsen HP loss??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 02:33 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
I haven't seen a real TVD vs Torsen match-up; not from a dig or roll. I would be interested in seeing this, but only if both cars were stock. We know what TVD offers on the track, but does it help put power down from 0? It does make sense that if TVD is part of drivetrain and adds to drivetrain loss, then the car would yield less rwhp. This is speculation of course. Then again, I would need to see dynos to agree fully. The TVD is only 41 lbs heavier than the torsen car and that's negligible.
even then, many other factors such as driver mod (shifting points, paddle vs auto shift), driver weight, how much gas in tank, brand of gas, tire pressure can and will effect the result
Old 03-07-17, 02:48 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
even then, many other factors such as driver mod (shifting points, paddle vs auto shift), driver weight, how much gas in tank, brand of gas, tire pressure can and will effect the result
Yep. I will add driving TVD in Sport+ and slalom is a hoot!
Old 03-07-17, 06:38 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure about the quarter as I haven't run a non tvd, but on the road course, you can feel the TVD effect even as a passenger.
i would want this on every car I order if available.
Old 03-07-17, 08:04 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Katrcf
Not sure about the quarter as I haven't run a non tvd, but on the road course, you can feel the TVD effect even as a passenger.
i would want this on every car I order if available.
Had a 2015 with the Torsen, now a 2017 with the TVD, enjoy the feel of driving the TVD car much better.
Old 03-07-17, 09:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

I've played with the TVD in the GS F. I like the OS Giken in my IS F far better. I also like the 300 pounds lighter in the IS F. I've seen the Giken do things I though could only be done with active control. It's worth its weight in gold for sure, and it's not exactly light.
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 10:55 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Talking

With all this talk and speculation, how about us owners just set a meet time and do some races. Drag way or highway pull in Mexico
The following users liked this post:
Lexura1414 (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 11:13 AM
paulwall4
Lead Lap

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

With all this talk and speculation, how about us owners just set a meet time and do some races. Drag way or highway pull in Mexico
Sounds like a plan!
Old 03-08-17, 12:40 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

lets just talk about pure physics for straight line speed. rc-f, same weight driver, same gas amount in the tank, same everything. one has TVD and one doesnt. one will weight 65 more lbs and on top of that, its in the drive line. tell me why wouldn't the heavier one be a bit slower?
Old 03-08-17, 01:42 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

this is actually a pretty interesting topic honestly, I never really considered TVD would affect power output
Old 03-08-17, 01:55 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have been pretty sure the TVD will slow the car down in straight line acceleration and also in the top end (150+ mph). Which is why I didn't want it. Without solid proof it's all conjecture anyway. But my opinion is the only one that matters to me when it comes to my money.

I'm also curious how the TVD will handle increased power output, like from forced induction. I don't know the mechanics involved, but I speculate that it will not be as strong as the LSD. More complexity means more links to break.

If I were a road course junkie I think I would insist on it. But the LSD suits my needs.
Old 03-08-17, 02:32 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
lets just talk about pure physics for straight line speed. rc-f, same weight driver, same gas amount in the tank, same everything. one has TVD and one doesnt. one will weight 65 more lbs and on top of that, its in the drive line. tell me why wouldn't the heavier one be a bit slower?
The 65lb difference between the two cars would mean as much as two non-TVD cars racing and one driver weighs 160 and the other 225. In the real world 65 lb doesn't equate to any measurable advantage imo. You can take two 2015 cars with the same mods and dyno them right after the other and still have a difference in RWHP because the way one owner broke in his engine and how the learning ECU had adapted to aggressive driving. I was more interested in the CF pieces than the actual TVD but this heavy coupe does benefit from assisted rear rotation

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-08-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 03:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

The 65lb difference between the two cars would mean as much as two non-TVD cars racing and one driver weighs 160 and the other 225. In the real world 65 lb doesn't equate to any measurable advantage imo. You can take two 2015 cars with the same mods and dyno them right after the other and still have a difference in RWHP because the way one owner broke in his engine and how the learning ECU had adapted to aggressive driving. I was more interested in the CF pieces than the actual TVD but this heavy coupe does benefit from assisted rear rotation
And how the factory's tolerances stacked out on any individual build. The most critical measurement in any competition engine is squish. The factory ALWAYS errs on the side of too much squish with the tolerances they specify because too much just means the engine won't make full power. Too little means the pistons will hit the heads. But when you get it right, it's like magic.
Old 03-08-17, 06:06 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

understood. 65lbs to most people is a lot and its huge to me. i know I'm not the only one who use to take out the spare tire in the back and felt a difference, lol. you have to think, some of the fastest ISF owners, they take out spare, jack, front engine cover (due to heatsoak as well), . with RR racing's new battery, taking out the factory tools in the rcf, lighter wheels/tires, 2 piece brakes, lighter exhaust , dipping in in the low 3800s lbs which should be a noticeable feel and improvement.
Old 03-08-17, 06:24 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
understood. 65lbs to most people is a lot and its huge to me. i know I'm not the only one who use to take out the spare tire in the back and felt a difference, lol. you have to think, some of the fastest ISF owners, they take out spare, jack, front engine cover (due to heatsoak as well), . with RR racing's new battery, taking out the factory tools in the rcf, lighter wheels/tires, 2 piece brakes, lighter exhaust , dipping in in the low 3800s lbs which should be a noticeable feel and improvement.
yup. On the drag strip every 100 lb less equates to .1 sec faster 1/4 mile
Old 03-08-17, 06:36 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

yup. On the drag strip every 100 lb less equates to .1 sec faster 1/4 mile
agree with you on this! The TVD RCF is only 41 lbs heavier than Torsen RCF. The TVD does weigh 65lbs more than Torsen, but the TVD car gets CF roof and rear wing and brings the difference to 41 lbs. An RCF with Torsen and CF bits would be the lightest yet. Have they separated the CF from performance package for 2017?

Quick Reply: TVD vs Torsen HP loss??