RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Stop making RC 350 F

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 09:16 PM
ciscokid
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, when I leased the car they were running a special where you basically pay for 2 years on the lease (mine was about $11K) no interest, they gave me a great discount, threw in lots of options etc. I don't believe in doing leases but this was simply too good to pass up. You either pay the balance at the end of the 2 years, turn in the car and the same thing again (or not) on a car of your choice. I was thinking about doing the same thing with the new 2017 model but they told me they don't do that type of lease anymore as they lost too much $$. Go figure. And when I went to Lexus initially it was only because they sent me a letter that said they'd give me $50 AMEX card just for test driving a car. I thought what the hey, as I was looking to sell my mint condition 1999 SC400 and wanted to see what I wanted to replace it with. Never ever planned on buying a car that day. Was my first new car ever as I did not believe in buying new cars. Until that fateful day 2 years ago. Based on used car pricing, what my car is worth today either in a trade in, private sell, etc. it is worth a lot more than what my buyout is so I guess I did ok.

-CK
Old 05-20-17, 03:15 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been getting like 25-26 on my F, i use cruise control alot. so i don't get tickets
Old 05-20-17, 05:53 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Ok. My point is the confusing "F", vs "F Sport", or "F whatever". Then there is the "RC Turbo F Sport" !!!

Which one is the rare "high performance model? We in the know " know". But a lot of people out there does not and may think the "RC Turbo F Sport" is the one!! This is my point.

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Just to clarify, the RC 350 was being discussed, not the 200t, hence my post specific to the 350.
Old 05-21-17, 11:24 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

no it's a 5 liter F. It get's 35mpg at 60 on cruise. but I don't usually drive on cruise, I'm just saying I wouldn't mind every once in a while have a little engine with the same trans that drank 87.
Old 05-22-17, 09:19 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
no it's a 5 liter F. It get's 35mpg at 60 on cruise. but I don't usually drive on cruise, I'm just saying I wouldn't mind every once in a while have a little engine with the same trans that drank 87.
if you are only getting 15 mpg in an "F" driving 180 miles a day, then it is your driving habits and a smaller engine with an 8 speed isn't going to help. a 180 mile commute at 75mph should be getting you well above 21mpg, I drove cross country in my "F" and managed over 30 mpg from CA to TN with an average speed of 80mph according to my "F's" mpg computer.

if you are always driving in Sport+ mode you aren't even using the 8 speeds, you are using 6 until you get above 75mph and only if you are cruising, if you are jack rabbiting and varying your speeds then you are sitting in 5th most of the time unless you are manually shifting, and there again is your issue, the transmission even in Sport+ will shift around 2K rpm if you are driving mildly and it will shove the car into the highest gear as quickly as possible in "D" mode. Where in manual you are probably winding it up to 6-7K rpm between shifts..

so it is your driving habits that are killing MPG, the engine size isn't going to matter.. I can drop my wife's Camry Hybrid from 41mpg average that she gets; down to 20mpg if I drive it like I drive my "F"
Old 05-22-17, 10:50 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

no, a smaller engine with a nice little 8 speed will help. lol I know it's my driving habits, again, I said I'd enjoy another small engine vehicle with RWD and an 8 speed and 87 fuel compatability for the specific reason of having something sporty and fuel efficient.
Old 05-22-17, 12:45 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
no, a smaller engine with a nice little 8 speed will help. lol I know it's my driving habits, again, I said I'd enjoy another small engine vehicle with RWD and an 8 speed and 87 fuel compatability for the specific reason of having something sporty and fuel efficient.
well the RC 200T has an 8-speed according to the Lexus site. 22/32/26 mpg rating.. RC-F is 16/25/19 mpg rating, and you are getting 3/5's of the highway rating @ 15mpg, so 3/5's of the RC 200T would put you at 19.2mpg Not a big difference seeing as a lot of us are getting more than 19 in the RC-F already.

a bigger fuel tank means more weight, so less mpg.. Personally I think the RC-F is well balanced, my previous vehicle was a 2012 Camaro, which had a 19gallon tank and took 17 on a fill typically, I was barely able to squeeze 220 miles out of it, I averaged 13mpg, In the RC-F which has more power and a smaller tank @ 17gallons and typically takes 15 at a fill, and I get 300-325 miles out of 15 gallons so a 21mpg average, driving the exact same commute I drove the Camaro.

Costs me less to run the RC-F a 100 miles further.

FWIW I have received the RC 200T 3 times as a loaner while my RC-F was getting it's 5k services, and I prefer the RC-F, the 200T is a nice little slot car, but not something I would want to drive on a daily basis, I found the seats less comfortable, and the handling way too soft and spongy.
Old 05-22-17, 03:26 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
well the RC 200T has an 8-speed according to the Lexus site. 22/32/26 mpg rating.. RC-F is 16/25/19 mpg rating, and you are getting 3/5's of the highway rating @ 15mpg, so 3/5's of the RC 200T would put you at 19.2mpg Not a big difference seeing as a lot of us are getting more than 19 in the RC-F already.

a bigger fuel tank means more weight, so less mpg.. Personally I think the RC-F is well balanced, my previous vehicle was a 2012 Camaro, which had a 19gallon tank and took 17 on a fill typically, I was barely able to squeeze 220 miles out of it, I averaged 13mpg, In the RC-F which has more power and a smaller tank @ 17gallons and typically takes 15 at a fill, and I get 300-325 miles out of 15 gallons so a 21mpg average, driving the exact same commute I drove the Camaro.

Costs me less to run the RC-F a 100 miles further.

FWIW I have received the RC 200T 3 times as a loaner while my RC-F was getting it's 5k services, and I prefer the RC-F, the 200T is a nice little slot car, but not something I would want to drive on a daily basis, I found the seats less comfortable, and the handling way too soft and spongy.
Jesus.
Am I doing something wrong?
I get 14mpg on eco-mode.
Old 05-22-17, 05:31 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Jesus.
I get 14mpg on eco-mode.
heavy foot?

I can get 24+ driving in ECO 100% of the time.. I did some long term testing in each mode a year ago:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...m-testing.html

ECO mode Avg. MPG
Vehicle Computer reports 24.2
Manual Calculation reports. 23.9
Avg. miles on 14.5 gallons 345 - 350

Normal mode Avg. MPG
Vehicle Computer reports 20.4
Manual Calculation reports. 19.9
Avg. miles on 14.5 gallons 280 - 290

Sport mode Avg. MPG
Vehicle Computer reports 18.4
Manual Calculation reports. 17.9
Avg. miles on 14.5 gallons 250 - 260

Sport+ mode Avg. MPG
Vehicle Computer reports 16.1
Manual Calculation reports. 15.8
Avg. miles on 14.5 gallons 220 - 230

I've been driving in purely Sport mode for 3 months and am up to 21mpg avg. Ever since the fuel pump TSB flash I noticed "normal" and "sport" aren't much different and I like the Sport Gauge look much better.
Old 05-26-17, 02:06 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Jesus.
I get 14mpg on eco-mode.
when in eco mode don't ever use more than 5 little segments on the reverse tachometer. I literally don't know what else to call it lmao, but i mean 5 little notches. haha then you'll be good and people will stare like why your driving a $70k car like a prius haha
Old 05-26-17, 11:14 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Haha, when I drove in eco even the Pruis passed me!!! 😕😞

Originally Posted by shadow1118
when in eco mode don't ever use more than 5 little segments on the reverse tachometer. I literally don't know what else to call it lmao, but i mean 5 little notches. haha then you'll be good and people will stare like why your driving a $70k car like a prius haha
Old 05-28-17, 09:04 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

h
Originally Posted by lexusrus
This is another example of how the public is confused about "F" versus "F Sport" versus "F Sport Turbo as in the RC 200 F Sport Turbo" or whatever "F something".

One thing is in our favor is that not too many people out in the public knows exactly what the true Lexus "F" cars are. So some may think why paying almost twice for the RCF versus the RC 200 Turbo? Therefore, I think that is partly why Lexus true "F" cars are not selling as well as Lexus HQ wanted. Hence heavy discounts when the inventory piles up. This is EXCELLENT for us who are in the know.

It even has their own sales people confused. Was at a Lexus dealer in Nashville yesterday and a salesman was trying to create small talk and was telling me I was looking at a GS F ( I was looking at the F Sport) and he was like yeah, "The F Sport is over there with the 400 + HP."

To me, it's not that confusing.

Smh.
Old 06-23-21, 10:56 PM
Carrar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "F" vs "fsport"

To anyone who doesn't know. The best way to differentiate between a "F" car and "FSport" is that the "F" car is the highest performance cars Lexus puts out. Such as the RCF, GSF, and ISF. Usually those have badges that are black with a blue background. They also don't have the saying F Sport on the badge and just have "F".

Then any car that has a "FSPORT" is just a performance package similar to how BMW has an M2 vs a M240i. The fsport trim model would be a different interior with cosmetic and mechanical upgrades. The lexus LS I had was optioned with the fsport trim model. This gets a diffrent interior. Brembo brakes, and a diffuser. But this isn't a real "F" car. Hope that gives a better idea!

ISF badge. This is a true F car.

Anything that has this is an f sport trim model or a package.

Ok. My point is the confusing "F", vs "F Sport", or "F whatever". Then there is the "RC Turbo F Sport" !!!

Which one is the rare "high performance model? We in the know " know". But a lot of people out there does not and may think the "RC Turbo F Sport" is the one!! This is my point.

Last edited by Carrar; 06-23-21 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-26-21, 08:04 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

All of the RC cars are very much alike, so will be confused by a "non car person".
First day I drove my RCF to work, a co-worker stated "nice car, my grandma has a RC-200 just like yours"!
Old 06-26-21, 08:34 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Audi - S Line vs S
BMW - M Sport vs M
Lexus - F Sport vs F

Seems pretty common these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by sqlboy2000:
05RollaXRS (06-26-21), Carrar (06-26-21)

Quick Reply: Stop making RC 350 F