RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Exhaust- best performance gains with moderate sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 02:59 PM
MarkSk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust- best performance gains with moderate sound

Hey everyone - I know exhausts seem to be a hot topic on the forums lately. I have read through most of the threads and it seems the focus is mostly on increased sound versus increased performance. I may be one of the few who would like to maximize performance gains while adding a moderate increase in sound levels. Prior to my 2017 RC F, I had a Roush Mustang and while I did like the sound, it was a little much.

I have been considering the Meistershaft with valves because I believe it adds the most performance improvement but I am a little concerned it is going to be too loud, even with the valves closed.

I know "too loud" is subjective and in the ear of the beholder so it is impossible to answer for anyone other than your own experience and preference.

There are not many Dyno charts out there so it is really difficult to know which is adding the most HP. From either experience or tests, what is the best exhaust out there for performance gains without going over-the-top loud? The Meistershaft with valves?

Thanks for advice/opinions.
Old 03-12-17, 05:09 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

I really like the Joez and PPE headers after I heard it on youtube. For me, I would want to have a exhaust that eliminates drone. I think the Borla exhaust mentioned on this forum is a tad quieter than the Meistershaft. Have you looked into that?
Old 03-12-17, 05:15 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Exhaust

Check out the JoeZ exhaust. It's a quality exhaust with dyno proven gains..
Old 03-12-17, 06:15 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Without hearing the Borla in person, I can't say for sure. But my guess is that the full Meisterschaft with the valves open is louder than the full Borla. With the valves closed it might be quieter than the Borla.

AFAIK the full Meisterschaft provides the biggest power upgrade.

I only have the axle back Meisterschaft. I don't know what the gains are from the axle back alone. But I did notice some improvement. I find it to be just right on the sound level. I still have the stock midpipe with the resonators installed. I have no doubt that the exhaust would get obnoxiously loud if I were to remove the stock resonators. I'm fairly certain that "my" exhaust setup is quieter than the full Borla, valves or not. But again, I don't know the gains. I didn't get it for the performance, I got it for the sound. It sounds like nothing else on the road. You get what you pay for.

Don't judge based on videos. They never do any exhaust justice. If you want to compare for yourself, listen to them in person.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (03-12-17)
Old 03-12-17, 07:38 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkSk
Hey everyone - I know exhausts seem to be a hot topic on the forums lately. I have read through most of the threads and it seems the focus is mostly on increased sound versus increased performance. I may be one of the few who would like to maximize performance gains while adding a moderate increase in sound levels. Prior to my 2017 RC F, I had a Roush Mustang and while I did like the sound, it was a little much.

I have been considering the Meistershaft with valves because I believe it adds the most performance improvement but I am a little concerned it is going to be too loud, even with the valves closed.

I know "too loud" is subjective and in the ear of the beholder so it is impossible to answer for anyone other than your own experience and preference.

There are not many Dyno charts out there so it is really difficult to know which is adding the most HP. From either experience or tests, what is the best exhaust out there for performance gains without going over-the-top loud? The Meistershaft with valves?

Thanks for advice/opinions.
If you're not in a hurry, PPE is currently developing a valved exhaust for the RC-F. What they have told me is that with the valve closed, it will be close to stock noise levels, and loud with the valve open. As opposed to Meistershaft with reportedly goes from loud to louder.

They have told me that this exhaust will be available late spring or summer. They have also told me that they will be doing before and after dynos once they get it properly fitted. I'm sure they will announce it when it is ready. I'm very interested in this because, like you, I'm coming from a much louder car (Viper) and I don't want my Lexus to sound like a Harley...
The following 4 users liked this post by BossMoss:
ba2sy (03-14-17), drgrant (07-05-17), flowrider (03-12-17), ISFPOWER (03-12-17)
Old 03-12-17, 08:33 PM
MarkSk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BossMoss
If you're not in a hurry, PPE is currently developing a valved exhaust for the RC-F. What they have told me is that with the valve closed, it will be close to stock noise levels, and loud with the valve open. As opposed to Meistershaft with reportedly goes from loud to louder.

They have told me that this exhaust will be available late spring or summer. They have also told me that they will be doing before and after dynos once they get it properly fitted. I'm sure they will announce it when it is ready. I'm very interested in this because, like you, I'm coming from a much louder car (Viper) and I don't want my Lexus to sound like a Harley...
This sounds like exactly what I am looking for if the Dyno looks good! I am not in a hurry at all.

They give you any indication on price?
Old 03-12-17, 09:27 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

This sounds like exactly what I am looking for if the Dyno looks good! I am not in a hurry at all.

You know, I did not even ask. I believe they sell their headers for around $2,000. I was expecting a similar price on the exhaust, but depending on the tips and the options, it may be more. I'll ask them for a ballpark and let you know. They did tell me they would offer both round and oval tips.
Old 03-12-17, 10:40 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

I believe we were talking Mark. But the Borla is not a bad bang for your buck exhaust.

The Meister is loud to louder.

IF PPE makes an exhaust, it might be upwards of $3k.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-12-17, 11:30 PM
MarkSk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
I believe we were talking Mark. But the Borla is not a bad bang for your buck exhaust.

The Meister is loud to louder.

IF PPE makes an exhaust, it might be upwards of $3k.

-Josh
Yeah Josh, we were. As you can see, I am still trying to figure out what I want to do .
Old 03-13-17, 10:53 AM
BossMoss
Pole Position

The owner told me that their "target price" will be around $1900 for their race exhaust and $3100 for the dual mode exhaust.
Old 03-13-17, 10:55 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by BossMoss
The owner told me that their "target price" will be around $1900 for their race exhaust and $3100 for the dual mode exhaust.
I was on point with pricing.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-13-17, 05:36 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

To give you an idea of how loud the full Meisterschaft can be, here's a video:

Fast forward 1 minute. While it's hard to judge decibel level on a video just knowing how far away from the mic the car gets paints a pretty good picture of how loud it is.

I believe this video has been shared elsewhere on the forum and I also know which member it is but don't know if they want their name being thrown around...
Old 03-14-17, 10:31 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The Meistershaft will be loud with valves open that the Borla.
We had a customer about a month ago with a Borla exhaust switch to the full Meistershaft version.
He had a before and after video.

I'm going to see if I can contact him to send me the videos
1-855-998-8726
Old 03-14-17, 11:06 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
The Meistershaft will be loud with valves open that the Borla.
We had a customer about a month ago with a Borla exhaust switch to the full Meistershaft version.
He had a before and after video.

I'm going to see if I can contact him to send me the videos

borla is just right imo with loudness when needed and luxury gt. Any louder will put the rcf in the American muscle car category
Old 03-14-17, 11:15 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a valid opinion. The Meistershaft just has a unique tone. It's louder but definitely doesn't sound like American muscle.
1-855-998-8726

Quick Reply: Exhaust- best performance gains with moderate sound