RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dealership put to much oil in my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 10:40 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Dealership put to much oil in my car

So I got an oil change and they put to much oil in my car, i just got a second look and my moms boyfriend who works on cars alot, said they put to much oil in my car. How do i approach this at the dealership? Im gonna go first thing in the morning. Im upset about this., I went to a car show this morning and drove it pretty hard , hitting redline multiple times. My engines probably ok right? i think they only put a quart, max 2 over. i think 10 quarts. they added , ****ing retards. They also questioned me like 5 times if its an RC350 , couldnt even tell the difference. I don't want to go to the dealership and freak out but im so mad, btw im 23 years old. Inputs appreciated.
Old 05-21-17, 10:44 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

i got the oil change fri, and now its sunday, going first thing in the morning. I cant believe they did this, I EVEN TOLD THEM NOT TO OVERFILL IT LITERALLY SAID THAT
Old 05-21-17, 11:18 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

First off, hitting redline "multiple times" is a very very bad idea. Can't remember the last time I redlined my ISF, but in it's lifetime, over 9 years. I've hit redline less than a dozen times, purely by accident. Sounds like you're going to kill the engine yourself.

Second the oil capacity of your RCF, with a filter change, is 9.8 quarts. When I change the oil in my ISF I always put 10 quarts in it. It still runs great and with the mods I have made, have no thoughts of getting rid of it.

Lou
Old 05-21-17, 11:26 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Could be that they didn't even change the filter either. If so the tech would add what the book says but if filter wasn't changed and drained; now overfilled. My dealer in Colorado uses lesser grade techs for oil changes and quick maintenance items, car washes, etc. I'd say just drain a little off by removing plug for a few moments, but it's probably best to let the dealer see how overfull it is. Ask for the service manager, be nice-but firm. Don't get mad as you may need dealer for warranty work etc down the road, so don't burn the bridge. I know that some (first time or whatever) oil changes, car washes, etc are free but trust me these are things you should do yourself.
The following users liked this post:
shadow1118 (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 12:43 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
First off, hitting redline "multiple times" is a very very bad idea. Can't remember the last time I redlined my ISF, but in it's lifetime, over 9 years. I've hit redline less than a dozen times, purely by accident. Sounds like you're going to kill the engine yourself.

Second the oil capacity of your RCF, with a filter change, is 9.8 quarts. When I change the oil in my ISF I always put 10 quarts in it. It still runs great and with the mods I have made, have no thoughts of getting rid of it.

Lou
thats false. It's perfectly fine redlining an engine after fully warmed up. It's a performance vehicle for gosh sakes and if red line is too much for the engine, the engineers would lower the rpm. Plus, the engine cuts off power way before any damage can be done, hence rev limiter.

what gets people in trouble is:

1. Modding their engines to the max and running it hard. Then wonder why the engine fails, explodes on the track, or throw cel. After all, the engineers that designed the car know a bit more and know the capability for the engine.
2. Being cheap on changing fluids and plug.
3. Not letting engine fully warm up before redlining

I redline all my vehicles on a daily basis numerous times and never had an issue. I do keep it stock besides exhaust and air filter. I know guys that mod the crap out of same vehicles I had and had failures at halve my mile.
Plus, redlining an engine helps with carbon build up and oil sludge
shadow1118 (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 12:45 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shadow1118
So I got an oil change and they put to much oil in my car, i just got a second look and my moms boyfriend who works on cars alot, said they put to much oil in my car. How do i approach this at the dealership? Im gonna go first thing in the morning. Im upset about this., I went to a car show this morning and drove it pretty hard , hitting redline multiple times. My engines probably ok right? i think they only put a quart, max 2 over. i think 10 quarts. they added , ****ing retards. They also questioned me like 5 times if its an RC350 , couldnt even tell the difference. I don't want to go to the dealership and freak out but im so mad, btw im 23 years old. Inputs appreciated.
for the amount time this topic had been posted here, thought everyone would check the oil level before they leave
shadow1118 (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 01:34 PM
testmetest
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
hitting redline "multiple times" is a very very bad idea. Can't remember the last time I redlined my ISF, but in it's lifetime, over 9 years. I've hit redline less than a dozen times, purely by accident. Sounds like you're going to kill the engine yourself.
Obviously, the plural of anecdote is not data. It goes two ways, admittedly, for both for you and for me... but these are Lexuses we're talking about so I bet on reliability:

You have a 9 year old ISF as do I. But, you only redlined it less than a dozen times over 9 years. I do so daily, over a -NINE- year, 100,000- miles period.

So here's my experience: I have over 100,000 miles on my 2008 ISF. Let me repeat because some people with Lexus take it for granted: I have over 100,000 miles on my ISF. I floor it and redline it at least once daily without fail. The roar is intoxicating. Hell, it's better than sex. It raises my testosterone level which in turn shortens my recover period from the gym, which means I can go back to the gym sooner and make even more gains. This is important because I'm an old bastard with a limp ****. Hell, it's better than morning coffee. I save $10 a day ($360 a year or $32,400 over 9 years - Jesus Christ) because I don't need to stop at Starbucks. I just floor the mother****er and I'm awake. This is all evidence-based science: Flooring it = higher testosterone = shorter exercise recovery period = bigger muscle. Of course more testosterone also = shorter life span but whatever. Not my problem. As the old joke goes, "Why do men die first? Because they want to."

The point being: I, too, have a 9 year old ISF with over (a freaking) 100,000 miles. I floor it from zero to 60 pretty much every day. I may or may not drive 100+ mph monthly (take that plausible deniability) and I haven't a care in the world regarding reliability. I guess I may be "killing your engine," but, after 9 years and over 100,000 miles, if it's killing my engine, who cares? I had a hell of a ride. It's still performing marvelously (and sounds better than sex every goddamn time I floor it.)

I feel sorry for you, not in a smug-I'm-better-than-you sort of way, but in an, "I wish you could have enjoyed it as much as me sort of way." You redlined it less than a dozen times in 9 years? Whereas I enjoyed it's gripping, testosterone-raising, exhilarating, redlining, spine-bending, aural symphony every goddamn day since I bought it 9 years and freaking 100,000 mile ago, you have only floored it less than a dozen times? Enjoy it man! It's a Lexus! The reason the Lexus LFA kicks *** (among many reasons), is, it not only it has an absolutely amazing time around the Nurburgring, but Lexus designed it for absolute reliability. There is no need to pamper it because Ferrari will charge $10,000 for tire changes, or Porsche will charge $10,000 for brake pad changes. It's a Lexus. The reliability and maintenance cost is predictable (and reasonable).

Enjoy it! Don't pamper it!

Your mileage may vary.

That said, now 9 years and over 100,000 miles later, I'm now looking for an RCF replacement (once they upgrade the RCF low-grade DPI dash crap, hopefully with the 2018 refresh - c'mon man, what's with this CGI jaggedy crap?).
Old 05-21-17, 02:42 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
for the amount time this topic had been posted here, thought everyone would check the oil level before they leave
that "it wouldn't happen to me mentality", thanks for the reply, I also never redline , or drive it hard until after its warmed up, when I always do in eco mode and and let everything warm up slow!!
Old 05-21-17, 02:50 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

No one care to ask how he is checking the engine oil level?

How are you figuring out that you have too much oil?
Old 05-21-17, 02:52 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

that "it wouldn't happen to me mentality", thanks for the reply, I also never redline , or drive it hard until after its warmed up, when I always do in eco mode and and let everything warm up slow!!
dont over worry about it. I drove over 1000 miles before I caught it and warned erveyone.

Can never trust a dealership's work
shadow1118 (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 02:59 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

dont over worry about it. I drove over 1000 miles before I caught it and warned erveyone.

Can never trust a dealership's work
went to a naples cars n coffee show this morning ,it was so awesome, a older dude let me sit in his lambo and take a picture. there was an ISF, my car , and two other altezzas , a mclaren , suped up beamers. some z's. first car show ever.
Old 05-21-17, 03:02 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

went to a naples cars n coffee show this morning ,it was so awesome, a older dude let me sit in his lambo and take a picture. there was an ISF, my car , and two other altezzas , a mclaren , suped up beamers. some z's. first car show ever.
damn car shows start way too early. Can never wake up on time haha
Old 05-21-17, 03:08 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

damn car shows start way too early. Can never wake up on time haha
Lol yea it was definitely early, started at 9:30 , i hung out for like 2 and a half hours , good group of people , OH and a dude in a corvette wanted to race me! I was like hell noooo!

Originally Posted by jkonquer
No one care to ask how he is checking the engine oil level?

How are you figuring out that you have too much oil?
I pulled the oil dipstick, and it was past the 2 dots , I though its suppose to be in the middle or at the top dot, but it was alot past it.
Old 05-21-17, 03:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Lol yea it was definitely early, started at 9:30 , i hung out for like 2 and a half hours , good group of people , OH and a dude in a corvette wanted to race me! I was like hell noooo!

I pulled the oil dipstick, and it was past the 2 dots , I though its suppose to be in the middle or at the top dot, but it was alot past it.
per the owners manual, you should wait 10min or so after the car fully warmed up.

But either way, I guarantee it's still over the top dot
shadow1118 (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 03:39 PM
MJG87
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I always overfill my cars slightly with a filter change, obviously within a sensible limit. I'll often go 0.3 or 0.4 quarts over (If I have converted that right, 300-400ml) has never caused me a drama. If the engine runs and sounds the same and isn't blowing smoke personally I wouldn't worry. Obviously its personal.

Quick Reply: Dealership put to much oil in my car