RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Advertisement on RCF

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-17, 08:03 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Advertisement on RCF

Another post had me thinking... why didn't Lexus advertise the RCF/ GSF on TV at all? I only see the regular RC seldomly on commercial. When I watch TV at night, the 100k Lexus LC500 commercial comes on very very often. If Lexus put half the advertisement on the RCF at its prime, they wouldn't have such slow sales after the initial orders and force heavy discounts to move units.
Old 06-04-17, 08:55 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

This is probably why they are advertising the LC500. Because they finally learned that the majority of people are not going to look to Lexus for a sports car unless they advertise it, most people still associate Lexus with just luxury reliable car for older people. The ISF RCF and GSF didn't or aren't selling all that well because unless you are a car enthusiast, you don't know about the car (and sometimes even if they are car enthusiasts, they still don't know about it) And if they plan to sell the LC500 with the price tag it comes with, they better advertise it everywhere they can... and with advertising the LC500, a lot of people will also learn about the RCF and GSF because they will pop up when they search for the LC, specially if they go to a dealership to see it so it's a win-win for them. If they had advertised the RCF more like the LC500, they probably would have sold more and easier like you said but then again, I'm happy they didn't because that meant a better price and discount and it also makes it rarer and unique since I barely ever see other RCFs on the road... and most people's jaw drops when they see it with that look of "woah! what the hell is that car!?"
The following users liked this post:
ssmoked (06-04-17)
Old 06-04-17, 09:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
This is probably why they are advertising the LC500. Because they finally learned that the majority of people are not going to look to Lexus for a sports car unless they advertise it, most people still associate Lexus with just luxury reliable car for older people. The ISF RCF and GSF didn't or aren't selling all that well because unless you are a car enthusiast, you don't know about the car (and sometimes even if they are car enthusiasts, they still don't know about it) And if they plan to sell the LC500 with the price tag it comes with, they better advertise it everywhere they can... and with advertising the LC500, a lot of people will also learn about the RCF and GSF because they will pop up when they search for the LC, specially if they go to a dealership to see it so it's a win-win for them. If they had advertised the RCF more like the LC500, they probably would have sold more and easier like you said but then again, I'm happy they didn't because that meant a better price and discount and it also makes it rarer and unique since I barely ever see other RCFs on the road... and most people's jaw drops when they see it with that look of "woah! what the hell is that car!?"
absolutely agree. Very true
Old 06-05-17, 08:44 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

My day job is in marketing/advertising. Trust that a company the size and age of Toyota did a ton of market research before deciding on a strategy for moving a product like the RC overall. That includes all of the models in that line. Research most certainly showed that they could move more RCs, ISs, and other lesser models and so they advertised that. The RC-F was shown in one or two of those commercials but only had one dedicated feature commercial (the one with the mini remote control car) that I saw on CNN in the mornings and such. If I think back I owned the 1999-2000 Civic Si (not promoted on TV), a 2002 Subaru WRX (not heavily promoted when it came out, there was only one dirt road commercial with some great rally driving), and a 2008 Infiniti G37s which never had a dedicated commercial ever. These are lower volume cars that it makes somewhat little sense to pay the millions in advertising to promote. Enthusiasts will know about it. As far as the LC goes, someone else got near the issue above, the LC is a halo car. The LFA does not count because it was too expensive and super low volume. Come to think of it, how many M4 commercials have you seen? C63 AMG? They advertised the M2 for a second (was not needed) and the Mercedes AMG GT for a second just to show off how pretty it was and the sounds it made. They are doing that with the LC in my opinion, the RC-F is too polarizing, expensive and poorly received by auto journalists to blow my ad budget on it.
Old 06-05-17, 01:45 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
My day job is in marketing/advertising. Trust that a company the size and age of Toyota did a ton of market research before deciding on a strategy for moving a product like the RC overall. That includes all of the models in that line. Research most certainly showed that they could move more RCs, ISs, and other lesser models and so they advertised that. The RC-F was shown in one or two of those commercials but only had one dedicated feature commercial (the one with the mini remote control car) that I saw on CNN in the mornings and such. If I think back I owned the 1999-2000 Civic Si (not promoted on TV), a 2002 Subaru WRX (not heavily promoted when it came out, there was only one dirt road commercial with some great rally driving), and a 2008 Infiniti G37s which never had a dedicated commercial ever. These are lower volume cars that it makes somewhat little sense to pay the millions in advertising to promote. Enthusiasts will know about it. As far as the LC goes, someone else got near the issue above, the LC is a halo car. The LFA does not count because it was too expensive and super low volume. Come to think of it, how many M4 commercials have you seen? C63 AMG? They advertised the M2 for a second (was not needed) and the Mercedes AMG GT for a second just to show off how pretty it was and the sounds it made. They are doing that with the LC in my opinion, the RC-F is too polarizing, expensive and poorly received by auto journalists to blow my ad budget on it.
I agree with you that Toyota/Lexus knows what they are doing, but I disagree on the LC being a halo car because its not really nicer/better than the RCF, only more expensive. Maybe it can be considered more of a halo car once a higher performance version comes out, but not yet, not in my mind. I just cant see many people spending $100k on a Lexus coupe, people who want performance will spend $100k on a 911 or Z06 and people who are looking for status or luxury have plenty of options with other Lexus cars and with Tesla, Maserati, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, and others.

I like Lexus, I wish they had advertised the RCF more but I also wish the RCF was smaller, lighter, and priced lower. In the end, I assume Toyota/Lexus knows what they are doing, but I don't always get it from my point of view.
Old 06-05-17, 03:57 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLexodus
I agree with you that Toyota/Lexus knows what they are doing, but I disagree on the LC being a halo car because its not really nicer/better than the RCF, only more expensive.

I like Lexus, I wish they had advertised the RCF more but I also wish the RCF was smaller, lighter, and priced lower. In the end, I assume Toyota/Lexus knows what they are doing, but I don't always get it from my point of view.
Quick response - I don't agree completely with the first quoted point above, hear me out though. It's not a halo in that it's an amazing piece of new performance engineering....but it is a very radical and very attractive new body shell that people say "whoa that new Lexus!" It's much more universally attractive than the RC. I'm betting research showed that. I do agree that the performance should not be much different. Same engine, more gears but not better-spaced ones, and even heavier if I recall correctly.

On your second quoted point - completely agree. RCF size from behind the wheel is not ideal. She needs a lot of room to run and is not fun on tight back road areas like some other cars I've owned. I think Toyota knows how to sell basic cars and is for some reason trying to figure out performance. Odd because they have done it before... and any car engineer should have known that weight would be an issue. Superleggera anyone? Removing weight has always been the way. Not wanting to spend on a new platform (they have the money!) was the big mistake.
Old 06-05-17, 04:45 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

It's much more universally attractive than the RC. I'm betting research showed that.
The front of the LC and regular RC literally look identical. They share the same non aggressive hood, plastic trim under the headlight, front bumper, and spindle grill. I would actually mistake the LC for the regular RC in the rear view mirror.
The LC actuallly look feminine
Old 06-05-17, 04:51 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BLexodus
I agree with you that Toyota/Lexus knows what they are doing, but I disagree on the LC being a halo car because its not really nicer/better than the RCF, only more expensive. Maybe it can be considered more of a halo car once a higher performance version comes out, but not yet, not in my mind. I just cant see many people spending $100k on a Lexus coupe, people who want performance will spend $100k on a 911 or Z06 and people who are looking for status or luxury have plenty of options with other Lexus cars and with Tesla, Maserati, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, and others.

LC is most definitely their halo car. Designed and engineered from the ground up (LF-LC concept car). Unfortunately, the RC was just a franken-car made from various platform pieces (front clip came from the GS sedan, the middle bit came from the extinct IS C, rear end from the IS). Those buying the LC likey have a real performance car in their garage as well. Seriously doubt anyone is going to track their LC

Also, none of those cars in your $100K list can compare to Japanese quality. I wouldn't worry too much, Lexus knows exactly their target audience for the LC.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (06-06-17)
Old 06-06-17, 06:46 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ssmoked
The front of the LC and regular RC literally look identical. They share the same non aggressive hood, plastic trim under the headlight, front bumper, and spindle grill. I would actually mistake the LC for the regular RC in the rear view mirror.
The LC actuallly look feminine
Fair enough, I will only speak to my lone opinion. I agree that the front of the RC regular and LC are similar, I think they both look good. I agree that you could call the LC feminine in appearance and I'm ok with that....I like women lol. I think the best looking car I've owned was the G37s coupe and it is curvy, some say feminine looking. Not like a Beetle looks like a ladies car but the car itself looks like a good looking lady. Works for me. Regarding the LC, forget research or anecdote then - I think that the LC is much better looking than the RC and if I could press a button and make my RC-F look like it, I would. It looks lower, wider and more exotic. The RC-F is certainly different but I think the LC is more attractive on the outside. Looks great on TV.
Old 06-06-17, 06:52 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Fair enough, I will only speak to my lone opinion. I agree that the front of the RC regular and LC are similar, I think they both look good. I agree that you could call the LC feminine in appearance and I'm ok with that....I like women lol. I think the best looking car I've owned was the G37s coupe and it is curvy, some say feminine looking. Not like a Beetle looks like a ladies car but the car itself looks like a good looking lady. Works for me. Regarding the LC, forget research or anecdote then - I think that the LC is much better looking than the RC and if I could press a button and make my RC-F look like it, I would. It looks lower, wider and more exotic. The RC-F is certainly different but I think the LC is more attractive on the outside. Looks great on TV.
Saw a LC in person at Thompson Lexus. I did not like it at all. The front looks like a is250/350. I prefer the looks of the aggressiveness of the RCF than the LC. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-06-17, 07:36 AM
Apone
Pole Position

I've only seen pictures and videos, none in the wild yet.
Old 06-06-17, 10:01 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

I've only seen pictures and videos, none in the wild yet.
lol. Might change your mind in person

i would never have such strong opinion about a car's appearance until seeing it in real life without the camera effects

Last edited by ssmoked; 06-06-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 12:24 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ssmoked
lol. Might change your mind in person

i would never have such strong opinion about a car's appearance until seeing it in real life without the camera effects
I'm certainly open to that and continue to keep my eye out. I was honest about never having seen one in person. To your point I think the RCF looks better in person than in photos. And to be clear ssmoked (you seem like an ok guy and I have seen you very active here) the opinion is just an opinion. I'm not looking to call anyone's baby ugly or sell my house to get an LC. There must be 10 other cars I would want at that price. I just happen to think it looks good. Besides, the conversation was about why it was not advertised and I stand by my comments on that.
Old 06-06-17, 01:06 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I think the problem is how people are approaching the LC. Most of us here are looking at it as a performance car but in reality, I believe, Lexus has this car in mind as a luxury coupe with good power and is not seeking to break any performance records or anything like that. If you see it a luxurious coupe and not a performance sports car, it is one hell of a car and it will impress a lot of people. The vast majority of the people out there only wants the car for the "status" or because they want a refined, nice, very luxurious coupe that is also sporty and powerful enough to give you a nice thrill ride. The audience they are targeting with the LC is not really going to be the guy that races the car and goes to the track etc etc... it's for that guy (or girl) that wants to take a cruise on a sunny weekend or wants to arrive to that fancy restaurant VIP style! I think Lexus is doing this pretty smart because if those going to the dealerships rather have a more aggressive sports car, they'll point them to the RCF or GSF 'cause even though they have the same engine, on paper and most likely in real life, both the RCF and GSF will put down better performance numbers than the LC.

Oh and yes, the RCF looks much more aggressive and mean than the LC in my opinion, the LC is just more refined and high class I guess... now when an LCF comes out... ooooh crap! can't wait to see what that is going to be like
Old 06-06-17, 01:31 PM
Apone
Pole Position

@Slash300zx - Agreed

Quick Reply: Advertisement on RCF