RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Owners dropped on lowering springs - CAUTION - Leaking shocks anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17 | 02:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Update: Got the OEM struts installed yesterday, on the original RSR springs. Will take my chances and see in a year from now.

What I might do though is put the car on blocks for the 4 months during winter storage to reduce the compression time. Any best practices/comments/suggestions?
Old 03-26-22 | 11:16 PM
liro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Update: Got the OEM struts installed yesterday, on the original RSR springs. Will take my chances and see in a year from now.

What I might do though is put the car on blocks for the 4 months during winter storage to reduce the compression time. Any best practices/comments/suggestions?
Hey, do you still have the car and the lowering springs? I was wondering how it's holding up as I'm facing the same dilemma!
cheers.
Old 03-27-22 | 01:01 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by liro
Hey, do you still have the car and the lowering springs? I was wondering how it's holding up as I'm facing the same dilemma!
cheers.
He sold the RCF a while back. General idea is, go with coil overs if you want to do it the right way. Springs are not generally a good idea especially for RCF since they all don't seem to work well with the OEM shocks. However, if you really want an option then swift springs are the only reliable choice, but I found even they are not as thick and strong as the OEM springs. Just that they are the best available options.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-27-22 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-27-22 | 09:50 AM
cvt
Racer

I had a unique experience by buying an RCF with RSR springs and not knowing it (you can look back at my post around two years ago). I bought the car thinking it was too jittery and a little skittish and thought maybe this is why people didn’t like the car. I came to find they had RSR springs and have them immediately removed for OEM. With the OEM springs felt the handling was much better and settled in. Stiffer (giggity) and lower doesn’t always mean better especially on public roads. Now that I have stickier summer tires I’m falling in love with the RCF again.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvt:
05RollaXRS (03-27-22), MCB1970 (03-28-22)
Old 03-27-22 | 10:18 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
I had a unique experience by buying an RCF with RSR springs and not knowing it (you can look back at my post around two years ago). I bought the car thinking it was too jittery and a little skittish and thought maybe this is why people didn’t like the car. I came to find they had RSR springs and have them immediately removed for OEM. With the OEM springs felt the handling was much better and settled in. Stiffer (giggity) and lower doesn’t always mean better especially on public roads. Now that I have stickier summer tires I’m falling in love with the RCF again.
The RSR springs actually are quite soft, which is how they achieve the aggressive drop. It is just that the suspension stroke is shortened with lowering spring. That is probably why you got the jittery sense. The swift springs have higher spring rates than the RSR (about 2 kg/mm more in the rear and 3.5 kg/mm more in the front). Even in that case, like I described above, the swift springs are not as thick or as strong as the OEM springs from what I read.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-27-22 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-27-22 | 02:14 PM
liro
Driver School Candidate

I've had these springs for years now and my car still remain stock. Been meaning to add some of my own personal touches to it but I've been too involved with other aspects of my life like buying a house, a car for the wife, that I just haven't had the time or money to put towards the car.

I guess they will go back in the storage then and sell them to somebody who wants to take the risks. Year after year, I just come back to this thread to remind myself not to put them on, to be honest. :-)
Old 03-27-22 | 03:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by liro
I've had these springs for years now and my car still remain stock. Been meaning to add some of my own personal touches to it but I've been too involved with other aspects of my life like buying a house, a car for the wife, that I just haven't had the time or money to put towards the car.

I guess they will go back in the storage then and sell them to somebody who wants to take the risks. Year after year, I just come back to this thread to remind myself not to put them on, to be honest. :-)
Yeah, if they are RSRs then that would be a good idea to sell them unopened. If they are Swift then you should be fine with those as they work well with RCF and never heard anyone having any issues (like I said above, their spring rates are higher and better matched to the OEM RCF dampers).
Old 03-28-22 | 10:42 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

I've had Swift springs installed for roughly 2 and a half years now and almost 50k miles. Several track days/weekends and shocks are still good. If I keep up visiting the track, I'll probably change up to coilovers at some point though. But I do like simple spring set ups, they look good, and I'm the guy that gets confused by so many adjustment options on coilovers.
The following users liked this post:
Amishmatt (01-13-23)