RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Invisibile Micro Chips on Windshield Appeared!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 03:50 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Invisibile Micro Chips on Windshield Appeared!!!

Hi! I used Aquapel Windshield Coating for the first time to repel water for easier cleaning. But all of a sudden invisible micro chips became not so invinsible anymore since the coating got into those micro chips. Is there any way to fill in those micro chips?

I think I saw in one of the commercials/ads that they use something to fill those mini/micro chips and they disappear. I searched in yelp but all of the reviews says windshield was replaced blah blah... Mine is not cracked or broken like theirs.
Old 07-27-17, 07:52 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Moving forward, what I'd consider doing (I do this on all my new cars) is applying ClearPlex to the front windshield. It's plastic film protection for your windshield. I always want to retain the factory installed windshield from new.

I can't speak to whether the ClearPlex will make your micro chips more or less noticeable. Good luck, bud.
The following users liked this post:
ba2sy (07-28-17)
Old 07-27-17, 08:16 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Moving forward, what I'd consider doing (I do this on all my new cars) is applying ClearPlex to the front windshield. It's plastic film protection for your windshield. I always want to retain the factory installed windshield from new.

I can't speak to whether the ClearPlex will make your micro chips more or less noticeable. Good luck, bud.
I am running ClearPlex...got it on the front right away...cheap protection in the long scheme of things...holding up well. If you track the car, it helps but will need to replace it sooner.
ba2sy (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 07:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

I tried Permatex windshield repair a few years back on an old Acura TL and did the job on a small chip.

ba2sy (07-28-17)
Old 07-31-17, 01:44 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Those "micro chips", not computer chips, are only visible during certain lighting. 99% of the time you will never see them. I would try not to worry about it.
Old 08-01-17, 12:03 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Those "micro chips", not computer chips, are only visible during certain lighting. 99% of the time you will never see them. I would try not to worry about it.
Yup! that was before Aquapel. But after Aquapel, a windshield coating, they showed up which makes them visible 99% of the time. Unless, the coating wears off or is removed. I need to have my winshield rock chips free before I do another windshield coating or clearplex in the future.
Old 08-01-17, 04:33 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

?Have you tried to clean it with some claybar and alcohol?
Old 08-05-17, 05:25 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I tried Permatex windshield repair a few years back on an old Acura TL and did the job on a small chip.

I tried looking at this. How many rock chips did you repair? Do you really have to use their setup? I have a bunch of small ones. I was wondering if I can just cover most of my windshield and get those pesky small micro rock chips.

Originally Posted by jkonquer
?Have you tried to clean it with some claybar and alcohol?
Not yet. It seems like they're disappearing but there's still some that shows up.
Old 08-05-17, 10:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Don't follow trucks with sand blowing out of them.

I got a new windshield after the old one finally cracked massively, but had all the "micro" chips from following a truck spewing sand on a road trip. Wish I had a dash cam to capture that event, I would have sued for paint and glass.

There are no good fixes for tiny chips in glass or paint. Every good fix involves new glass and/or new paint.

Aquapel does nothing either way. I have used RainX and Aquapel, and neither has made sand chips more visible (or invisible which would actually be a plus IMHO). If you are really concerned, clean your windshield with 0000 steel wool to remove anything that isn't glass, then treat with your favorite water dispersant.

FYI, there is a premoistened towelette for PPG Aquapel application. Did you use it before you put the Aquapel on the glass?