RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone else drive sport+ 100% time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 12:21 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i prefer slalom tvd. More aggressive coupling bias than track so you can experience this nifty piece of tech at even slower street speeds.

For the tvd naysayers, go kick rocks because you have no idea what you're missing. E-diff is great tech.
Old 04-20-17, 06:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Go kick rocks when I can run the TVD against the OS Giken back to back? Nope. Like the Giken better.
Old 04-21-17, 05:48 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure about the Giken, haven't driven a car equipped with one, but the TVD is very impressive. I can even feel the improvement in handling from the passenger seat. Where we have a timed course and clock, it is a noticeable difference in lap times, usually 5-8% depending on driver.
Old 04-29-17, 04:54 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Katrcf
Not sure about the Giken, haven't driven a car equipped with one, but the TVD is very impressive. I can even feel the improvement in handling from the passenger seat. Where we have a timed course and clock, it is a noticeable difference in lap times, usually 5-8% depending on driver.
FWIW, Car and Driver did their own direct comparison test between two RC-Fs (one equipped with the Torsen LSD and one equipped with the TVD) on a 1.7 mile track.

The Torsen equipped RC-F pulled a lap time of 1:19.1 and the TVD equipped RC-F pulled a lap time of 1:18.7, which equates to about a 0.5% difference in lap time.

Old 04-30-17, 12:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
FWIW, Car and Driver did their own direct comparison test between two RC-Fs (one equipped with the Torsen LSD and one equipped with the TVD) on a 1.7 mile track.

The Torsen equipped RC-F pulled a lap time of 1:19.1 and the TVD equipped RC-F pulled a lap time of 1:18.7, which equates to about a 0.5% difference in lap time.

Add this to the discussion:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...hats-the-diff/

Torsen vs. Kaaz vs. OS Giken. Guess which setup posted fastest individual lap and fastest average lap?
Old 04-30-17, 07:06 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer

In the hands of professional drivers where turn-in, trail braking, rotating and lines mean something, the difference is .5%. A professional can adjust their driving technique between a clutch type and elsd on the fly and know exactly how each system performs and take it to the limit. Novices would drive each car exactly the same. Its like driving a AWD like a RWD car through corners, you can get on the gas so much sooner with the AWD. In the hands of everyday joe drivers who rarely or ever take their car to the track, it inspires confidence to push the car harder than with just the LSD. After all, I believe that was Lexus' intention with the TVD, to inspire confidence in regular drivers. I suspect the difference would be greater in that situation.
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (05-01-17)
Old 05-01-17, 07:28 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
In the hands of professional drivers where turn-in, trail braking, rotating and lines mean something, the difference is .5%. A professional can adjust their driving technique between a clutch type and elsd on the fly and know exactly how each system performs and take it to the limit. Novices would drive each car exactly the same. Its like driving a AWD like a RWD car through corners, you can get on the gas so much sooner with the AWD. In the hands of everyday joe drivers who rarely or ever take their car to the track, it inspires confidence to push the car harder than with just the LSD. After all, I believe that was Lexus' intention with the TVD, to inspire confidence in regular drivers. I suspect the difference would be greater in that situation.
You make a great point about Lexus' intention with the TVD and how that could lead to better lap times for everyday enthusiast drivers (5-8%) vice professional drivers (0.5%). Those that are not professional drivers can more easily and confidently reach the limits of the vehicle via an advanced stability and traction control system which utilizes the available tech of the TVD to better maintain stability and improve agility while still keeping the driver out of hot water.